Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maize/grass and other things

Re: Maize/grass and other things

At 27% DM it is too wet for biogas and near poisonous for cows.

Why are you growing so many varieties which are first rate and other crap beside them??

Augustus, Glory, why bother with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    At 27% DM it is too wet for biogas and near poisonous for cows.

Why are you growing so many varieties which are first rate and other crap beside them??

Augustus, Glory, why bother with anything else.
    We like to try a new variety each year, and Augustus and Glory are this year's trials. Surrezo is an old variety no longer in the descriptive list, but has outyielded other varieties here consistently. Ambition was new to us last year and did very well, but in 2012 and 2013 our best yields were with Kaspian drilled in June after wholecrop and first cut silage taken off. We find that some years the early drilled stuff way outyields everything else but other years it is the later stuff that does well, so try to run a spread of drilling dates and varieties. We also find that different varieties do better on different fields, for example ES Regain was poor on light land but good on our stronger fields.

27 DM is working well for biogas, certainly a lot better than no maize which is the alternative, and 27 DM that has been in the clamp for a month is far better for cows than 30+ DM fresh cut. It is all about good silage stock and clamp management. We will have to wait to harvest the late drilled Kaspian until the clamp made this week is empty! We have clamp space for a good year, not for an exceptional one.

Stephen

Maize starting to be cut in this area, however, I am not convinced any of it is anything like fit yet.

Grass reseeds are storming out of the ground and if anything are looking for a drink. Beware seedling docks and chickweed etc now. Hit them hard early on and you will keep the ley clean for several years.

Lime and P/K applications are now going on, too. Plus the second wave of glyphosate and dursban.

Maize starting to be cut in this area, however, I am not convinced any of it is anything like fit yet.

Grass reseeds are storming out of the ground and if anything are looking for a drink. Beware seedling docks and chickweed etc now. Hit them hard early on and you will keep the ley clean for several years.

Lime and P/K applications are now going on, too. Plus the second wave of glyphosate and dursban.
    Plenty keen enough to be chopping maize I'd say????
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Hi Vern

It is all starting. Still not seen a crop dry enough in the stem to be what I would truly term fit but I guess people want maize to feed the cows.

Crescendo and ES Picker cut at the weekend, all behind long term grass, start down the spout and NO additional nitrogen, average yield fresh was 23t/acre. No Poncho as it was banned of course. Try as I might I could not find a single plant affected by wireworm or slugs. Typical.

Hopefully this picture will give a clear illustration as to the height of the crop.

images hosting

Quote Originally Posted by sjt01 View Post
    We like to try a new variety each year, and Augustus and Glory are this year's trials. Surrezo is an old variety no longer in the descriptive list, but has outyielded other varieties here consistently. Ambition was new to us last year and did very well, but in 2012 and 2013 our best yields were with Kaspian drilled in June after wholecrop and first cut silage taken off. We find that some years the early drilled stuff way outyields everything else but other years it is the later stuff that does well, so try to run a spread of drilling dates and varieties. We also find that different varieties do better on different fields, for example ES Regain was poor on light land but good on our stronger fields.

27 DM is working well for biogas, certainly a lot better than no maize which is the alternative, and 27 DM that has been in the clamp for a month is far better for cows than 30+ DM fresh cut. It is all about good silage stock and clamp management. We will have to wait to harvest the late drilled Kaspian until the clamp made this week is empty! We have clamp space for a good year, not for an exceptional one.

Stephen
    Stephen, saw you were cutting maize today. Looked a good crop-trailers were busy! Any idea of yield?

all ours got cut today and yesterday, the early variety on the poorer rented fields avg 14T/ac (based on in pit calculations at .7t/m^3) our own fields all did well over 20T will measure it tomorrow all chopped down to 12mm, there's going to a fair few whopper crops this year, wonder if anyone's going to hit 30T on posh soil?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilts` View Post
    all ours got cut today and yesterday, the early variety on the poorer rented fields avg 14T/ac (based on in pit calculations at .7t/m^3) our own fields all did well over 20T will measure it tomorrow all chopped down to 12mm, there's going to a fair few whopper crops this year, wonder if anyone's going to hit 30T on posh soil?
    I would think the kinder soils to the East will throw a 30 tonne crop quite readily given the season, someone growing Marco, Dominator or KWS Francisco, the more biogas/bulk types which are really too late for what you or I want in this region, but certainly if anything will do it they will, I have seen very heavy crops of these kinds of hybrids before, on land near the Vitacress farm in Bere Regis, had been heavily fed on sewage sludge though.

Quote Originally Posted by NQIT View Post
    Stephen, saw you were cutting maize today. Looked a good crop-trailers were busy! Any idea of yield?
    17 trailer loads off 10 acres. One trailer takes about 12 t, the other 15t, checked over public weighbridge, gives us about 23 t. That was Surrezo, an older variety which is not so stay-green as our others. It was coming in at just under 33%DM. Harvesting DEFRA trials today, so the clamp will not grow very much. We have at least as much in the clamp as we had in total last year, with less than 2/3 cut so far! We will have quite a tall clamp this year.

Stephen

Rechecked trailer weights today over ADAS portable weighbridge. No DM for the crop today, but likely to be higher than yesterday, but avg weight at I guess 35 DM is 12 tonnes
    Last edited by sjt01; 30-09-14 at 06:03 PM.

So far heaviest crop harvested around here has been on top of a hill near Pennard, 15ft tall and above. From memory it was Glory.

Think I will be growing mostly Severus or Glory next year.

Come on - it's no fun if you don't wait for monsoon rain BEFORE trying to get the maize in.... what is farming coming to hey!

:-)

do you cut maize if its raining ?...or do you have to stop?

Quote Originally Posted by spin cycle View Post
    You will suffer a little in the dry matter percentage, but the main problem with most maize headers is that they do not like the bottom dead leaf when it is wet. A bit of a problem with our Krone, but other machines appear to have the same problem, worse if anything.
    The main thing is not to be dragging mud out onto the road.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by spin cycle View Post
    Think that might depend on how the "season" is going,,, a big team going for it round here, appear to just crack n regardless... But TBF they are fairly hot with keeping the field entrance cleaned up, have a bloke there with a bowser ne telehandler n brush,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Harvest wet maize and it stings your cows asses for the next 9 months. I've said it a billion times. Mud on the road? Too wet to drill wheat? Do what is best for the cows. To hell with everything else.

Harvest wet maize and it stings your cows asses for the next 9 months. I've said it a billion times. Mud on the road? Too wet to drill wheat? Do what is best for the cows. To hell with everything else.
    What about if its going in to an AD plant ?
    Surely it is "better" to have the maize sopping wet.......at 33.00 ton ?

On a more serious note - we have Augustus & Emmerson, The Augustus is an average 9 to 10 feet in height, big stems, a lot of bulky leaf and a very large fully formed cob. The emmerson is not far short of a disaster - struggling to reach 8 ft, wispy weak looking plants with nothing like as much leaf (a lot of rust on the leaves it does have) much smaller cob.
    Both varieties are in the same field - so same soil type (fairly light) and same management. ???

Will certainly be growing Augustus again next year, but with an increased area going in I would like to try another variety as well....Any recommendations for light (ish) soils ?? Having an exceptionally early variety is not a top priority - as most, if not all, of the fields will be going to another spring sown crop after the maize.

Phil, Augustus is a sort of uprated Kentaurus, so its early alright.
    How late are you prepared to go? If its for Troys biogas plant or similar then the cobs become irrelevant, biogas is all about dry matter yield, so you bring in the bigger plants but they are later.

Stuff like Dominator, Marco, Francisco or even Ambrosini which are just way too late for us here if we aim to feed it to cows.

Emmerson did well in our trials, we are looking for an Ixxes/Crescendo replacement where outstanding vigour is the key hence why I am keen on Severus. Can you show me a photo of your Emmerson?

You could try Glory but you'll have to get it booked in early because it will sell out pronto despite its cost.

I'm not sure this year was the best time to try and compare varieties because even the also-rans look good.

If you are on light land and you get good seed beds and they drain then you can put it all in at 42,000 to encourage earlier maturity and sometimes it seems to enhance cob size.

Basically the earlier the variety the more flint breeding it will have so its physical size will be reduced- look at Activate or Kaspian, starch on sticks but not spectacular yield.

We have Cadwell and Venetia for the boys on lighter chalks, always throws a huge crop but again just too late for my patch.

Ring up in December, book your glory and maize start so its on the place early for the spring.

Phil, Augustus is a sort of uprated Kentaurus, so its early alright.
    How late are you prepared to go? If its for Troys biogas plant or similar then the cobs become irrelevant, biogas is all about dry matter yield, so you bring in the bigger plants but they are later.

Stuff like Dominator, Marco, Francisco or even Ambrosini which are just way too late for us here if we aim to feed it to cows.

Emmerson did well in our trials, we are looking for an Ixxes/Crescendo replacement where outstanding vigour is the key hence why I am keen on Severus. Can you show me a photo of your Emmerson?

You could try Glory but you'll have to get it booked in early because it will sell out pronto despite its cost.

I'm not sure this year was the best time to try and compare varieties because even the also-rans look good.

If you are on light land and you get good seed beds and they drain then you can put it all in at 42,000 to encourage earlier maturity and sometimes it seems to enhance cob size.

Basically the earlier the variety the more flint breeding it will have so its physical size will be reduced- look at Activate or Kaspian, starch on sticks but not spectacular yield.

We have Cadwell and Venetia for the boys on lighter chalks, always throws a huge crop but again just too late for my patch.

Ring up in December, book your glory and maize start so its on the place early for the spring.
    I will try & get some photo's.......but we drilled the Augustus first, so we have one field of all Augustus and then the other field is Augustus around the headlands with the Emmerson in the middle.

Interesting you mention Ixxes...this is the variety we were growing here, it produced some very tall bulky crops but the cobs were small & it was late to harvest.
    Very tempted top go back to Ixxes now that cob size & an early harvest are not a high priority ! Is Ixxes still available ?
    Cadwell & Venetia sound like they may be worth trying.

Hi Phil, I am a bit alarmed that somehow you are able to access our entire maize portfolio, is Mr Parr dealing with my maize buyer direct or something?!

I have grown Ixxes a lot, even this year it has done wonders. Always does. I would not say it is late and I would not say it was small cobbed- in fact is generally known as starch on a stick. Ixxes and Crescendo are about a maturity rating of 8 so not late by any means. Are you using our maize start as well? A lack of something would be a recipe for small cobs for sure.

Unfortunately Ixxes I am told will not be available next year, as the breeders aren't bothering to grow the seed any longer? Hasn't been on the NIAB list for donkeys as they would not pay for it to be trialled.

Severus is the real kiddie for me in this area. Its the vigour we want here.

I have nothing against the grainseed varieties and have grown a bit of Picker, Coastguard etc around the place. They are ok but they don't get asked for again and again.

Although our collection of varieties seems weird it is because we have trialled and grown them for years so we know we are selling something of known performance- remember we get to see and try new varieties 3 years before they see the commercial market.

Dunno who your local chap would be, I guess Hairy Harris would come down as far as you.