Thread: Farm Assured Beef and Lamb

Farm Assured Beef and Lamb

How viable is it to becoming Farm Assured? Currently selling 10-15 cattle and 150ish lambs. What costs are involved?

Ive tried looking into it online briefly, but doesnt seem to clear. It appears there are different assurers, who is best to go with?

Thanks

Re: Farm Assured Beef and Lamb

thought you would've had some replies by now josh ......i guess it depends on whether there's a premium in your area? or not being farm assured is affecting your ability to sell?

i'm in accs for my cereals because i couldn't sell them if i wasn't wouldn't really consider it for my few sheep though....although ,and it pains me to say it, assurance schemes force you to keep paperwork up to date...so on the 'straight and narrow' ish

sure better qualified people will answer

SAI Global 149.90 +VAT for beef and lamb. Greatest benefit is it reduces your likelihood of being pulled out for cross compliance inspections ("earned recognition"). Otherwise yes it depends on whether your customers want farm assured or not. Most of it you will be doing already, the pain in the a***e bit is you have to write it all down.

Quote Originally Posted by joshdonlan View Post
    How viable is it to becoming Farm Assured? Currently selling 10-15 cattle and 150ish lambs. What costs are involved?

Ive tried looking into it online briefly, but doesnt seem to clear. It appears there are different assurers, who is best to go with?

Thanks
    Do you sell dw or in the live market? If you sell lamb in the live market, it makes little/no difference (non ass lamb regularly making more locally). Finished cattle are different though, mostly because a higher proportion are controlled by the dw trade, so they call the tune. The FA premium on a relatively small number of finished cattle will (unfortunately) pay for your scheme membership.

Most of the FA requirements are legal requirements anyway, but you will have to do a few nonsensical extras each year, in order to keep the inspectors happy/in a job, but most are more of a paper exercise than a hindrance or cost. The biggest cost for most will be the membership fee and the time wasted entertaining an inspector for a couple of hours.

I'm no longer FA, and it makes no difference whatsoever to lambs in the live market. For cereals it costs me a fiver a ton penalty at most, but on my cereal area it's hard to justify the ar*e licking or cost required. If I had beef cattle, I would probably (begrudgingly) rejoin, as 'they' have that job tied up in knots.

Why not put beef through store market if penalised on finished ring. As long as they have 90 days to go before they go over age, there's always bidders who will get them assured.

thanks for the replies, most if not all stock is sold through the ring. I was just wondering what % wise being FA would add to the final value. It doesnt seem much.

Just searched and found this thread. Looking for answers myself which is best of the choices to go for. Are the joining costs/thoroughness in inspections all the same

Get yourself farm quality assured. It's the only thing separating you from imported food and a major bargaining chip for UK sellers. Most of it are things you either are or should be doing anyway, the rest is mainly cross compliance stuff which also is better in place before a department inspector comes.
    An annual or 18monthly farm quality assurance inspection forces you to keep on top of paperwork and if something isn't right you've a chance to fix it.

It seems to make almost no difference with lamb, maybe due to most of it being exported.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    farm quality assurance inspection forces you to keep on top of paperwork and if something isn't right you've a chance to fix it.
    Do that anyway, don't need them to 'force us' and they seem to need reams of their own imaginative additional stuff, otherwise what are they there for.
    I'll never do FA if it can possibly be avoided after coping with their enforced nonsense for years while milking.

The pinnacle of bureaucratic stupidity was refusing a pass until non-smoking signs were installed in parlour and dairy when no one had smoked in there sine the builders put it in about 1970.
    This was essential because if you smoked you might touch your lips then somehow contaminate the milk (they patiently explained - I lost the will to live at this point)

tesco and morrisons up north are now paying 20p a kg less for non scottish assured to the finishers as of about a month ago
    so in scotland anyway it is paying if you sell stores up north
    better for us that way, stops cheaper imports coming in waiting 90 days and getting FA