Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Today I Have Mostly Been...

Re: Today I Have Mostly Been...

Combining wheat at 14% happy days

TB testing
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Skoda hope it goes well,

have lifted, graded n stored all the orchestra, started the melody, ,
    orchestra, have been a bit of bugger really, died off early worse than the estima would have they where supposed to replace, got a bit of scab about em too, and they were irrigated, growth cracks,,, yadda yadda, melody n the same field are 100 times better, slyvanna and sapphire also look good at the moment
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

TIHMB...........wondering how long to hold off before I plant any cereals. 'Tis very dry. Can't see any pre ems being helped in the current weather pattern.
    It'd be nice to hear some rain hitting the bedroom windows overnight.
    Looking out for the next holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    It'd be nice to hear some rain hitting the bedroom windows overnight.
    I know it's been a while, but it would be nice NOT to hear rain/sleet on the windows!

TIHMB measuring hedges.
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

DIY-ing

Hanging new upstairs doors.............2 down, 3 to go

YIWM hanging doors...............

TIHMB doing paperwork, getting the wheels and brake callipers off the Cat 950B shovel. Also looked at a Briggs & Stratton on a Hayter that looks to of been fiddled with by lots of others because it "runs" way too rich, found 3 things wrong but now needs a coil possibly

Tonight-IHMB painting doors...............

Getting Cattle out of the shed and closing fields off for silage .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

getting the engine back together and in the loadall, like the man who mended the alarm clock, i might have some bits left over
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've managed to get the pictures in the wrong order there, the first one is the donor engine i've taken the block and crank from, the second is the old engine with the spun shell shown in the third picture. this is the 'new' engine built up with the donor block and the ancillaries off the old engine

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    getting the engine back together and in the loadall, like the man who mended the alarm clock, i might have some bits left over
    Reminds me of the story of the man who reconditioned an old Fordson Major. He had some bits left over so he buried them in the fold yard.

The Fordson Major still ran like a top.
    Jack Caley

TIHMB putting some carb seals in a Stihl strimmer then reassembling the barstewarding thing to find out its still not got fuel.
    Fuel everywhere but not in the ruddy pot !!
    Pour a bit down plug hole and away to go for a second !!

Cue buying a new carb off fleabay

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    I've managed to get the pictures in the wrong order there, the first one is the donor engine i've taken the block and crank from, the second is the old engine with the spun shell shown in the third picture. this is the 'new' engine built up with the donor block and the ancillaries off the old engine

Oh dear

TIHMB

• sorting out brake calliper spares for the 950B
    • waiting for checker plate stair treads for new stairs in the dryer to be delivered by Parker steel, even tracked the lorry's progress with updates and then unloaded it along with pages of paperwork about it pedigree from Tata in wales and every other detail you could think of!
    • More paperwork and do the monthly spreadsheet on machinery hours/mileages to see whats due servicing next
    • fish out the spare 15-22.5 wheel to go on a dump trailer being hired out, load it and the kit to change it up at the quarry- only one remould left, better order another half score
    • loaded out two barrels of drained oil filters in exchange for 98 and 25 for the paperwork to keep everyone happy
    • weld up a cracked disc on the the quivogne pluton- heaven knows what they ran it over?
    • looked at the kubota ATV with a leg through the ifor-williams plant trailer floor- tomorrows problem!
    • paint a couple more doors

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Getting Cattle out of the shed and closing fields off for silage .
    Silage here next week.
    I'd say it will be a good two weeks after that again before any grass Is cut

TIHMB

• ordering filters for 3 services in the pipeline
    • did a little bit to the 950B brake callipers
    • stuck the last remould on yesterdays wheel change
    • took delivery of a new 400L sprayer for the Kubota ATV. "Universal mounting kit" for the boom was as bad as it sounded

Tonight IHMB still painting doors.............home stretch, top coat now!!

Overseeding

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    Overseeding
    Northampton looks wet

Yesterday (I'll get to today) I managed to pull over a dead 11m Cupressus macrocarpa. About 15 years ago I tried using a straight pull & an MF135. That attempt was a failure, so with adjacent building work pending, it was time for a decent war plan. The tree had been dead for maybe 40 years; its roots were long gone, but it was being held almost upright by the embrace of intertwining branches from an adjacent, living tree of about the same age (approaching 100 years).

The plan was to attach a wire strop about 2/3 up the trunk (achieved) hook a single block to it providing double the pulling power (less the friction - 13%?), and take two 30m wire ropes to anchor tractors, one of the ropes thru the block having some free length for movement. Then, a third tractor was positioned to pull one of the long ropes sideways. Before the pull, I cut as many of the intertwining branches as I could see.

Pleased to say the plan worked; the tree came down in exactly the right place.

In Tas. there has been a vigorous forestry industry since white settlement, exploiting some of the biggest and best timber trees in the world. (I, along with others, argue that numerous government polices have destroyed the industry in recent years by over-cutting and similar foul practices - but that's another story.) "Widow-makers" - branches which fall unexpectedly as a result of nearby felling , are well known here.

Since I've felled some trees in my time, I left the site of the felled tree for a long lunch, and on my return checked the live tree carefully for widow-makers, & saw none, so did a bit of tidying up.

This morning, there's a large branch, fallen overnight, right where I was clearing up. It clearly was torn & cracked when the dead tree was pulled away, but why it waited for the night to fall... who knows. There has been no wind, and no rain.

Now, a question for the BFF brains trust: how much power multiplication is provided by pulling a taught rope sideways? What are the relevant parameters? The length of the rope? The angle at which it's max. power is generated? Any other parameters worth considering?

JV

http://www.planfor.co.uk/Donnees_Sit...00_0001494.jpg so we know what we are talking about .

Your question is far to Tech` for me John.
    Pulling down dead trees is one of the most nerve wreaking and dangerous jobs ,as they are so unpredictable ,I once pulled one down it came down as planed in the right direction but as it fell a large branch snaped as it hit the ground and shot forward about 50ft and through my tractor windscreen , it passed my head missing me by a few inches . The lesson learnt was to have extra long cables that more than exceed the estimated length of the fall .

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    http://www.planfor.co.uk/Donnees_Sit...00_0001494.jpg so we know what we are talking about .

Your question is far to Tech` for me John.
    Pulling down dead trees is one of the most nerve wreaking and dangerous jobs ,as they are so unpredictable ,I once pulled one down it came down as planed in the right direction but as it fell a large branch snaped as it hit the ground and shot forward about 50ft and through my tractor windscreen , it passed my head missing me by a few inches . The lesson learnt was to have extra long cables that more than exceed the estimated length of the fall .
    Hello Skoda

Re the pic, yeah, similar tree, but long dead; trunk, and a few remaining spindly branches. I believe there are numerous variations of closely related cypresses. Agree completely about the long ropes!

JV

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

TIHMB putting cattle to grass.
    Pure dead brilliant.
    You can almost hear the grass growing. At last I say!
    Probably one of the latest turn outs I can remember.

YIMHB starting on cleaning and rebuilding the first of the 4 Cat950B calipers and then having cracked the doorhanging and painting it was refitting handles & hooks then the big clear up!

TIHMB having an easy day jollying round some beautiful countryside with Mrs ff in "her" summer car Started off across the corner of the hampshire downs, (tooted going by Lord Lloyd-Webber's) round the back of Highclere castle (Downton Abbey to the masses) to Combe Gibbet

Cross country through the Vale of Pewsey to Devizes, then up to the A4 at Avebury (nice to see the W Wheat with fert striping there at the waggon & horses, Beckhampton- so its not only us!) then straight on to Marlborough (nodded hello to a dishevelled Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen having parked his RangeRover in the high street), then on to Hungerford, Newbury and back to base. All in all a really great look at crops generally coming alive in 26c of blazing sun only 10 days after frosts, hail, sleet and snow!! Plenty of OSR in flower and reeking a few bare headlands under sitty-trees, most winter crops look well, some spring crops clearly didn't like the cold - quite a few spring bean crops looked a bit slow. Just needs the late budding trees to get some colour and then the next month will have the countryside down here looking its best before it all starts to wane as summer kicks in.

A good day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    YIMHB starting on cleaning and rebuilding the first of the 4 Cat950B calipers and then having cracked the doorhanging and painting it was refitting handles & hooks then the big clear up!

TIHMB having an easy day jollying round some beautiful countryside with Mrs ff in "her" summer car Started off across the corner of the hampshire downs, (tooted going by Lord Lloyd-Webber's) round the back of Highclere castle (Downton Abbey to the masses) to Combe Gibbet

Cross country through the Vale of Pewsey to Devizes, then up to the A4 at Avebury (nice to see the W Wheat with fert striping there at the waggon & horses, Beckhampton- so its not only us!) then straight on to Marlborough (nodded hello to a dishevelled Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen having parked his RangeRover in the high street), then on to Hungerford, Newbury and back to base. All in all a really great look at crops generally coming alive in 26c of blazing sun only 10 days after frosts, hail, sleet and snow!! Plenty of OSR in flower and reeking a few bare headlands under sitty-trees, most winter crops look well, some spring crops clearly didn't like the cold - quite a few spring bean crops looked a bit slow. Just needs the late budding trees to get some colour and then the next month will have the countryside down here looking its best before it all starts to wane as summer kicks in.

A good day out.
    You could have popped in and helped me with the milking

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

TIHBM waiting for the mechanic to come and get my new tractor started. 16 hrs on clock and wouldn't start this morning. Bugger!

Managed to get calipers No3 & 4 overhauled & resealed on the 950B, might get them on tomorrow, replace one of the pedal air valves and then bleed + pressure test before committing to torquing up the mountings & wheels on. Oh, then there's a fault with the lift kickout wiring.....

Also had a bit of a F1 pits wheel change session this morning, 6480 and RB26 off of the wide tyres and onto the rowcrops

And finally most important job, decoke the buildup of carbon on the farmhouse aga- it does about 3 months now the kero has the bio stuff in it- cokes right back up the steel bundy tube feeding the wick holder. used to be once a year! All set ready to go just incase the weekend cold spell it too much

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Managed to get calipers No3 & 4 overhauled & resealed on the 950B, might get them on tomorrow, replace one of the pedal air valves and then bleed + pressure test before committing to torquing up the mountings & wheels on. Oh, then there's a fault with the lift kickout wiring.....

Also had a bit of a F1 pits wheel change session this morning, 6480 and RB26 off of the wide tyres and onto the rowcrops

And finally most important job, decoke the buildup of carbon on the farmhouse aga- it does about 3 months now the kero has the bio stuff in it- cokes right back up the steel bundy tube feeding the wick holder. used to be once a year! All set ready to go just incase the weekend cold spell it too much

That's a relief. Our old Rayburn with the H pattern burner is a bugger lately . Only does 2 months on a change of wicks if you are lucky.
    Used to do 2 changes a winter , now its 4 in 7 months
    After a few weeks any bit of wind and it nearly goes out!!

Putting electric fences up down the side of the hay field so the sheep can graze under the trees that are too low for the tractor to go. The grass is a bit long for the sheep really but dare not put the equines in there as they would jump into the hay.

Trying to figure out how to get 14. 26 month old continental Bullocks onto a lorry tomorrow morning without them wreaking the Farmyard .

Doing some emergency fencing due to another batch of continental Bullocks visiting silage fields next door .

Quote Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
    [/B]That's a relief. Our old Rayburn with the H pattern burner is a bugger lately . Only does 2 months on a change of wicks if you are lucky.
    Used to do 2 changes a winter , now its 4 in 7 months
    After a few weeks any bit of wind and it nearly goes out!!
    So, for today's TIHMB .... are you going to tell us how long you queued to deliver your calves to market?