Thread: Keeping to the footpath ...

Keeping to the footpath ...

Would you go to these lengths?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-barrier.html

or should I say ... would you love to go to these lengths!
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Re: Keeping to the footpath ...

Yes.

No problems there, there is a footpath, fenced to protect the people using it,, imagine the uproar if he running cattle there and some one gets I juried,,, damned if you do etc,, good luck to him
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

I seem to remember walking on one similar in Kent some years ago.

Do u reckon I could do the same with our local hunt??

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    Do u reckon I could do the same with our local hunt??
    going on your location and being a hunting man myself i can imagine you see a fair bit of them? are you a tenant on the estate?

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie123 View Post
    going on your location and being a hunting man myself i can imagine you see a fair bit of them? are you a tenant on the estate?
    Yep we are, and yes we see a fair bit of them and probably you have ventured across our farm! I don't object so much to the horses and people on feet but the people on motorbikes and vehicles that think they can drive anywhere that get right on my wick!!

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    Yep we are, and yes we see a fair bit of them and probably you have ventured across our farm! I don't object so much to the horses and people on feet but the people on motorbikes and vehicles that think they can drive anywhere that get right on my wick!!
    never actually hunted with them, a farmer round here was saying the same at end of this season, didn't mind one bike but after 8 had came through it was taking the piss

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie123 View Post
    never actually hunted with them, a farmer round here was saying the same at end of this season, didn't mind one bike but after 8 had came through it was taking the piss
    The hunt staff I understand needing to get about on bikes (laying the trail obviously!) but the rest are just taking the piss. The hunt master is very good at trying to curb it and get them to keep to roads/tracks but he has an impossible task on his hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    Would you go to these lengths?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-barrier.html

or should I say ... would you love to go to these lengths!
    Back to the original post, I think we ought to nominate him for a medal/
    I have often dreamed of doing the same thing but had neither the balls or the money to do it!!
    Jack Caley

www.calamill.com

Back to the OP. Yes. And I know of two people who have done it where the footpath was ridiculously close to buildings. I think the main problem is the public interpretation of the CROW act, instanced here by what one of the "action group" said "We went to Mr Brunt to ask him if maybe there was something we could do to still access the field but he refused"

In other words, could we please allow our dogs to run about all over your fields and crap where they like so that we don't have to clean it up.

I had an argument one day with a chap who, when told that my fields were not a public park, said "I've got to exercise my dog somewhere" so I advised him to get his cheque book out and bloody buy some like I had to.

would love to do this! how much does that stuff cost? next thing some'll take their gas axe for a walk at 2am

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Back to the original post,te hI think we ought to nominaim for a medal/
    I have often dreamed of doing the same thing but had neither the balls or the money to do it!!
    Jack Caley

www.calamill.com
    I do to . I dont have any public paths here but once had some land that had . I dont know why but the signe post never lasted more than 12hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Wilts` View Post
    would love to do this! how much does that stuff cost? next thing some'll take their gas axe for a walk at 2am
    Every field we have has an official footpath down at least one side of it and most have two
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    Every field we have has an official footpath down at least one side of it and most have two
    Ever thought of moving ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilts` View Post
    Depending on what height you want, but it's around 30/metre. Or 60/m if you're doing both sides like in the article. It'll cost to erect on top of that.

It does look bl**dy horrible but when you get towards the end of the article it would seem there was a huge amount of abuse of the f/p. The cheeky barstewards attempting to establish a village green or dog toilet really would have been the last straw. I suppose a hedge grown along each side would help but it would eventually create more maintenance.

we have a footpath through our yard a lady handed us a 300 vets bill after our 14 year old jack russel nipped her dog. apparently we are liable, so our insurance paid up and we told her we would shoot our dog, the b*tch left in tears and won't be walking her dog through our yard again.

He must get more for his hay than I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubbuster View Post
    He must get more for his hay than I do!
    He get bugger all for it if its full of dog shit n rubbish,,, n the "locals"mess with the bales,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

The paper had in bottom corner sticker, joke,saying he could have put one of these up: keep your dog on a lead.
    What a waste of time a sign is.
    The farmer is always in the wrong ; An't we?

Surprising to see the comments at the bottom are almost unanimously positive in favour of the farmer, bit of a turn up for Daily Mail readers really
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Its almost too horrible for words, but I don't blame him one bit. If it was me I'd put holly down the sides of it, clearing up the eyesore factor and stopping some of the inevitable litter reaching the stock too. Its just a bl**dy pity it comes to this; a wood my neighbour owns has had a couple of dog walking vans visit each morning for about a year now and the crap is everywhere it's got to the point that he is resolved to film the 'walkers' ignoring the dog crapping and bring a private prosecution if the council won't act. I'm pretty sure that if he is successful the word will go around and the 'walkers' will start clearing up, they can't afford to pay for cases and costs.

Planting holly sounds good but it will all disappear at Christmas
    blackthorn is probably best long term answer
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Agreed, along with a decent education system. How thick must they be to put shit in a bag and then discard the bag onto the path? Or the classic; not being able to follow a footpath which runs along a hedge line without walking through the middle of the field and ending up in the farmyard to ask for directions!
    It is very tempting to fence them in for their own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Blackthorn is great, but easy to see through for a fair part of the year. I think I'd want to have it as well-blocked as possible, anyway the only holly we see going is that with berries on it. Plant a load of male ones and that shouldn't be a problem.

Looking at the education idea... everyone knows what is right and wrong in most situations (including this one), the fact is they just don't give a toss. I think old Badger had it right, we don't want to teach them 'We want to learn them!' Sadly the courts frown upon the use of large sticks while tutoring fools in the ways of righteousness, so I guess this chap's fence is the best solution for that place.

Don't think education has much to do with it. They all know they are in the wrong leaving dogs mess everywhere trampling crops etc. most of these dog walkers are well educated. The thick ones leave their pit bull chained up.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.