Thread: Which heat detection??

Which heat detection??

As I am probably not the only one on here looking at various heat detection systems whilst the latest grant is out I though it would be good to hear peoples thoughts on the different systems available? Who already has it? What brand, heat time, fabdec, genus, silent herdsman etc?

I currently like the look of silent herdsman from NMR and the heat phone from synergy farm health which also has calving detection systems available as an add on.

any reports would be appreciated!!

Re: Which heat detection??

there's one that manages to monitor rumen function as well, which has recently been put in on a large localish unit and seems to work...

https://www.cowmanager.com/CMS/structure_page.aspx?UsCode=ONS%20BEDRIJF&UsList=ON S%20BEDRIJF|QUOTE=Wilts`;221027]there's one that manages to monitor rumen function as well, which has recently been put in on a large localish unit and seems to work...[/QUOTE]
    We have installed 2 of these systems working very well

Quote Originally Posted by Wilts` View Post
    there's one that manages to monitor rumen function as well, which has recently been put in on a large localish unit and seems to work...
    Is that the Heat time with rumination? I have the ordinary heat time, got it under the modernisation grant which ran here last year, I love it! A neighbour has the NMR system and seems to get on well with it. I'd say Heat time is the most popular/common around here.

I have the Alta CowAlert heat system....... its not on your list and I'd leave it that way. When I get rid of the Alta system at the end of its lease, it'll probably be replaced with the NMR system unless anything else seems better when I come to change.

I have had the Vel phone (Medria) calving monitor system installed now for approx 3 months.
    I love it, a fantastic piece of kit. The same base unit also does the Heat Phone heat detection system and i am told it is also extremely good. i am in the process of getting some collars ordered now to try it.
    Give me a call on 07816775501 and i can set up a meeting with the guy that sells it or you can come see the calving unit i have installed.

http://www.medria.fr/en_GB/produits/heatphone.html
    http://www.medria.fr/en_GB/produits/vel-phone.html

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Services View Post
    As I am probably not the only one on here looking at various heat detection systems whilst the latest grant is out I though it would be good to hear peoples thoughts on the different systems available? Who already has it? What brand, heat time, fabdec, genus, silent herdsman etc?

I currently like the look of silent herdsman from NMR and the heat phone from synergy farm health which also has calving detection systems available as an add on.

Take a look at this system, we can also add a rumination add on

http://www.trackacow.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Services View Post

I would be thinking: How long is the system going to last? - in five years time you will certainly be replacing the whole system when collar batteries finished - its easy to forget about that bit today and the sales reps conveniently over estimate the life span if you do ask?

We got 6 years out of heatime and have replaced well over half the collars due to batteries running out during that 6 years too!. + that's on a block calving herd with the reader turned off for most of the year. The real problem was missing heats when collars decided to fail - suddenly you are watching cows because you cant rely on whats working and what isnt

so 8k for a system for 100 cows which lasts 5 years + 1k for replacement collars during that time.

1700 a year would be better spent on labour watching cows?
    Well that's out conclusion - bought a large box of tail paint and paid somebody (myself) to watch cows every night.

How much should you value a missed heat? - finish the sums off for me.....

You want a robot on a master contract which includes replacement collars.......suddenly your 6k a year service cost is not so bad after all!

buy a bull,on the job 24/7.

We've had silent herdsman operating 16 months now, pleased with it. Only issue has been some collars failing, under guarantee at present so replaced free, they do get knocked about a bit we have diagonal feed barriers for the cows.

i'm looking at installing a system too,have narrowed it down to either genus breeder tag or cogent pinpoint (dairymaster moo moniters). I dont like the idea of spending 10,000 now and then having to pay for it all again in 5 or 6 yrs time when the batteries run out,so am probably going to go for the cogent system which have replaceable batteries. They last about 18-24 months and its 9 for replacement batteries and new rubber seal. Anybody using the cogent/dairymaster system?

Thanks for all advice, have spoke to a few company's now and quite like the look of the heat phone from medria with silant herdsman a close second. The cogent system will be worth looking at though as collars are expected to last 5 years and cost 85 each!!

I have been using the dairymaster moo monitors for a few years now,they work very well for us.Its probably one of the best things we have bought for adding profit to our cows.
    Battery life is about 14 months for us but we use them all the time,as soon as a cow calves she gets a collar and when she is in calf we take it off and put it on another cow,batterys vary in price but the last ones i bought were 2.70 each and each collar takes 2.some of our collars are getting a bit worn now with cows rubbing them on cubicles and feed fences and this makes batterys difficult to change but i think dairymaster have changed the design now to stop this.

I read some collar makers are claiming up to 10 years battery life which i find hard to belive as batterys discharge over time without even using them.

We have Silent Herdsman here and I wouldn't have it again. Collars fail all the time, some cows have activity but the system doesn't alert you quick enough. We have it on maiden heifer and we get a lot of false heats. Had Heat time at previous farm and thought it was the better system.

So what have we learned? Buy heat time? Or cogent for the cheaper battery replacement option?

We use genus RMS and it's the best thing ever. Remember once they have been spotted and shed they still have to be served.

Quote Originally Posted by Headless chicken View Post
    We use genus RMS and it's the best thing ever. Remember once they have been spotted and shed they still have to be served.

the serving's not the hard bit! it's spotting and timing that're quite important too! example from yesterday: herdman saw a scratch card had gone off a bit but no other signs so checks for a bulling string, I then AI with a sexed straw, then the day after she's really hard on bulling so serve her again, at a cost of 20