Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most satisfing job on the farm.

Most satisfing job on the farm.

Ok a bit corny but I was among some drains this morning on land we bought 2 years ago. This land has been well thought of at some point in time as it has really good clay tile drains in at about 3 foot deep but for the last 35 years that I know of the land has been neglected. All that has happened is that the outfall of the system has been covered over by pillocks tipping stone over it after picking when ploughing presumably. Anyway after standing full of water for years a fair few laterals are blocked creating very wet spots so I've been among them just scraping the soil off the top of the tiles , breaking a small bit out of a tile and getting the rods down. Hell fire you can't beat the glugging sound of stinky old water running down an unblocked tile! bet that bit of field is as dry as a cork by tomorrow.

Re: Most satisfing job on the farm.

Bit of a purge on ditching and drain ridding in out neck of the woods ... The boss has been digging out " fathers" drain maps.. And have spent several days hauling spoil and cleaning-ridding pipe ends, mending drains with bits of clay pipe that have survived for years being moved on the "pallet"..
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Slightly different for me, but I like seeing grass come up in the rows and how tidy and uniform it is once its had some weed control. I get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing the results of my efforts later.

For me it's several things, some of them may not be that fun but they're still satisfying!
    -Putting up or repairing fencing
    -General maintenance like tree pruning or filling in pot holes as they're really annoying problems but fantastic when they're done
    -Digging/Ditching
    -Cultivations
    -Making things in the workshop

You're right. Tiles don't work here but earlier I got a lad to deepen open ditches as I have been meaning to do for years. Originally, they would have been dug by hand with a decent slope on them as that would have been easiest. I took them down to almost level and the water has only been half way up the culverts all winter proving my theories. Very satisfying. Now I am not so reliant on unco-operative neighbours being co-operative which was an almost impossible dream!

I don't think you can really top the satisfaction of a successful calving, specifically where you have had to assist....

I do agree satisfaction from getting any of the maintenance tasks done is good too!

Satisfaction is things going well, jobs where you can see where you have been and having the time to just look at the world.

Sometimes when digging with JCB here,we come across plastic pipe at 2' put in the 80's?,doing nothing whatsoever.
    Then,6" deeper we come across clay pipes,bit of water flowing.
    Then 1' deeper still,beautifull stone drains with flat stone caps.full of water,but usually bunged at the outfall because ditches weren't cleaned deep enough.I sometimes think we have lost the plot when it comes land maintenance.Tractors may have GPS etc.,but are we neglecting the basics?

The simple tasks are often the most enjoyable (for me) forking hay up to the troughs - I've always enjoyed forking about!

Quote Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
    Hell fire you can't beat the glugging sound of stinky old water running down an unblocked tile! bet that bit of field is as dry as a cork by tomorrow.
    Didn't read your post til I'd made my decision and thought any job seen through from start to finish is satisfying, but then was taken back to clearing croft drains/ditches - loved the hand digging when I was fit!

Agree with timhaven
    They didn't dig the stone drains trenches by hand for something to do
    We dug clay tiles in by hand in the late 50's

If you don't look after the soil - structure & stop it dyeing either by compaction or water logging

Everything else is mostly wasted

Xlandman

Its each to their own, everyone gets a 'kick' or 'buzz' of great satisfaction out different things. I love standing back and admiring a new stock fence when iv got it looking perfect, or after rebuilding a slab of dyke. Also love turning out the ewes after iv done a days shearing. But its all pale in comparison to my right now. Lambing. No other job in the world even gets close for me.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

For me its rolling the fields, Something about the next day checking around stock on a sunny day if lucky, just looks that little bit nicer, strange things and all

Quote Originally Posted by timhaven View Post
    Sometimes when digging with JCB here,we come across plastic pipe at 2' put in the 80's?,doing nothing whatsoever.
    Then,6" deeper we come across clay pipes,bit of water flowing.
    Then 1' deeper still,beautifull stone drains with flat stone caps.full of water,but usually bunged at the outfall because ditches weren't cleaned deep enough.I sometimes think we have lost the plot when it comes land maintenance.Tractors may have GPS etc.,but are we neglecting the basics?
    Back then, they did it by hand with a spade and not doing it right meant even more work an empty bellies.

throwing the last tyre on the pit and stacking the last round bale in the pile is fairly satisfying for me..also letting the lastof the cows out to grass in spring.

Has to be turn out in spring, cows and calves skipping and jumping about or when the last ewe and lambs is turned out of the shed ahhhhhhh relief!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Has to be turn out in spring, cows and calves skipping and jumping about or when the last ewe and lambs is turned out of the shed ahhhhhhh relief!
    Aye.Thats something to look forward to in June.

Best thing definitly finding long lost drains and letting them go!!
    Probably put in by a tenant farmer long ago and never paid for by the landlord.
    Next best watching the rape take off in the spring and the first load of barley off the combine, all new , clean and bright.

What about muck spreading after a fall of snow, you can really make your mark!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2414.ginger View Post
    What about muck spreading after a fall of snow, you can really make your mark!!!
    Some parts of the country your not allowed to do that anymore.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    Some parts of the country your not allowed to do that anymore.....
    No I'm going back quite a few years but I still remember it well.

For me there's nothing better than having a lame cow walk into the crush finding the problem and her walking away as if nothing was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 2414.ginger View Post
    No I'm going back quite a few years but I still remember it well.
    I think it was 2004 the NVZ was introduced here. Did enjoy having a free afternoon and getting a field blackened when a hard frost came down in mid winter, getting the grass kicking on for ewes lambing. It always felt like a good winter job, bloody NVZ's!!

For me it is simply down to the weather. Since it is cloudy and damp here for so much of the year, I find so much pleasure in almost any job when the sun actually comes out and shines on us. I was probably at my happiest at the job in the second half of last summer when we had plenty of decent weather from July on, and the work is only half the trouble and you don't have to break your neck to get a week's work done in two days.

I've never been a big fan of the drains to be honest, but it is good to get those spots sorted.

First tractor jobs I was allowed to do relatively unsupervised when I was first taught to drive. Rolling and carting round bales.

Most satisifing job here is cutting a 4.5 ton crop of wheat at 16% moisture.And seeing the baler getting on well too at the straw.
    Dose nt happen all that often but when it does its nice

2 things.

1) Being able to let stock onto a fresh clean sward every single day. Sometimes (most of the time) I think 'oh god not again, do I really have to go out to the fields?' but once out and I pull that fence across and they all rush in and start munching, running around with joy, cleaning mud off their feet in winter (and some summers) that all melts away and I feel really pleased that I can do that for them.

2) Textbook births. I hate having to intervene at all, I get far more satisfaction from popping my head over a fence and seeing an up-and-dry baby with an attentive mother than I do from having to pull something out, even if that goes well.

In a previous life, before the joys of beef cows, I worked on a mixed farm as a tractorman. I used to love harvest/sowing time in August and September and out of that time I used to love getting going with the plough at 5 in the morning. It was great to watch the world coming alive around you as the daylight crept in. That, and getting half a field turned over before breakfast

Nowadays, it's selling a good, even batch of calves at the mart. Whenever I'm selling, I'm usually sick with nerves on the morning of the sale but there's nothing better than when the bids go over what you'd hoped to get and getting a mention in the P&J the following day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    Its each to their own, everyone gets a 'kick' or 'buzz' of great satisfaction out different things. I love standing back and admiring a new stock fence when iv got it looking perfect, or after rebuilding a slab of dyke. Also love turning out the ewes after iv done a days shearing. But its all pale in comparison to my right now. Lambing. No other job in the world even gets close for me.
    +1 - riding around the farm looking at a boundary where the old knackered fence has been pulled out, the overhanging trees cut back, the ditch cleaned, hedgecutter up and down and a new netting fence, nice posts and taut wire.
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

The farm assurance inspector going down the drive and thus the feeling of being able to get on with real work now for 12mths , exactly the same when going clear on a tb test , the latter doesn't seem to happen to often unfortunately . Both the above jobs achieve absolutely nothing but do give a great feeling of pleasure when they are out of the way . If we were getting somewhere with TB it wouldn't be such a chore and if farm assurance achieved something like an organic assurance i.e an extra 8p/litre it would feel worthwhile but currently they are just a waste of my time and money