Thread: SPRAYING CHARGES

SPRAYING CHARGES

Just wondering what you people of the BFF are paying or charging for spraying crops on a per acre/hectare basis or if charged by the hour. Also what capacity of sprayer used, area covered per tankful, application rates, area per hour/day, nozzle selection, pressure used etc etc and any other relevant info.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Re: SPRAYING CHARGES

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Just wondering what you people of the BFF are paying or charging for spraying crops on a per acre/hectare basis or if charged by the hour. Also what capacity of sprayer used, area covered per tankful, application rates, area per hour/day, nozzle selection, pressure used etc etc and any other relevant info.

I would like to use contractors more for spraying but the costs are just too high. I pay 10 per hectare for a 24m self propelled putting on 110 to 200 litres..... Despite these guys spreading the costs of the machine over maybe 8000 hectares per year they are not competitive even for a 200 hectare outfit running their own machine.

4.50/acre here in pembrokeshire.Looked into doing it myself,but sprayer needed recon pump 450,+other bits&bobs 200,M.O.T 150(every year) certificate course(600).On my small acreage there's not alot in it,so I'm sticking with a contractor.

Its not the paying the contractor, it 's the timings, and getting them , as there is only so many spraying days, conditions etc. and with all the regs and people you got to notiefy etc. they ither let you down, or do not want the work off a small person, or your at the back of the que?-NO GOOD.
    Easier to get your PA1 and PA2 and do your own .

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Its not the paying the contractor, it 's the timings, and getting them , as there is only so many spraying days, conditions etc. and with all the regs and people you got to notiefy etc. they ither let you down, or do not want the work off a small person, or your at the back of the que?-NO GOOD.
    Easier to get your PA1 and PA2 and do your own .
    My agronomist always used to say if you only have one machine make it a sprayer, so I bought one to do mine and now do more for others which helps pay for it, but I treat their spraying as my own so it does get done on time, my advice would be if you only have a few acres get together with a few more and one of you do the spraying.

As for costs it can be a good payer if you can do 2/300 acres in a day but many times you do 20/30 and then have to spend an hour cleaning out between crops, high insurance and complying with all the rules and regs costs money

Spraying is anywhere between 2.50 & 5.00 quid an acre locally , depends on amount , water availability washing out and whether the customer is reliable to pay and repeat work . Know one chap was charging 1.50/ac for fert spreading which raised a few eyebrows but when I asked him his reply was he was never stopped , forklift always at end of field with 2ton fert and good fields +25ac each . Said at one point he was doing 80 ac /hr so could hardly charge 3-4 quid /ac . As he said it's all relative but there's always the fools who don't think !

The cost of spraying is largely irrelevant, what is important is the cost of the stuff going through it. If you are paying 6 quid an acre and the machine is big, modern, accurate and the guy is too notch and arrives on time it could well be a bargain. On the other hand if you pay 3 quid an acre and the guy doesn't turn up or is forever making misses and choosing how and when he does the job you are paying far too much.

Much of my area is sprayed by contractors, who I know and who are very very good and have modern kit. By contrast when a farmer does his own I often worry which nettles his machine will be dragged out of and what sort of nick it will be in.

Why would you expect a contractor in a big machine to be cheaper than a little farmer machine? He is trying to pay for the machine and make a profit on his time.

Farmers not always the most logical of folk sometimes?

I do despair how all of you forever want something for nothing. It can't won't and never has worked like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    The cost of spraying is largely irrelevant, what is important is the cost of the stuff going through it. If you are paying 6 quid an acre and the machine is big, modern, accurate and the guy is too notch and arrives on time it could well be a bargain. On the other hand if you pay 3 quid an acre and the guy doesn't turn up or is forever making misses and choosing how and when he does the job you are paying far too much.

Much of my area is sprayed by contractors, who I know and who are very very good and have modern kit. By contrast when a farmer does his own I often worry which nettles his machine will be dragged out of and what sort of nick it will be in.

Why would you expect a contractor in a big machine to be cheaper than a little farmer machine? He is trying to pay for the machine and make a profit on his time.

I do despair how all of you forever want something for nothing. It can't won't and never has worked like that.
    Completely agree, our contractor sprays for us on 24m tramlines when we were on 12 with our own machine and it would be a hard decision to go back to doing it ourselves. I don't enjoy the job myself anyway and they look after us very well timing wise, we've not missed a spray window in the last 5 years due to them not being available which says a lot. I know if we were still on 12m with our own machine that wouldn't be the case. I know we would have upgraded our own machine by now anyway (probably to 18 at most though) but to add auto section control, full GPS etc to match their service wouldn't have been cheap.

Add in the potential risks mentioned in the sprays and cabs thread and the larger mess we'd make with a mounted sprayer vs their self propelled and it gets even less attractive to me, thankfully we are not paying 6 an acre though...

Obviously there will also be plenty of farmers running their own decent sprayers too that can achieve the above but I don't think it's always as clear cut as that being the only and best option.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

The logic that a contractor covering vast areas of crop with the most efficient machine that money can buy should be cheaper is the same as me being able to jump on an Avro RJ85 to fly Edinburgh/London at less cost than it is to take my own Cessna.

Contractors are always keen to show you their latest aquisition...this one has a bigger tank, it does 50km/hr not only 40 and it has a fantastic new wash down system which saves 20 minutes on every wash out . Great I think this machine must be saving a huge amount in costs...but alas NO!..Spraying charges are going up because the silly bugger has paid daft money for the machine and then paid daft money to pay for the money .

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    The logic that a contractor covering vast areas of crop with the most efficient machine that money can buy should be cheaper is the same as me being able to jump on an Avro RJ85 to fly Edinburgh/London at less cost than it is to take my own Cessna.

Contractors are always keen to show you their latest aquisition...this one has a bigger tank, it does 50km/hr not only 40 and it has a fantastic new wash down system which saves 20 minutes on every wash out . Great I think this machine must be saving a huge amount in costs...but alas NO!..Spraying charges are going up because the silly bugger has paid daft money for the machine and then paid daft money to pay for the money .
    no, it's the same logic as its cheaper to be a passenger on a 300 person charter flight than it is to take your Cessna.
    They are doing your contracting to spread their cost over your acreage, therefore why should it be so expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by stu b View Post
    no, it's the same logic as its cheaper to be a passenger on a 300 person charter flight than it is to take your Cessna.
    They are doing your contracting to spread their cost over your acreage, therefore why should it be so expensive?
    Stu, this is what I meant! The Avro is a small jet used by "contractors" to run CityLink flights taking about 100 passengers...much cheaper to buy a ticket than scramble the Cessna!

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    Stu, this is what I meant! The Avro is a small jet used by "contractors" to run CityLink flights taking about 100 passengers...much cheaper to buy a ticket than scramble the Cessna!
    You are rather bitter!!

If the bloke wants to sell his time and skill and make a profit and buy another machine eventually then clearly he has to set a price to reflect this.

If your business is in a state where the cost of a spray contractor could be the final nail in the coffin then clearly doing your own spraying is the least of your worries.

Spraying is a serious business and it's cost is irrelevant compared to the average arable farms chemical spend.

If farmers could always do everything cheaper then contractors would not exist. But they do and in my limited experience they don't seem to be disappearing.

If cost is everything then arable farming might not really be your bag I'm afraid but as none of it is cheap.

You are rather bitter!!

If the bloke wants to sell his time and skill and make a profit and buy another machine eventually then clearly he has to set a price to reflect this.

If your business is in a state where the cost of a spray contractor could be the final nail in the coffin then clearly doing your own spraying is the least of your worries.

Spraying is a serious business and it's cost is irrelevant compared to the average arable farms chemical spend.

If farmers could always do everything cheaper then contractors would not exist. But they do and in my limited experience they don't seem to be disappearing.

If cost is everything then arable farming might not really be your bag I'm afraid but as none of it is cheap.
    No not bitter at all...I do use contractors for my arable operation and would use them more if they could run machinery as efficiently as I can myself. The theory goes that by spreading machinery over a larger area then the costs should be less than capitalising a machine for just my own use.
    No my business is not at the final nail in the coffin stage...where did you get that idea from?
    No the cost of spraying using a contractor is not irrelevant compared to the chemical spend. A 200Ha farm in this area cropping winter cereals will have achemical spend of perhaps 30,000 and 5 passes of a contractor will cost that farm 10,000....so add 30% to your chemical spend to get the stuff sprayed on.
    No contractors are disappearing in the conventional sense and they are being replaced with The Contract Farm Agreement type of arrangement. Job rates for individual services are just not competitive.
    No arable farming is my bag and I will continue to invest in any part of my business that will save me costs over using contractors.

Some people appear to have a very low opinion of contractors.
    We are not all fly by night cowboys.

I treat our customers work as though it were my own. In fact, if i'm honest, our customers work usually gets done before our own.

But to answer the op's original question. We charge 3.90-4.00/ac

Thanks so far to those who have given their input, alot of other enlightening information given too. For those who have answered part and not went off on a tangent is there any more that you can add to the original questions? Seem to have got some people's emotions going though. Good exchange of views. Thanks again.

Our sprayer is 4000l 24 meter

@100l/ha we can cover 100acres per tank. @ 200l/ha 50 acres per tank ......

Application rates depend on target and product used. generally 100, 150 and 200 l/ha. But we go upto 400l/ha on grassland.

We are averaging 18 acres per engine clock hour, so this includes filling and traveling time. We spray a lot of small fields, so this could be lower than average.

Nozzles are flat fan 025 for grass weeds and air induction 025, 04 ,05.

Pressures depend on the target that I am spraying, the wind and if there is a LERAP. Can be anywhere between 2 BAR and 5 BAR

Bumble Bee

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Bee View Post
    Our sprayer is 4000l 24 meter

@100l/ha we can cover 100acres per tank. @ 200l/ha 50 acres per tank ......

Application rates depend on target and product used. generally 100, 150 and 200 l/ha. But we go upto 400l/ha on grassland.

We are averaging 18 acres per engine clock hour, so this includes filling and traveling time. We spray a lot of small fields, so this could be lower than average.

Nozzles are flat fan 025 for grass weeds and air induction 025, 04 ,05.

Pressures depend on the target that I am spraying, the wind and if there is a LERAP. Can be anywhere between 2 BAR and 5 BAR

Bumble Bee
    Thanks Bumble Bee, knew you were up to the job.😃😃

Some people appear to have a very low opinion of contractors.
    We are not all fly by night cowboys.

I treat our customers work as though it were my own. In fact, if i'm honest, our customers work usually gets done before our own.

But to answer the op's original question. We charge 3.90-4.00/ac
    Here, here. I often put others before my own work.

Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    Here, here. I often put others before my own work.
    And this is why we stopped contracting 15 yrs ago..
    Everyone else's corn cut dry or sprayed at right time.
    our own cut wet etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by nick channer View Post
    And this is why we stopped contracting 15 yrs ago..
    Everyone else's corn cut dry or sprayed at right time.
    our own cut wet etc etc
    Hopefully this will not be a problem this year as we have invested in another sprayer.

Do other contractors find that the customers who complain about timeliness and quality of service, tend to be the ones that only ring you a few hours before they actually want you. They appear to be unable to plan anything more than a few hours in advance and think that they are your only customer.

I have one customer who despite my best efforts to educate him, will ring me around 10:30am on the best spraying day of the week and demand that I be in his yard between 2:00 - 2:30pm as that is the optimum time to spray his 60 acres. He will have had the recommendation sheet for over a week, but not had the foresight to ring me and forewarn me that the work is to do.

Communication is the key to a successful customer contractor relationship.

Hopefully this will not be a problem this year as we have invested in another sprayer.

Do other contractors find that the customers who complain about timeliness and quality of service, tend to be the ones that only ring you a few hours before they actually want you. They appear to be unable to plan anything more than a few hours in advance and think that they are your only customer.

I have one customer who despite my best efforts to educate him, will ring me around 10:30am on the best spraying day of the week and demand that I be in his yard between 2:00 - 2:30pm as that is the optimum time to spray his 60 acres. He will have had the recommendation sheet for over a week, but not had the foresight to ring me and forewarn me that the work is to do.

This happens in so many different aspects of farming, the people who complain most don't have the foresight to even think that there's anyone else out there except them......... I need you here yesterday or I'm coming now to collect whatever and you maybe 20 miles away with 3 days work on before you get near them. If I let it, it would annoy my happiness. 😁😁

I get their agronomists to email the recs so I usually know whats on before the farmer does

We run a 24m 4000lt trailed chafer sprayer behind a MF 7480. It's equipped with a steering axle, rate governor, auto shut off, GPS guidance, appropriate wheels, nozzles, paperwork, and experienced operator (me!)

The majority of the work it does is 150-200lts/ha, but as low as 100 and as high as 400 isn't unusual. Contracting is probably a sniff over 20% of its workload. Acres/tank depends more on the acres requiring the same mix, and proximity of each field, than tank size, but 50ac @ 200lt, 75@150 etc. nozzles include 05 angled defy for pre em and spuds, 04 bubble jets for fungicides in cereals mostly, 03 Amistar nozzles for lower water rates requiring good coverage in sensitive areas.

Output similar to bumblebee, av field size 12ac, 10mile radius, odd water tank remotely, but no bowser support.

Rates 3.50-4, depending on crop spread, distance, acres t do, ease of doing it, regular customer etc. Customers take priority most of the time, bar blight spraying. (Ie my taties get Blight spray before customers growth reg etc)

Agronomists mostly email me sheets which helps no end

i enjoy the job, and the satisfaction of a job well done, but it's not for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by robs1 View Post
    I get their agronomists to email the recs so I usually know whats on before the farmer does
    Most of the agronomists do. But this particular one does not. Besides, this customer usually crosses out half of the recommendation anyway, as he does not want to spend his money. He then complains that his wheat has been smothered out with grass weeds

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    We run a 24m 4000lt trailed chafer sprayer behind a MF 7480. It's equipped with a steering axle, rate governor, auto shut off, GPS guidance, appropriate wheels, nozzles, paperwork, and experienced operator (me!)

The majority of the work it does is 150-200lts/ha, but as low as 100 and as high as 400 isn't unusual. Contracting is probably a sniff over 20% of its workload. Acres/tank depends more on the acres requiring the same mix, and proximity of each field, than tank size, but 50ac @ 200lt, 75@150 etc. nozzles include 05 angled defy for pre em and spuds, 04 bubble jets for fungicides in cereals mostly, 03 Amistar nozzles for lower water rates requiring good coverage in sensitive areas.

Output similar to bumblebee, av field size 12ac, 10mile radius, odd water tank remotely, but no bowser support.

Rates 3.50-4, depending on crop spread, distance, acres t do, ease of doing it, regular customer etc. Customers take priority most of the time, bar blight spraying. (Ie my taties get Blight spray before customers growth reg etc)

Agronomists mostly email me sheets which helps no end

i enjoy the job, and the satisfaction of a job well done, but it's not for everybody.
    I get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing good results and enjoy close links with the contractors doing the work. It does somewhat irk me though when farmers change spray contractors because so and so was 50p an acre cheaper or something ridiculous.

Ultimately of all the jobs that contractors do, I would say spraying is by far the best value. The skill and experience of the man in the seat (some spray contractors are themselves BASIS qualified) is priceless.

I charge between 6 to 8 per acre, All my work is for grassland farmers, most of my jobs are between 3 and 4ha's ( 7.5 to 10 acres ) thats 1 or 1.1/3 tank fulls of a 650 liter sprayer. Maximun i can spray in a day if im lucky is 60 acres. Can be traveling up to 15 miles between jobs that have been planed so as to waste the least amount of time traveling.
    Still thinking i should be chargin more.
    Passed PA 1 PA 2 in 1989.
    It's all horses for courses boys.

Ritchie
    Dydd da pawb.Good day everyone.