Thread: fostering a calf

fostering a calf

Had a cow calve that had a calf that was coming backwards and the vet had to put a nerve block in to get it. It was dead and premature, got a calf off someone to put on the cow the next day. The calf is a good sucker but cow doesn't like it yet after a week. Have put cow in the crush it will let it suck I have put it in self locking yokes and it will let it suck but not as well. Now I am standing with it, It will let it suck well you are there but as soon as you walk away the cow walks away. The cow has no nature about has anyone get any ideas on what to do. Thanks

Re: fostering a calf

Stick with it, sometimes they can take up to 5/6 weeks before things happen without you being there.

Same as above, stick with it and put some shackles on the cow, tie her up with a alter, eventually she'll give in.

Yes, stick with it. Keep her penned up on her own but watch the calf doesn't become afraid of her.

As a last resort, after a few weeks, you could try putting them in a pen with 2 or 3 others. Sometimes it just 'clicks', maybe because it's the only calf she recognises.
    That won't work if the calf's afraid of her, though.

Its easy , get the cow to think she is having a calf , how ? , put her in the crush , put your arm up where a calf comes out , make her start forcing , keep at it for a good while , take out your arm covered in slime and rub it into the calves head and tail , she will think she had a calf and start licking it.

You're probably doing it already, but I should have added - feed her while you're standing there and before long you should be able to walk away as long as she's got her head in the bucket. Give her plenty, though, so the calf's finished before she is.

Too late for this one, but use the skin the next time. More work than with a lamb but almost always saves a lot of time and stress in the long run.

Unless the cow has bonded with the now dead calf skinning it would have been an unpleasant waste of time as I think will be starting to grope inside a cow that has calved a week ago to get fluid that won't be there.
    I'd persevere with advice above for a few weeks if you have time and space.
    If not there's always the option of putting here away as beef, sell the calf and buy another less time consuming outfit or a buller.

in such cases we tie the cow to an old stake/traveler like in the old byres.

tie the two backlegs about 10-12 inches apart to stop it kicking the calf.

let the calf out 2-3 times a aday. can take up to 10 days but the calf can be left with the cow after the first 3 days withits own bed away fromthe cow but free acces to the cow.

u will know when she has taken to the calf.

dog can sometimes be the best to kick in natuural instinct but the cow would need to have had time to at least get used to the calf being with her, bind etc so ahe will have a bit better insticnt to protect it.

only ever failed once in the 40 years dad has been doing it. used to invovle alot of shouting and some stick action but now its just tie cow and tie legs, leave her to it.

When I do it I keep them apart but try to have it so that they can see each other at all times (easier said than done obv) if you can't, don't worry.
    I then put the calf with her twice per day, starting off with the crush, then just in the pen, depending on how she is.
    i always try to corn the cow when the calf is with her as an incentive.
    I had one last month, took 4 weeks to adopt. In the end, keeping them in a pen together became counter productive as the calf wouldn't leave her alone, so I turned her into the yard with the others and she likes him now.
    its just a case of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by collies View Post
    Too late for this one, but use the skin the next time. More work than with a lamb but almost always saves a lot of time and stress in the long run.
    Exactly. There is no other sensible and stress-free way. Sometimes just a flap from the rear end of the dead calf will do, but it's best to learn how to skin a calf properly.

PS. If you're wondering what I'm doing on here at 1. 30 am, It's lambing time.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    Exactly. There is no other sensible and stress-free way. Sometimes just a flap from the rear end of the dead calf will do, but it's best to learn how to skin a calf properly.

PS. If you're wondering what I'm doing on here at 1. 30 am, It's lambing time.
    +1

Much easier if you can skin the dead calf the next time . Make a small incision near a back ankle ( hock ) joint , and stick an airline in as far as you can . This makes the slow unpleasant task a quicker unpleasant task , as it separates the skin from the flesh . And as others have said , you don't need all the skin .
    The views posted are mine and not those of my employers

thanks for the reply's they are helpful but they haven't helped much cos I was doing it any way but it is good to no I wasn't doing anything majorly wrong. have learned that I should skin the calf in future to try and make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by v46 View Post
    thanks for the reply's they are helpful but they haven't helped much cos I was doing it any way but it is good to no I wasn't doing anything majorly wrong. have learned that I should skin the calf in future to try and make it easier.
    But ... you haven't told us how the cow and calf are getting on ...........

It the risk of getting slated I'll say it again. Don't beat yourself up about not skinning it, it's a rotten job and won't guarantee success especially if cow hasn't bonded with the calf. I've skinned ones that didn't work and fostered others without skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    It the risk of getting slated I'll say it again. Don't beat yourself up about not skinning it, it's a rotten job and won't guarantee success especially if cow hasn't bonded with the calf. I've skinned ones that didn't work and fostered others without skinning.
    I agree, I tend not to bother skinning. Patience and familiarity normally work well enough.
    last one I had that didn't adopt was due to the cow not having enough milk. It started off ok, then she dried off.

You get some that just wont take a calf & can kick with frightning precision, try an open weave bag over her head as it sometimes works just to distract them, other cure is a glass of whisky

skinning works even if the calf is born dead

The cow hasn't taken the calf yet but I haven't given up yet. Self locking feed barriers are good I leave it fastened up in this for an hour whilst I feed the rest hopefully it will get the message I have put some other cows and calves with it so it might get the message. Thanks again for the messages you have left they have been really helpful

The cow hasn't taken the calf yet but I haven't given up yet. Self locking feed barriers are good I leave it fastened up in this for an hour whilst I feed the rest hopefully it will get the message I have put some other cows and calves with it so it might get the message. Thanks again for the messages you have left they have been really helpful
    Try to resist using the " Henry Brewis adopting tool".