Thread: Jet wash footbath

Jet wash footbath

Anyone on here using a jet wash footbath like the one from cowcare , I'm going to fit an auto bath if I get a grant and can't decide if to apply for a normal auto fill and flush one which is low maintenance but more prone to fouling or the jet wash one which John from cowcare says does a better job but requires regular cleaning of the screen and underneath the screen ,the benifit being it constantly cleans out the manure and tops up with chemical so the last cow through gets as good a treatment as the first unlike the standard auto fill/flush baths ,and with robots they always tend to foul footbaths ,I think due to cows not being pushed through by the cow behind so just loiter in it and foul it . Due to it cleaning itself as it goes I guess I could use a lower concentration of chemical too which will help offset the higher purchase cost but am just worried about the extra maintenance required, so any experience of this would be greatly appreciated .

Re: Jet wash footbath

We have a jet wash foot bath and after seeing a auto fill flush one wish we had got one of those. Any 'extra maintenance' is just another job you haven't got time to do, IMHO
    Thanks

I only have a concrete foot bath so can only comment on face value, but if the rep is telling you before you buy it needs regular cleaning then I would take that as code for "its a pain in the arse to keep running unless your anal about cleaning the filter very frequently".

Got a friend with robots and they have a program for the robots to just shed the cows once only in the selected 24hr period to go through a standard foot bath trough, they say it works ok for their 2 robots.

In my experience shiteing in the footbath has went down with robots, as they tend to shite in the robot before they go through the footbath!

I am going to try this
    http://www.vink-elst.nl/hoofcare_spray_mat.html
    Chippy says they are about 1400, i think they wouldn't affect visits to the robot like a jet wash one would. Plus they wouldn't get contaminated with dung, and it makes it affordable to have one for each robot.
    I have emailed FFIS to make sure they qualify, hopefully hear back this week.

I had a jet wash footbath, sent it back had it for 2 months didn't work right and when it did made little difference to my DD problem

Quote Originally Posted by awj26 View Post
    I am going to try this
    Chippy says they are about 1400, i think they wouldn't affect visits to the robot like a jet wash one would. Plus they wouldn't get contaminated with dung, and it makes it affordable to have one for each robot.
    These do look good.... 1400 seems steep for not a very big area of matting looking at the pdf, but does look like you get the dosing kit etc with it... I guess one concern maybe frost damage to the link pipes between the matt segments as you don't appear to be able to ever drain the thing out but they look covered enough I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    These do look good.... 1400 seems steep for not a very big area of matting looking at the pdf, but does look like you get the dosing kit etc with it... I guess one concern maybe frost damage to the link pipes between the matt segments as you don't appear to be able to ever drain the thing out but they look covered enough I guess
    I showed the video of that to my vet but he didn't seem impressed , He reckons the key is keeping the feet clean by constant bathing ,never allowing the muck time to dry on the hoof and thus not giving anywhere for the bacteria to grow . He said the chemical is just keep the water sanitized. He didn't think that mat would keep the feet clean . I did however try and get some info and a quote and found it almost impossible . Dairy Spares who is our local agent had never heard of it , Vink sent me to agri health but they wouldn't sell to direct to farm so i gave up

Get a Cowcare systems walkway bath, 2800 plus vat and available in ffis grant scheme currently

Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    Get a Cowcare systems walkway bath, 2800 plus vat and available in ffis grant scheme currently
    That's what I'll most likely do

I've ordered mine

Don't know if cowcare realise, but they have a virus on their website, chrome is saying malware detected.

DD is controlled by mixture of formalin and copper...the cowcare jetwash footbath we have can only use 1 chemical at a time, the cows are sprayed with iodine after milking, then, as they walk through the footbath the iodine is washed off and replaced with a nice coating of slurry...In my opinion after using one of these for 12 months is they are the worst case senario for mastitis and cell counts....The farmer having bought it, thinks the sun shines out of it..but then in his narcissistic brain, if he bought it then it must be good....how can 1 bag of copper sulphate bathing 500 cows 3 times a day last 6 days? We still have to use a 200 litre plastic footbath once a week with 2 bags of copper and 40 litres of formalin to control DD, the jetwash does nothing...Just my opinion, regards Lee

P.S. the nozzles are always blocking up, we have had 2 new motors in 12 months and 2 new pumps, it needs washing out 3/4 times a week ..need I carry on?

Don't know if cowcare realise, but they have a virus on their website, chrome is saying malware detected.
    Yes, we have been struggling with our website since we changed it last October. Every time we clean the site it becomes re-infected within days. As you will see today we have taken it off line.
    We have built an identical site from scratch and are changing hosting company later today, finger crossed we will be back on line tonight. Mean while try our facebook

I am going to try this
    What happens when a cow or two craps all over the mat what cleans it ? it looks great in the video but would love to see it after 100 cows have gone over it cant see it works myself .

Cowcare systems walkway footbath was delivered this morning, fitting isn't going to be as straight forward as they led me to believe, there is a lack of any fittings provided and very minimal instructions

Cowcare systems walkway footbath was delivered this morning, fitting isn't going to be as straight forward as they led me to believe, there is a lack of any fittings provided and very minimal instructions
    Andy. Please bear in mind we manufacture standard equipment that is then fitted in non standard applications, hence it would be impossible to supply all fixtures and fittings.
    We supply a 10 page manual which I believe to be adequate to enable the bath to be installed, although I will take your point and revisit the wording to see if it can be improved. If you have any specific points that you feel needs to be addressed please lift the phone to me and I will ensure they are covered.
    I would also like to note that I called you & spoke with you personally on the phone prior to your posting and advised you to call me if you had any queries or required assistance in any way.
    Remember also we can provide a full installation service if required. We are here to help.

Thanks
    John

I understand it would be difficult to provide the correct fitting for every application but I would of thought that in most situations the solenoid will need to be attached to the big green pipe provided so that fitting at least could be sent with the bath. Fitting was never really offered although your rep did say he could send someone to do it but they were a long way from me

I understand it would be difficult to provide the correct fitting for every application but I would of thought that in most situations the solenoid will need to be attached to the big green pipe provided so that fitting at least could be sent with the bath. Fitting was never really offered although your rep did say he could send someone to do it but they were a long way from me
    Normally the solenoid is positioned close to the control panel which is usually some distance from the bath, the idea of the green hose is to allow a flexible final connection especially useful in confined spaces. If you intend connecting directly onto the green pipe the all you will require is a 30mm hosetail with an 1&1/2" bsp tread.
    My apologies if you feel this fitting should have been supplied.

I have always found Cowcare Systems brilliant to deal with, any problems have always been dealt with in a speedy and efficent maner.

Thanks cowcrazy

Quote Originally Posted by Cowcrazy View Post
    I have always found Cowcare Systems brilliant to deal with, any problems have always been dealt with in a speedy and efficent maner.
    +1

Indeed I first came across them when John came out and put right a competitors machine after reading on here that I was having issues . For this there was no charge , and so used them when updating this said equipment a few years later , and any time I have needed advice they answer the call and usually out of office hours where as most reps these days struggle to answer calls during office hours post sale !

Quote Originally Posted by Cowcrazy View Post
    +1

Indeed I first came across them when John came out and put right a competitors machine after reading on here that I was having issues . For this there was no charge , and so used them when updating this said equipment a few years later , and any time I have needed advice they answer the call and usually out of office hours where as most rps these days struggle to answer calls during office hours post sale !