Thread: Anyone want to buy 15 farms?

Anyone want to buy 15 farms?

Re: Anyone want to buy 15 farms?

I just checked down the back of the sofa, and no sorry.

My first job was with CWS Farms milking coos near Troon. Will this be a venture capitalist buy the whole business or maybe a management buy out...or will it be completely pulled apart....wonder how the contract farming operation will be dealt with, guess there will be overlap between owned and contract land on some of the sites.

A rough guess the whole lot is worth about £425,000,000, so it wont be a management buyout. Venture capitalists would struggle to raise that much with such a low rate of return, so at a guess it'll go in individual lots.

Co-op farming

• Been farming since 1896
    • Owns 17,200 hectares
    • 200 employees
    • 70% of it is cereals
    • Only 2% goes directly to shops

From Farm to Fork

From cereals to potatoes, cider apples to peas we farm Over 50,000 acres of land across the UK, growing food for our stores and providing our customers with the best of British. And we believe in educating children where their food comes from too. Thatís why we introduced our From Farm to Fork outdoor learning experience for primary schoolchildren. Over 75,000 children have now experienced the world beyond the classroom through one of our supervised farm visits. For some children, it will be the first time they have experienced all the countryside has to offer. We hope they gain an understanding of the importance of farming, both in supplying food and protecting wildlife within its natural habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    Co-op farming

• Been farming since 1896
    • Owns 17,200 hectares
    • 200 employees
    • 70% of it is cereals
    • Only 2% goes directly to shops

From Farm to Fork

From cereals to potatoes, cider apples to peas we farm Over 50,000 acres of land across the UK, growing food for our stores and providing our customers with the best of British. And we believe in educating children where their food comes from too. Thatís why we introduced our From Farm to Fork outdoor learning experience for primary schoolchildren. Over 75,000 children have now experienced the world beyond the classroom through one of our supervised farm visits. For some children, it will be the first time they have experienced all the countryside has to offer. We hope they gain an understanding of the importance of farming, both in supplying food and protecting wildlife within its natural habitat.
    That's the biggest shame in my opinion, with their own farms they have a unique marketing opportunity that has never really been exploited to its full potential. It is also perhaps telling that they don't see the farms as a way of producing produce at an economic advantage over their competitors by farming themselves, instead it'll remain cheaper to source stuff on the open market. Having said that the banking arm is in such a horrendous mess that a panicked sale of land assets probably makes more sense from within head office.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

50,000 acres for sale at one go. Is that going to have a significant impact on land values or is it just a fleabite ?

Divide it up into pony paddocks and make a mint.

50,000 acres for sale at one go. Is that going to have a significant impact on land values or is it just a fleabite ?
    I was thinking that.It's lack of surply that's made land prices rocket in the last few years.(oh and rich people looking for a tax dodge)

Crown Estates?
    Good old C of E?
    Not a lot of them but they are there.
    gee

Wayne Rooney could pay for it it in 27 years on only his wages ( quite sad really to think of Wayne becoming squire ) has any one asked him

and witch bank will give him the mortgage co op perhaps would be god to approach about it with its interest in agriculture I know im a suspicious git

Having been brought up on a 5 Farm co-op Estate which was managed by my late Father & solf off back in 1966, it was a sad day in our family when the sale of all Co-op farms was announced.

Perhaps the Farming side of the Co-op was the easiest way for them to bring the books back in line. Every large business seems to fall foul of the calculator somewhere down the line.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Basilbrush View Post
    . Every large business seems to fall foul of the calculator somewhere down the line.

BB
    It is indeed sad to see it go. But perhaps it will be an opportune time for their contract farm landowners to see some benefit from re letting or contracting the land to smaller and local businesses rather than the arrangements set up by the national Land Agents/Consultancy outfits with the Corporate style agri contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    It is indeed sad to see it go. But perhaps it will be an opportune time for their contract farm landowners to see some benefit from re letting or contracting the land to smaller and local businesses rather than the arrangements set up by the national Land Agents/Consultancy outfits with the Corporate style agri contractors.
    It will be sold to the highest bidder, and run by the most efficient farmers. As it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post
    It will be sold to the highest bidder, and run by the most efficient farmers. As it should be.
    I was thinking of the contract farming business where presumably the individual land owners will have to find new contractors/share farmers to take on their land. Basilbrush suggested that big business always seem to come unstuck somewhere down the line so I just wondered if the opportunities were made more transparent before the deals are done with the big farm management companies there maybe better long term deals to be had with smaller local businesses. The general feeling amongst the natives is that when the corporates move into a farm the state of the land, buildings and community tend to deteriorate.

......"The general feeling amongst the natives is that when the corporates move into a farm the state of the land, buildings and community tend to deteriorate.[/QUOTE]"
    [/U]

Perhaps this is because the purpose of a corporation is to make a profit for it shareholders, and that profit can be distributed only as money - leaving less for other purposes such as maintenance of buildings and the community, whereas those of us who are individual farmers are willing to take "profits" in non-tangible ways.

W seem to be entering the age of the corporation, in more ways than one. As I understand it, Aus is currently negotiating so-called free trade agreements with some Pacific rim countries, and if what we are told is correct, corporations will be able to sue governments if things are not to their liking, in ways most of us would consider to be unacceptable.

JV

JV

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    Completely agree.
    What about a new entrants scheme for young farmers.

There is plenty of evidence out there that confirms that the above is very often a complete contradiction in terms !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    There is plenty of evidence out there that confirms that the above is very often a complete contradiction in terms !
    Deep pockets can, and often do, dull the brain

Deep pockets can, and often do, dull the brain
    And when it all turns to dust........there is the opportunity!
    gee

There is about 15,000 acres of owned land, rest is rented/contract farmed.
    The co op was formed during the ag depression of 1896 to grow and directly market the procuce to the consumer.

Maybe, but the less efficient ones cannot afford the high rents.

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    if what we are told is correct, corporations will be able to sue governments if things are not to their liking, in ways most of us would consider to be unacceptable.
    Care to elaborate? Genuinely interested.

Effieciency doesn't really come in to it at times.
    It's generally the smaller farmers that can't afford (or justify) the high rents !

There are plenty of smaller farmers down here that are efficient...but they are usually out bid by the big boys looking to spread their fixed costs.

There was a time when being a tenant of The National Trust meant that you had the piece of mind & understanding that it was a priority of such Organisations to preserve the smaller family farms & the communities that these smaller farms often represent & support ?
    With at least one tenant of a smaller family farm now being given the proposal of an 80% rent increase...it would therefore appear that The National Trust now have a policy of putting profits before principals ?
    Hang on a minute...are The National Trust not a "not for profit" charity ?

+1

Happy to if I can; not currently in the news, so I'll have to do some research, which takes time I seldom have. Maybe Google would turn up something, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure of what search terms would work best. There is an acronym for it, which I might remember eventually. As I remember Korea will be the first FTA signed, resulting in cheaper cars for us (currently a 5% tariff) and our ag. exports will get easier entry - but only over a period of years,- then possibly China or Japan. Also from memory, trademarks came into the discussions somehow, but I think this was not the real problem some are worried about.

JV

Hello Condi

Try this link for starters.

there are additional links at the end of the story..JV

http://tasmaniantimes.com/index.php?...ut-free-trade/

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Hello Condi

Try this link for starters.

there are additional links at the end of the story..JV

http://tasmaniantimes.com/index.php?...ut-free-trade/

Without wishing to be rude, much of that article is scaremongering at best, and bullshit at worst. Anywhere which cites Monbiot as a reliable source needs to check their journalism! The rules are there to stop the likes of Argentina seizing assets, like Repsol, and the company having no recourse.

Without wishing to be rude, much of that article is scaremongering at best, and bullshit at worst. Anywhere which cites Monbiot as a reliable source needs to check their journalism! The rules are there to stop the likes of Argentina seizing assets, like Repsol, and the company having no recourse.
    You could be right - I haven't followed the reports closely. Did you look at the other links at the end of the story? What is your comment about what was written there?

I'm familiar with Peter Henning's writing, and on matters that I have knowledge of, his work is accurate, so I would trust what he says until I was shown convincing alternative evidence. I occasionally read Monbiot, and see sense in at least some of what he says. I note, for instance, he has argued against growing maize to feed digesters. On an end-to-end carbon accounting basis, I suspect that it is a very dodgy deal, by which I mean that I would be surprised if the solar energy harvested exceeded the fossil energy invested on a whole of project basis - which ought to be the purpose of the excercise.
    JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 01-03-14 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Re-wording for clarity

I would think some of this land will be vacuumed () up ........ or do I mean "Hoovered"? Perhaps I am dyson with death?

Condi Here's some follow-up info you might like to consider:

http://tasmaniantimes.com/index.php?.../show_comments

JV