Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 58 of 58

Thread: Bloody Beacons

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    215

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Yes on a dual carriageway they do a good job as cars are approaching fast and not expecting a slow vehicle as 30mph is slow in comparison , plus they are not annoying because to don't have to judge the distance between them and the hedge when coming head on to them and you don't get stuck behind them for miles trying to see if the road ahead is straight enough or clear enough to overtake while your eyes are trying to adjust from full light to no light every other second . A tractor and trailer doing 30 mph on a normal country road is barely going slower than a lorry and is no need to have three beacons blaring away especially the trailer one at eye level . Beacons have a very serious and useful job no doubt about it but are being made impotent by people using them purely as a fashion statement . Somebody could well run into the back of a hedgebrusher purely because they ignored the beacon as they presumed it would be doing 50k when they got there like the other 99 times out of a hundred

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    925

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    I still think everything that gives idiot drivers less chance to say "I didn't see him" or "I didn't realise it was a tractor" is worth using.
    +1

    We use them every time we go on the road (only one per tractor, mind). If other drivers want to ignore them then that's their problem. It's not my place to do their thinking for them. If someone runs into you then top of the list of excuses will be "you didn't have your beacon on", whether it's a legal requirement or not.

    I would regard them as a 'must' on narrow country roads. The glimpse of an amber light in the distance is often the only warning you get that something big is coming your way. I know someone (a farmer himself) who was lucky to escape unscathed when he met a tractor, with a 3m front press, on a blind corner. His car was written off, though. If the beacon had been on it would have been visible through the trees and he would have known it was coming.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Northants
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by MR NODDY View Post
    Not so bothered about the orange flashing twat brigade, obviously two beacons simply identifies you as twice the twat.
    Having work lights on while on the road REALLY does piss me of. Extremely dangerous and also highly illegal. A while back
    the local NFU office did send round a note to this effect. If young lads want to draw pc plods attention they're going the right way about it.
    Very true, I wish the police would pull a few over to be honest and make an example of them as perhaps then it would make more of an impression at the colleges etc. Having said that there are enough older than college idiots setting the same bad example with work-lights too so the chances of it working are perhaps slim
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

  4. #34
    Senior Member Bumble Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    182

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post
    My company vehicle has twin beacons, I use them sparingly and make sure all the lights work on what ever I'm pulling. Rules is rules and all that. The new 7600 has automatic beacons which the operator doesn't like and quite right too. I've never been bothered by the flashing lights as a road user and being in the industry when I see miss=used beacons, CB aerials, the steering wheel attendants name on a number plate and rigger boots it is normally time to drive defensively. These armatures give the industry a bad name.
    Whats wrong with rigger boots? I prefer them to wellies.

  5. #35

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    Why is it that over the last few years everybody has decided that you have to have two of the blinding things because one inches away just isn't enough and that they must be on at all times especially at night when towing a normal trailer or nothing at all . I followed a 50 k tractor home the other night ,so hardly slow, mandatory twin beacons on the roof and now this isn't chav enough they have to have a bloody LED one on the trailer , fair enough wide loads or if you've had to park up on a nasty stretch of road, escorting wide vechicles, hedgebrushing, dual carraigeways etc,but they just have them on all the time so everybody just ignores them making them useless when really wanting to warn motorists of wide loads, but it's worse than useless ,at night when they seem to delight in switching them on to feel self important they just blind you making it very difficult to see how straight the road ahead is and whether it's safe to overtake especially that LED one which was just like having a torch shone in your eyes every other half second and if travelling in the opposite direction to them at night it makes it very difficult so actually see if they do on that very rare occasion have something wide on the back . To be honest I'm far more likely to be aware of a wide load coming on a tractor if it has it's hazards on as they don't seem to use the hazard lights for a dick waving competition only if there is a genuine hazard , unfortunately this means no turn signals but thanks to the beacon brigade this is now the only option left and as such I think either beacons should be banned or instant 1 month ban for improper use as I'm sure they cause far more accidents than they ever save . Apologies to everybody who uses them sensibly but you seem to be getting in the minority !
    Fair comment BUT have you ever been rear ended by an HGV? Happened to me a few years ago on dual carriageway, can't have enough lights on now!

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    377

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by slugpelleter1 View Post
    Fair comment BUT have you ever been rear ended by an HGV?
    Bring tears to a glass eye that would

    Joking aside I remember hearing about a tractor driver who had been hit by an HGV. It took the emergency services ages to find him as he had been thrown out of the back of the tractor, along the trailer it had been towing and he ended up between the trailer and the lorry which had hit it.

    It may be annoying for us to run with beacons on, but it may be lethal to run without them.

    Hope all was well after the accident Slugpelleter, it won't be a thing you will ever want to repeat.

  7. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Howe O the mearns
    Posts
    12

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by slugpelleter1 View Post
    Fair comment BUT have you ever been rear ended by an HGV? Happened to me a few years ago on dual carriageway, can't have enough lights on now!
    Been rear ended by a transit van, then a few years later by a car, both on dual carriageways, so I believe in plenty of beacons and reflectors,

    that said up here in aberdeenshire it seems no matter what you do the cars still won't see you

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Easter Ross
    Posts
    243

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Now a days people seem to just look at the bit road in front of there bonnet. When you shift the combine you can have all the lights on and they still come charging towards you! You can go in front with the cutter bar and drive in the middle of the road with all your lights on and half Of them meet you and don't look near ya and squeeze past you and of course then meet the combine in the narrowest bit road. I've seen ma self see a tractor coming in the dark with beacons on and think he must have the sower on so pull in and stop and wait till he passes and of course it's just a tractor with nothing on! I can see the point of having the beacons on when on dual carriage ways and main roads but not on country roads unless you have something wide on

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Bee View Post
    Whats wrong with rigger boots? I prefer them to wellies.
    They are dreadful things to wear and often indicate the wearee is a bit of a tool.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Raggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    M1 / M6 Junction
    Posts
    221

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    To be honest I'm far more likely to be aware of a wide load coming on a tractor if it has it's hazards on as they don't seem to use the hazard lights for a dick waving competition only if there is a genuine hazard , unfortunately this means no turn signals but thanks to the beacon brigade this is now the only option left and as such I think either beacons should be banned or instant 1 month ban for improper use as I'm sure they cause far more accidents than they ever save . Apologies to everybody who uses them sensibly but you seem to be getting in the minority !

    Interesting that with 38 replies nobody has mentioned that using hazard lights on a moving vehicle is actually against the law. Although we are probably all guilty of doing such a thing. Myself just a month ago when my truck broke down and had to be towed.

    116

    Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
    Law RVLR reg 27
    Looking out for the next holiday.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    667

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Interest1300 that with 38 replies nobody has mentioned that using hazard lights on a moving vehicle is actually against the law. Although we are probably all guilty of doing such a thing. Myself just a month ago when my truck broke down and had to be towed.

    116

    Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
    Law RVLR reg 27
    Think I drove about 12 miles on monday with the hazards on . Tractor through a wobbler 1.1/2 into a 2 hour journey to a job .it went into limp Mode and wouldn't rev above 1300 rpm . Nearly got 30k down hill . Down to about 6 on the hills and struggled on the flat as well . It was a long journey

  12. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Face the facts, for some reason when certain minded individuals get into any kind of large agricultural vehicle, their IQ drops about 50 points and they undergo metamorphosis into some kind of monkey. It might have something to do with the fact that so many believe they are gods gift to mankind because they have apparently mastered the extremely difficult art which is pushing a few pedals after climbing 5 steps. Thank heavens they are stuck to driving at 25mph because I dread to think of the consequences of what might happen if they were asked to travel at a higher velocity.

    Friend of mine is a professional full time HGV driver who is forever taking great delight at reminding me of how many tools in ag vehicles he spots on his travels. You need only look at youtube to see the results of truck crashes to realise why truck drivers are so highly trained and regulated in this country. Compare that to the average tractor you see on the roads- typically there is something obviously defective with the outfit, the driver is insistent on using one speed only (flat out) or they believe the road belongs to them, sometimes all three. They do themselves and the industry no favours. Maybe they are just unhappy with life.

  13. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post

    Friend of mine is a professional full time HGV driver who is forever taking great delight at reminding me of how many tools in ag vehicles he spots on his travels. You need only look at youtube to see the results of truck crashes to realise why truck drivers are so highly trained and regulated in this country. Compare that to the average tractor you see on the roads- typically there is something obviously defective with the outfit, the driver is insistent on using one speed only (flat out) or they believe the road belongs to them, sometimes all three. They do themselves and the industry no favours. Maybe they are just unhappy with life.
    If you've ever done a CPC course you'll get a better idea of lorry drivers. I came home feeling much better about myself...
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  14. #44
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    667

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    And "the legend" does what when he's not ripping up roads on a silage cart ??

  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    240

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Face the facts, for some reason when certain minded individuals get into any kind of large agricultural vehicle, their IQ drops about 50 points and they undergo metamorphosis into some kind of monkey. It might have something to do with the fact that so many believe they are gods gift to mankind because they have apparently mastered the extremely difficult art which is pushing a few pedals after climbing 5 steps. Thank heavens they are stuck to driving at 25mph because I dread to think of the consequences of what might happen if they were asked to travel at a higher velocity.

    Friend of mine is a professional full time HGV driver who is forever taking great delight at reminding me of how many tools in ag vehicles he spots on his travels. You need only look at youtube to see the results of truck crashes to realise why truck drivers are so highly trained and regulated in this country. Compare that to the average tractor you see on the roads- typically there is something obviously defective with the outfit, the driver is insistent on using one speed only (flat out) or they believe the road belongs to them, sometimes all three. They do themselves and the industry no favours. Maybe they are just unhappy with life.
    I've been forced off the A17 by these so called professional truck drivers inc a coach full of Norwich city supporters

  16. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    925

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post

    Friend of mine is a professional full time HGV driver who is forever taking great delight at reminding me of how many tools in ag vehicles he spots on his travels.
    Lorry drivers are not exempt from also being tools, trust me on this

  17. #47
    Senior Member WoodenHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    374

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    I've got Colonel Bogey airhorns on our MF + twin beacons + a compartment for an emergency contraceptive







    I haven't really, just a single beacon used always on a carriageway, rarely if ever in a field.
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

  18. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hants/Dorset border
    Posts
    69

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    I've got Colonel Bogey airhorns on our MF + twin beacons + a compartment for an emergency contraceptive
    .
    Try driving a David Brown 1390, then there's no need for contraceptives!

  19. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Welshpool Powys
    Posts
    111

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    I got pulled over on a dual carriageway doing 46mph in the fastrac by a traffic cop and he bollocked me for not having the beacons on, when I asked him were they needed at 46mph He replied "if you want to admit to doing 46mph I'll let you off for not having your beacons on but as the speed limit for a tractor is 20mph PUT THEM ON"
    So all of you who say that at 50kph you don't legally need them, at 50kph your running illegal anyway!!
    99% of new trailers come with flashing light for dual carriageway use which you cant switch off at night!
    After hearing of someone hitting the back of a muck spreader a few years ago and not surviving it, I'd personally rather see beacons and side lights on rather than off!

  20. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    377

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by MF3655 View Post
    I got pulled over on a dual carriageway doing 46mph in the fastrac by a traffic cop and he bollocked me for not having the beacons on, when I asked him were they needed at 46mph He replied "if you want to admit to doing 46mph I'll let you off for not having your beacons on but as the speed limit for a tractor is 20mph PUT THEM ON"
    So all of you who say that at 50kph you don't legally need them, at 50kph your running illegal anyway!!
    99% of new trailers come with flashing light for dual carriageway use which you cant switch off at night!
    After hearing of someone hitting the back of a muck spreader a few years ago and not surviving it, I'd personally rather see beacons and side lights on rather than off!
    Speed limit for a tractor is 40mph subject to certain construction and use regulations, better brakes, full suspension, etc. and most Fastracs comply with the additional regs required. Saying that I still try to avoid arguing with police, they have long memories and sharp pencils

  21. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Welshpool Powys
    Posts
    111

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Speed limit for a tractor is 40mph subject to certain construction and use regulations, better brakes, full suspension, etc. and most Fastracs comply with the additional regs required. Saying that I still try to avoid arguing with police, they have long memories and sharp pencils
    Yeah all fastracs with linked steering and unimog are the only ones that can legally travel over 20mph that I know of so neither should need a beacon switched on unless traveling with a wide or long load! All other tractors technically should have beacons on at all times!

  22. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    377

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by MF3655 View Post
    Yeah all fastracs with linked steering and unimog are the only ones that can legally travel over 20mph that I know of so neither should need a beacon switched on unless traveling with a wide or long load! All other tractors technically should have beacons on at all times!
    + Ontop and Trantor, for those with long memories

  23. #53
    Junior Member MR NODDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    west dorset
    Posts
    16

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by MF3655 View Post
    Yeah all fastracs with linked steering and unimog are the only ones that can legally travel over 20mph that I know of so neither should need a beacon switched on unless traveling with a wide or long load! All other tractors technically should have beacons on at all times!
    I don't think the wording in the legislation refers to width or length of load when dealing with beacons on tractors. It was brought in specifically to deal with the speed differential between tractors and cars, I think it says something like beacons are required on certain vehicles on certain roads where the difference in the maximum legal speed limit of a vehicle and the maximum speed limit on that road exceeds a specific figure, a beacon is required. Hence why there is always the reference to dual carriageways as these present the maximum possible difference in speed, 20 as opposed to 70. What the technical and legal position is regarding dual carriageways with ,say a 50 mph limit is, I don't know. Legal requirements aside it obviously makes sense to use a beacon to draw attention to a potential hazard to other road users. What is interesting reading all the comments on this topic is that nobody seems to actually know what the specific detail of the law says, considering it affects most of us on a near daily basis is this wise. The police themselves are probably just as uninformed having been asked by them in the past to produce my MOT certificate when stopped in a tractor!

  24. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    377

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by MR NODDY View Post
    I don't think the wording in the legislation refers to width or length of load when dealing with beacons on tractors. It was brought in specifically to deal with the speed differential between tractors and cars, I think it says something like beacons are required on certain vehicles on certain roads where the difference in the maximum legal speed limit of a vehicle and the maximum speed limit on that road exceeds a specific figure, a beacon is required. Hence why there is always the reference to dual carriageways as these present the maximum possible difference in speed, 20 as opposed to 70. What the technical and legal position is regarding dual carriageways with ,say a 50 mph limit is, I don't know. Legal requirements aside it obviously makes sense to use a beacon to draw attention to a potential hazard to other road users. What is interesting reading all the comments on this topic is that nobody seems to actually know what the specific detail of the law says, considering it affects most of us on a near daily basis is this wise. The police themselves are probably just as uninformed having been asked by them in the past to produce my MOT certificate when stopped in a tractor!
    As from 1st Jan 98 all motor vehicles with 4 or more wheels having a maximum speed not exceeding 25mph (most tractors) must be fitted with and use an amber warning beacon when driven on a dual carriageway with a speed limit over 50mph. Beacon(s) shall be fitted so the centre of the lamp is at a height of not less than 1200mm above the ground. The light from at least one beacon shall be visible from any point at a reasonable distance from the vehicle through 360 degrees. The light shown by any one beacon shall show not less than 60 nor more than 240 equal times per minute at a constant speed.

  25. #55
    Junior Member MR NODDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    west dorset
    Posts
    16

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Well I had the jist of it, just not the detail! Cheers Shrek.

  26. #56

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Oh Don't get me started on beacons in the field and a night... All of our pasture is out behind and to the side of us so it's Arable out the front, which we have nothing to do with. F-ing contractors, this year, cultivating at night in the two fields in front of our house. OK, it's fair enough to have all you're work lights on, no problem with that, it's the need to have both beacons on while rumbling up and down outside my window!! To make it worse he's in this massive goddam tracked Catapillar with a tiddly little cultivator AND he's doing so many hundred acres and yet he has to finish out side our house at 1:30am with all these bloody flashing orange lights...

    Either way the tractors with thier beacons isn't any near as bad as the tipper lorries with their million and a half LED beacons that they don't need. I saw a lorry last week, stationary in a fuel station with 8 beacons on it... WTF!?

  27. #57
    Senior Member Fifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fife
    Posts
    100

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Bring tears to a glass eye that would

    Joking aside I remember hearing about a tractor driver who had been hit by an HGV. It took the emergency services ages to find him as he had been thrown out of the back of the tractor, along the trailer it had been towing and he ended up between the trailer and the lorry which had hit it.

    It may be annoying for us to run with beacons on, but it may be lethal to run without them.

    Hope all was well after the accident Slugpelleter, it won't be a thing you will ever want to repeat.
    A good advert for wearing your seatbelt!

  28. #58
    Senior Member Fifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fife
    Posts
    100

    Re: Bloody Beacons

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Must admit I nearly always use a beacon when I'm on the road, gives less of an excuse for the idiot car drivers to say they din't see me. I use a xenon set which are not as blinding. Always try to remember to switch them off when in the field though, especially at night, nothing worse for the driver on the forager or combine than to be blinded by beacons.

    My biggest pet hate is idiots running with all the ploughing lamps on, especially rear ones. They seem to think because they can see they can be seen, when in fact all they are doing is blinding other road users
    I thought the law stated that if you cannot be bothered putting lights on wide implements you had to put all your work lamps on!
    Last edited by Fifer; 03-03-14 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •