Thread: HT Stock Fencing

HT Stock Fencing

Will be using HT8/80/15 stock fencing. What centres would you go with stakes at? I have been advised 3 metre. Also would you put a strainer and struts every 50m or 100m??

Re: HT Stock Fencing

Place stakes every 3 metres and strainers every 100! Sometimes we go to 150metres with strainers if on a straight pull! And never had any problems

With HT wire you can go to 4m happily, even 5 against a nice hedge, so long as your stakes & strainers are in properly Don't really see the value in putting strainers every 100m unless you would do a 200m pull in 2?
    Chances are in most fields you'll have turners more often than that anyway.

If you are using a post knocker, use heavy 6' posts with 5 metre spacing.

And use strainer/turning posts in any dips or bends where you think there is a danger of normal posts lifting out of the ground.

And if you have sheep, put the net on upside down to reduce the risk of heads getting caught.

I have only recently discovered that there is HT8/80/30 which is that much cheaper, but does not seem to be advertised as much. Is there a down side to the 30? Seems to me it saves putting 15 on upside down (wire wasted for no good reason).

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse1 View Post
    I have only recently discovered that there is HT8/80/30 which is that much cheaper, but does not seem to be advertised as much. Is there a down side to the 30? Seems to me it saves putting 15 on upside down (wire wasted for no good reason).
    Some brands also do a HT8/80/22 which I use in open runs. I use the 30 against a good hedge as I also think it a waste, and very odd looking, to put wire upside down.

Upside down wire just looks wrong! I've always used the wide spaced ('pheasant friendly') HT wire, and don't get heads stuck. The intermediate posts are only there to hold the wire up, it's the tension that keeps it up & the stock in. Far more important to have strainers in properly so they don't move, and only at the ends of runs or sharp turns. I've never understood the fascination with putting strutted strainers in the middle of runs, often with the wire only held on with staples. Use good turning posts at every change in direction, however slight, and where you have dips you don't want the posts lifting. I always put stakes at 4m+, or 5m against a hedge. Had some 15 yr old HT fencing at home on 7m spacing, and it was still good.