Thread: 150hp loader tractor?

150hp loader tractor?

Looking to buy a new fore end loader tractor and I am wondering which you guys would reccomend, its largley between massey ferguson, or john deere. Mostly for field work as we have a telehandler, but in time like this snow the merlo gets stuck everywhere. Also What would be a respectable trade in price for a mf 4370 with just over 400 hours on the clock?
    any help is much appreciated,

Re: 150hp loader tractor?

I have a loader on our 6480. It's a good setup, being able to set start off gears for forward and reverse great. Only advice I would give is go for Mf 965 or q65 quickie, I have a 975 and it's Abit too big and clumsy at times. Will stack hesstons 5 high though. Great setup for hauling bales, seed etc with 50 km box. Tractor can haul 16t of seed/fert to field, load drill, and tear up headlands.

4000 hours? Depends on spec, tyres and condition. Anything from 14000 to 21,000 in my opinion.

Watch out for the strongest front axle that the brand supplies. My 8360 NH has the big axle where a TM140 has a lighter one. A Mf 6475 has a lighter front axle than the 6480 and I'm sure JD vary similarly.

400 hrs?

we have valtra n141 find it a good loader tractor but just had the direct on demo cant seem just get use to it and was thinking at looking at a deutz Fahr 6 Series Agrotron any opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    4000 hours? Depends on spec, tyres and condition. Anything from 14000 to 21,000 in my opinion.

Watch out for the strongest front axle that the brand supplies. My 8360 NH has the big axle where a TM140 has a lighter one. A Mf 6475 has a lighter front axle than the 6480 and I'm sure JD vary similarly.
    Thanks thats a helpful bit of info. no only 400 hours on the clock, we have always had a front end loader that did all the work and the 4370 was only for blowing straw into the cows, then we got rid of the cows. So its only been used for a bit of topping and hedge cutting.

If it has air-con, is 40kph and otherwise a top spec tractor, it could be worth up to a genuine 23,000 imho. No less than 21,000 unless there is some problem or lots of cosmetic remedial action needed.

Sounds a lot for that age of tractor but it is a good seller and there aren't many about with genuine low hours. It will suit those with a phobia about electronics down to the ground.

You could put a loader on the 4370 of course. The hydraulics are ideal but perhaps you want more power.
    The Duck 2015

If it has air-con, is 40kph and otherwise a top spec tractor, it could be worth up to a genuine 23,000 imho. No less than 21,000 unless there is some problem or lots of cosmetic remedial action needed.

Sounds a lot for that age of tractor but it is a good seller and there aren't many about with genuine low hours. It will suit those with a phobia about electronics down to the ground.

You could put a loader on the 4370 of course. The hydraulics are ideal but perhaps you want more power.

Brilliant, thanks. Well we had a 4255 with a loader and it was always struggaling and lifting its back wheels, even with just a round silage bale so we want something with more power and more weight so its more stable. And I'm not a huge fan of the gearbox in the 4370. Only driven a dyna 6 before and not a dyna vt, which would be the best for loader work?

I would go for a 6470. Ok it's not quite 150hp but it does punch well above its weight and being a 4 pot would be very handy on the loader.

Quote Originally Posted by YardofTruth View Post
    I would go for a 6470. Ok it's not quite 150hp but it does punch well above its weight and being a 4 pot would be very handy on the loader.
    +1

More grunt than a hippo on baked beans
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Brilliant, thanks. Well we had a 4255 with a loader and it was always struggaling and lifting its back wheels, even with just a round silage bale so we want something with more power and more weight so its more stable. And I'm not a huge fan of the gearbox in the 4370. Only driven a dyna 6 before and not a dyna vt, which would be the best for loader work?

Either would be fine on a loader. Main thing is to make sure that the 64** comes fitted with ccls high flow hydraulics. Not all do and there are quite a few with 60lpm hydraulics out there. You can tell with a fair degree of certainty by the type of spool valves fitted. Ones with Bosch spools will have a high flow rate.

As you may know, I have a dynaVT which is sometimes used on a loader. It is great. But in all honesty and purely from the loader work point of view it has no advantage over a good semi-powershift with electro-hydraulic shuttle. The big advantage with DynaVT is that it almost certainly is fitted with the little joystick in the armrest which works electric spools. This works superbly well, especially on later tractors with factory fitted loaders where the loader functions can be programmed on the dash. Also avilable on 64 tractors.

The 6470 can make a superb loader tractor with plenty of strength and grunt for all farm work. There are some very high spec ones out there that are, frankly, full of 'wow-factor'.
    Don't buy a low spec one with open centre hydraulics for loader work. The loaders suitable for these deserve more oil. Always make sure that the loader has suspension as well as the cab. Front axle suspension is a bit unnecessary with a suspended loader unless the tractor will spend a lot of time with boom removed.
    The Duck 2015

Does the 8360 have a good enough oil flow in your opionion for loader work. Good point about front axles. One would think a tm140 was similar to a 8360.

I gotta say on a low hour 4370 you're gonna take a beating on trade-in. Which transmission in it/how bad do you find it? If you're only using it for loader work infrequently a used Quicke 960 or whatever loader and brackets is pretty cheap backup to a telehandler. The longer wheelbase of the 6 in the 4370's vs the 4 cyl models make heavy work much less unsteady. Some cast centre rear rims would help too if you don't want to have a weight block.

I've run some silage bales on my 5455 and NH7740 and both are better than a 4255 but the longer machines like your MF or an NH8160 really helps even though they don't weigh that much more. Don't stick the extended reach loaders on though! They stack nice and high but really unweight the rear axle.

Quote Originally Posted by slowzuki View Post
    I gotta say on a low hour 4370 you're gonna take a beating on trade-in. Which transmission in it/how bad do you find it? If you're only using it for loader work infrequently a used Quicke 960 or whatever loader and brackets is pretty cheap backup to a telehandler. The longer wheelbase of the 6 in the 4370's vs the 4 cyl models make heavy work much less unsteady. Some cast centre rear rims would help too if you don't want to have a weight block.

I've run some silage bales on my 5455 and NH7740 and both are better than a 4255 but the longer machines like your MF or an NH8160 really helps even though they don't weigh that much more. Don't stick the extended reach loaders on though! They stack nice and high but really unweight the rear axle.
    Its a 24/24 powershuttle, so you end up doing a fair bit of clunking around. To be really honest its not that bad, just I would prefer something a little easier and if its gonna save me a truck load of money to just put a loader on it I think I could live with it. But if i could get a bit of a steal with a trade-in on a bigger tractor I wouldn't pass it up.

Does it need to be new?

You'd pick up a good used 10 year old dynashift 6290 for 15k, add a loader and you're 22k. Question is what your dealer will give for yours....

Quote Originally Posted by kildare View Post
    Does the 8360 have a good enough oil flow in your opionion for loader work. Good point about front axles. One would think a tm140 was similar to a 8360.
    It has somewhere around 80 litres a minute from its ccls pump if I remember correctly. Mine is fitted with a fairly big loader and it is fast enough that nobody has ever complained that it is slow. The MF moves it slightly faster right enough, but fast enough is fast enough if you see what I mean. 60 lpm would probably get complaints on a big loader like this one.

The 4370 is OK for light loader work but even with a top-tensioned backbone it will not be the strongest of its size. Good point about the loader on this tractor, as it still only basically has the arse end of a 165, not much more. It is great for many jobs, being a six cylinder pocket-rocket, but working with a big loader needs a big strong tractor like a 6290 or 6480 or TM155/8360/8560

Its a 24/24 powershuttle, so you end up doing a fair bit of clunking around. To be really honest its not that bad, just I would prefer something a little easier and if its gonna save me a truck load of money to just put a loader on it I think I could live with it. But if i could get a bit of a steal with a trade-in on a bigger tractor I wouldn't pass it up.
    You will get top whack for the 4370 if it is a beaut, no doubt about it. But don't expect to pay nothing when exchanging for a 3000 hour 6480 or something. The dealer isn't a charity and they must make some margin on the transaction somewhere and somehow in order to pay their bills.

A 6290 for 15k will be a shed of a thing.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by kildare View Post
    Get one with a Terraglide front axle. All suspended axles are class iv. (155 spec)

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    Does it need to be new?

You'd pick up a good used 10 year old dynashift 6290 for 15k, add a loader and you're 22k. Question is what your dealer will give for yours....

Where? I fancy a 6290 to go on straw blower. Don t put a loader on a 6290! They should be preserved.

Looking to buy a new fore end loader tractor and I am wondering which you guys would reccomend, its largley between massey ferguson, or john deere. Mostly for field work as we have a telehandler, but in time like this snow the merlo gets stuck everywhere. Also What would be a respectable trade in price for a mf 4370 with just over 400 hours on the clock?
    any help is much appreciated,
    I have been thinking of a new loader too. What brand are you going for. I fancy the mx 12 with the oil controls and hyd q hitch. Not cheap though,would go a good bit on a s/h tele handler

A 6290 for 15k will be a shed of a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Where? I fancy a 6290 to go on straw blower. Don t put a loader on a 6290! They should be preserved.

Looks like the Duck's right! I bought a '99 plate 5 or so years back for 17k so assumed they might have dropped a little. With less than 4000hrs on the clock it now looks like it should be worth a few thousand more based on what else is around.

I guess I kinda took it would be just handling light loader work not replacing the handler. A 4370 should survive a lifetime of shuttling sileage bales, I do agree though, that 24x24 isn't my favourite transmission although I've only briefly used one with a dry clutch / mech shuttle.

Find a similar unit for sale like your 4370, take off 15-25% then subtract that from the price of the model you're looking at and you'll arrive at our local pricing. Here they want to keep their margin on the in stock unit and keep a margin on your unit too. I'm not familiar with the market there but right now due to the financing the last couple of years there is a glut of ~10 year old 80-140 hp loader tractors with 2000-6000 hours on them sitting at dealers all over around here. If you aren't trading you can buy these things near what the dealer paid as trade in as the dealers lots are clogged with them. Very few are top-spec machines though.

The 4370 is OK for light loader work but even with a top-tensioned backbone it will not be the strongest of its size. Good point about the loader on this tractor, as it still only basically has the arse end of a 165, not much more. It is great for many jobs, being a six cylinder pocket-rocket, but working with a big loader needs a big strong tractor like a 6290 or 6480 or TM155/8360/8560

I guess I kinda took it would be just handling light loader work not replacing the handler. A 4370 should survive a lifetime of shuttling sileage bales, I do agree though, that 24x24 isn't my favourite transmission although I've only briefly used one with a dry clutch / mech shuttle.

Find a similar unit for sale like your 4370, take off 15-25% then subtract that from the price of the model you're looking at and you'll arrive at our local pricing. Here they want to keep their margin on the in stock unit and keep a margin on your unit too. I'm not familiar with the market there but right now due to the financing the last couple of years there is a glut of ~10 year old 80-140 hp loader tractors with 2000-6000 hours on them sitting at dealers all over around here. If you aren't trading you can buy these things near what the dealer paid as trade in as the dealers lots are clogged with them. Very few are top-spec machines though.
    It wouldnt be replacing the telehandler, just a back up really. I would like something with a bit more grunt and weight, just bought a hedge cutter for the 4370 and its a fair weight on the back and when your on the side of a hill a fresh pair of trousers wouldnt be refused.

what is the dyna vt like compared to the likes in a jd6930?