Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this forum dying?

Re: Is this forum dying?

Quote Originally Posted by NewQman View Post
    ... and when you hit on a post you get the first unread one.
    clicking the blue arrow next to thread title does that on here

And when you have replied to a post it would be good to get back to the topic with one click, instead of the many clicks on here.
    Yes,I'll say this quietly,but the "other place" does seem like a nice set up with some good ideas as you say.It just seems to be dominated by 6 people who must spend 24hrs a day posting their twaddle on every thread.

And when you have replied to a post it would be good to get back to the topic with one click, instead of the many clicks on here.
    This would definitely be an improvement and all it requires is admin to check the "allow quick reply" box. It is already catered for within this forum's software.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    For the record I have been asked to edit my posts as they might be inadvertently suggesting someone has committed a criminal act. I do apologise for any offence caused and did not wish to make accusations of any kind.

Regards

Ollie

Also, before I forget, I must say that for some perverse reason I do actually miss the musings of WalterP, the chap with the abacus and amazing cut and paste skills, and also, last but certainly not least, Lumpkin, a man of great wit but also great kindness. One can only hope the eternal internet limbo in which they found themselves when BFF crashed is pleasant one for them, although I do get the alarming thought in my mind that potentially I could be dealing with one of them on a regular basis and never actually know it.
    blimey Ollie, have you found religion out there so close to Sherborne.. Does make you wonder though who "one" is yapping too at the mart, over a gate etc etc, especially in your line o work.

Richard
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

No ,not in my opinion.I was on BFF before the crash,got on no problem,no obvious vetting,nothing.Have no idea of all the goings on that caused the crash and the split after.Go on both for info, light relief,giving the benefit of my vast experience,(not really,just returning help received if I can), and occasional steam blow off.Visit both forums using the same name.Have no gripe with anyone on either forum.Like the telly,you can turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles1 View Post
    No ,not in my opinion.I was on BFF before the crash,got on no problem,no obvious vetting,nothing.Have no idea of all the goings on that caused the crash and the split after.Go on both for info, light relief,giving the benefit of my vast experience,(not really,just returning help received if I can), and occasional steam blow off.Visit both forums using the same name.Have no gripe with anyone on either forum.Like the telly,you can turn it off.
    ditto, no idea what happened at the crash, but still enjoy it all the same, sometimes too busy to post, sometimes to lazy, try to put a few things up when I can.
    a lot of the chaps have helped me out with machinery breakdowns and things so I'm very grateful to them, even if they have moved forums.
    myself I just use this one, you all seem like a nice bunch even if we do have differences of opinions sometimes

I was a member on the old forum and when it crashed joined this and the other forum. I was not involved with all the mysterious goings on either.

I read the title "Is this forum dying" and tended to agree. There has not been enough posts lately on this site and I go on the other more often. If I may, I would like to recommend some of the things I find better on TFF such as the "like" button, the way it is set out and when you hit on a post you get the first unread one.

I think improvements need to be made to this site if it is to remain successful.
    In principle I Agree. I was a member of the original BFF and like many I was saddened by the split. I now look at both sites, my main interest is in livestock and associated issues and would suggest that in recent months the number of threads, posts and general input on TFF has been far more interesting than on here and it is my personal view that the TFF site layout is somehow easier to use.

It is obvious that there are people on each site with axes to grind, chips on shoulders and the I wouldn't be seen dead posting on there type attitude, however the people who run this forum should not be blinkered into thinking that all is well ! There is some good constructive criticism amongst some of the squabling set out above and they would be foolish to ignore it.

MGH

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Thanks from me as well!
    I'd still like a "like" button. Then you can show your thanks without posting again. Without trying to be rude, I hate it when you see a new post and all it says is thanks, like mine above.

Thanks from me as well!
    I'd still like a "like" button. Then you can show your thanks without posting again. Without trying to be rude, I hate it when you see a new post and all it says is thanks, like mine above.
    Surely Liking a post and thanking someone for their help or information are two separate things ?

Courtesy costs nothing !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Surely Liking a post and thanking someone for their help or information are two separate things ?

Courtesy costs nothing !
    Pity I can't like that post Phil

i tried and tried and tried and tried to join as a member here but never never never got so much as a reply as to why i couldnt join just a denial message saying we do not accept free email addresses , not once was it suggested to use so and so . com then you will be accepted.
    i joined both forums on the same day after the crash on here with the same free email address which really vexed me especially as i seem to remember a message on here saying we are temporarily accepting free e mail addresses to allow members to rejoin . now i am no computer or it whizzo but am lead to believe that the software that was/is being used by bff is not as state of the art as some others and indeed doesnt offer such good protection to virus/hackers.
    i use both forums ,although spend much more time on tff than here , after a long day, logging in and seeing likes and people quoting your posts at the touch of a button and being able to see which threads you have replied to have been added to is great , this place isnt dying but it needs a bloody good kick up the arse because although most of the contributors are farming types we are also becoming more and more techno savvy and dont want to be left in the dark ages
    to sum up what a lot of others are saying i think i can put in in a sort of analogy (i think that is the correct word)
    some of us like the Times ,some the Independent some the Sun they are all papers with the same stories they just appeal to slightly different audiences

Courtesy costs nothing !
    Never a truer word spoken
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Let BFF be like snooker and TFF be like darts ,there is no way of pleasing everyone and as I have said before Clive has done a great job of making this place more civilised .To have 1 forum would be madness with the squabbling that went on before ,personally I have great faith in the mods on this forum and have no problem with posts & threads being deleted if they see fit, if others disagree then they have a choice, IMO people who get their underwear in a twist about deleting their posts are taking themselves far to seriously.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Let BFF be like snooker and TFF be like darts ,there is no way of pleasing everyone and as I have said before Clive has done a great job of making this place more civilised .To have 1 forum would be madness with the squabbling that went on before ,personally I have great faith in the mods on this forum and have no problem with posts & threads being deleted if they see fit, if others disagree then they have a choice, IMO people who get their underwear in a twist about deleting their posts are taking themselves far to seriously.
    I was not going to bother posting on this thread but a good post Skoda. I do occasionally look in at the Darts and also like Billiards for a little fun.

Courtesy costs nothing !

Thanks Phil.

You see a waste of anyone's time to read nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Like.

Interesting that one of the most active threads on here for a while, is questioning whether this forum is dieing?

Like many, I use both, but find myself spending more time over yonder and only infrequently looking in here these days. 'Over there' is a similar layout as BFF was before OT was mistakenly sent to oblivion, where you can choose if you indulge in that nonsense or not. Shame really, from what BFF once was.

Personally, I fail to see why some get so worked up about what did or didn't happen, to post such venomous tosh regarding those who dare go elsewhere. It's just an internet forum(s), which both 'owners' claim to make nothing from.

Bit like a pub really .
    If you enjoy the ambience you stay and enjoy and maybe for a change dip into another !
    To suggest this forum might be dying is a lot of old B*****ks

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Interesting that one of the most active threads on here for a while, is questioning whether this forum is dieing?

Like many, I use both, but find myself spending more time over yonder and only infrequently looking in here these days. 'Over there' is a similar layout as BFF was before OT was mistakenly sent to oblivion, where you can choose if you indulge in that nonsense or not. Shame really, from what BFF once was.

Personally, I fail to see why some get so worked up about what did or didn't happen, to post such venomous tosh regarding those who dare go elsewhere. It's just an internet forum(s), which both 'owners' claim to make nothing from.
    Oh I don't know neilo, Clive has been pretty upfront about his advertising coming in, and renting a stand at cereals will have cost a bloody fortune to do.

My interest is really in the arable and Dd sections, which virtually died on here with the crash. Shame we can't just move on really.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Profi Farmer

The Forum4Farming set-up has a 'thanks' button which is useful.

Quick reply panel would also be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by nick... View Post
    You lot should move to join TFF.this forum is rubbish compared to what it once was.too much moderator interferance and ive met several people who could not get on the old bff despite sending emails which were never replied to.i think this forum is just about dead.ive enjoyed it in the past but times move on.i expect to get banned now but thats about the facts of it people
    nick..
    Still shooting from the hip then nick ?

Both forums can exist quite happily - without the need for all the back stabbing & mouthing off !

I don't post on TFF, but I do read it occasionally if I am looking for a bit of light entertainment...particularly if our 4 children are not here !
    Clive has a good set up over on TFF...but that is not to say it is everyone's cup of tea !

This forum was...is still... and always will be the "original forum for farmers" !

Phil.

Who cares if the owner of either forum makes money or not? I hope they do. I don't read the other one as I can't handle the grammar, as mentioned. It's my problem and I am in therapy at the moment. I hope they do make at least some money. If they are making a mint, even better. Running something like this is hardly the work of a moment and it's been a bloody good resource for me to be honest. As a 'new entrant' who grew up on a working farm, it's invaluable to be able to get the honest views of folk who do it every day. I hope I can add a bit too from my off farm excursions over the last 20 years and my ridiculous hippyfied views.

I don't want a like button or an unread posts thing or whatever. It's perfect as it is in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Profi Farmer View Post
    The Forum4Farming set-up has a 'thanks' button which is useful.

Quick reply panel would also be welcome.
    Has been mentioned/suggested before.
    What is quite unique to this forum in my experience is the fact that generally suggestions are completely ignored by admin and also to a certain extent moderators. I will let the mods off as they wouldn't be able to change much anyway.
    On no other forum that I use on many different subjects would suggestions be completely ignored. You might only get a "we will look into it" or a "having looked into this previously we decided against it", but here you get nothing. This in my opinion is part of why the other place is more successful. It is your own personal opinion if it is better or worse but it is more successful in terms of posts (and I mean quality posts not just the chaff).

I know all about it being a busy time of year but if that is the real issue then take on more staff, there are plenty of loyal and responsible long term members on here willing to help out.
    These are not meant to sound like negative comments, more intended as constructive criticism. I think I am weeing into the wind though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Has been mentioned/suggested before.
    What is quite unique to this forum in my experience is the fact that generally suggestions are completely ignored by admin and also to a certain extent moderators. I will let the mods off as they wouldn't be able to change much anyway.
    On no other forum that I use on many different subjects would suggestions be completely ignored. You might only get a "we will look into it" or a "having looked into this previously we decided against it", but here you get nothing. This in my opinion is part of why the other place is more successful. It is your own personal opinion if it is better or worse but it is more successful in terms of posts (and I mean quality posts not just the chaff).

I know all about it being a busy time of year but if that is the real issue then take on more staff, there are plenty of loyal and responsible long term members on here willing to help out.
    These are not meant to sound like negative comments, more intended as constructive criticism. I think I am weeing into the wind though.

Judging by what has been posted on there recently......I reckon the belt that drives the fan has snapped !

This thread has raised some valid points about the forums layout, features and perhaps we should have a return of the off topic section provided the mods have a button to bin any which stray a bit far from the flock so to speak?

If the mods and owner choose to run this forum in the way they do and it dies, like the FWI one then that is up to them. I like it as it is and I'll stay. I don't think it will die just because it hasn't got pause, rewind and fast forward as default for the text speak generation. It's working good if you ask me. Has a healthy membership who show respect to one another's ridiculous opinions and that's that.

So give up and go back. If you have the ultimate forum then go post on it. You can be alerted at 2am if someone disagrees with you or texted through your tractor's GPS or whatever.

It's fine. It's lovely. I think a lot of us like it. Shut up.

The thing that bugs me about this forum is that the 'owner' *never* seems to contribute in any way

On the 'dark side' the owner there seems to participate and try and alter the forum to accommodate the wishes of his members

Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    The thing that bugs me about this forum is that the 'owner' *never* seems to contribute in any way

On the 'dark side' the owner there seems to participate and try and alter the forum to accommodate the wishes of his members
    He set it up in the first place & has continued to maintain it ! That is a big contribution in it's self.

Thanks for all the comments.
    I donít think thereís any merit in discussing this further & so Iím locking the topic.

As discussed, any future inter-forum criticism will be deleted as it serves no constructive purpose.

All other issues mentioned are being looked into.

It puts everything into perspective when you read http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/sho...443#post237443

If anyone has anything more to say please PM any of us.

Thank you
    Mags.

Dammed if I do, dammed if I don't!
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum