Thread: 3 weeks overdue

3 weeks overdue

Had an old [ 16] cow that was only served once, 8th sept. She had missed a year and I put the date in my phone so I know its right. Put the bull back to my neighbour and put her up the hill straight after. So 3 weeks past her due date I had to help her with a huge calve that was stuck and no way was she going to push it out that big. It was dark and out in the field so just presumed it was a bull calve. Any way it turns out to be a heifer when I checked it this morning, well pleased as its the last calve of an old cow that has had 13 calves and not retained any heifers and this one a sim/ luing Ill see if I can put a picture on
    the heifer in the picture is also a sim luing and shes been AI d to the bazadazie due in feb, my nieghbour used the baz and got lovely small calves that grew and had the musclelling and out of mothers that werent anything special so Im hopeful for using them on sim luing and luing heifers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crofteress; 03-07-14 at 09:34 AM.

Re: 3 weeks overdue

I sold my friend a DexterXHighland heifer 18 years ago. She's due to calve to a smallish Lim [not the first time] in Aug aged 19 now Probably will be her last whatever happens. Now that is an old cow!

Very interesting. Do you find the baz. calves are born lively, like the publicity says? (Or is this the first time you're trying them?)

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Very interesting. Do you find the baz. calves are born lively, like the publicity says? (Or is this the first time you're trying them?)
    I've had Bazadaise for around 7 years and find them easy calving, quick on to their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    My neighbours calve in the field next to mine and I have seen them calving baz for 3 years in the worst of weather and I cant get over these tiny calves that just get up and run about and suck in terrible weather. Even the retained cross heifers he has kept seem to be easy calving to other bulls and yet they are small, and the calves they have with sim bull are still so lively at birth. So thats why Im doing a few to get easy first calvings
    19 is a great age, maybe I should put the old cow to a baz and let her have an easy time instead of just writing her off now

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    I've had Bazadaise for around 7 years and find them easy calving, quick on to their feet.
    What's their temperament like?

the ones my neighbour has are really quiet and easy, the only thing is they winter out and not really suited to it lost too much weight, but they are still hardy enough, certainly a lot quieter than the lim crosses

Quote Originally Posted by crofteress View Post
    the ones my neighbour has are really quiet and easy, the only thing is they winter out and not really suited to it lost too much weight, but they are still hardy enough, certainly a lot quieter than the lim crosses
    Choochter on here out winters bazadaise!

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    Choochter on here out winters bazadaise!
    might not have been their fault they got poor here....

edited to add that my old cow is 16 not 13 so says a lot for the luing breed never needed her feet done, only missed one year and great udder and teats for an old cow

Quote Originally Posted by crofteress View Post
    edited to add that my old cow is 16 not 13 so says a lot for the luing breed never needed her feet done, only missed one year and great udder and teats for an old cow
    Good going that.... similar to 'Foxy'. She 'nearly' went a few years back when they got the Lim, but then it was decided to take a risk and has definitely been worth it. Lives out, with shelter and is still undisputed boss!

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Good going that.... similar to 'Foxy'. She 'nearly' went a few years back when they got the Lim, but then it was decided to take a risk and has definitely been worth it. Lives out, with shelter, on the Outer Isles and is still undisputed boss!
    Great old grannies