Thread: Marts asking for EiD Slaughter Tags

Marts asking for EiD Slaughter Tags

Hi All,

I have heard a rumour that some marts may start asking for EiD Slaughter tags in all lambs sold from the summer onwards, you may choose to still use plastic slaughter tags but there will be a charge, from the mart, per head for reading them.

Anyone else heard anything similar?

Thanks

Re: Marts asking for EiD Slaughter Tags

If no one else has heard anything maybe it won't be widespread! Thanks for looking at the post though..

Was talking to a mate of mine the other night who keeps a lot of sheep and he said he wouldn't be using electronic slaughter tags this year as last year they cost him extra but didn't earn a penny extra in sale price.

it doesn't come into legislation until next year, but maybe your mart is trying to jump the gun.
    I know my local one isn't insisting on it but are pleased that eid is going to be statutory as it makes it easier for them.

We have had to contend with EID tags here for the last few years, I hope your department have learnt from the mistakes made by the numptys in ours, its shambolic at times if you are handling a lot of sheep. Biggest problem is people not using them properly and faulty tags. A lot of farmers don't realise that if they buy sheep with an eid tag its like a cattle tag and for life and when they go to move it off the farm they tag it again which means at the mart the correct one dosen't get read and starts a whole domino affect. Good luck you will need it.