Thread: Lambs with swollen ear

Lambs with swollen ear

I tagged me pedigree lambs the other! I did everything carefully making sure the tags were in the right place and disinfected the tags perform inserting them! Been round the sheep this morning and noticed that one or two have one ear down and have swelled up! I have grabbed the lambs and tags are in the correct place haven't gone through and of the tendons just through the flesh!
    The lambs are about a month old what may of caused this and what can I treat them with or will I be best to cut the tags out?
    I maybe think thy could have banged them going in and out of the creep feeder!

Re: Lambs with swollen ear

Cut them out a joke taggin young lambs if you ask me more rules and regulations two fingers up to them all!!!!!!

leave well alone they will be ok in a few weeks , often get a few like this ,

I would cut them out. I had a ram, something got his tag messed up, maybe head-butting through the fence.

Left it a day or two, didn't look bad. what a mistake. Next day massive swelling and infection, a real mess to sort out.

If you need to identify lambs individually, why not number them with a long-lasting spray or use turkey tags with individual numbers

And then double tag them later on when their ears are strong enough to take a normal sheep tag.