Thread: Disc or Drum mower

Disc or Drum mower

Hi looking for a bit of advice. Looking at what is the pros and cons of each of the mowers. Been using drums up to now but looking to increase working width. Working with 80 - 100hp tractors. Thanks.

Re: Disc or Drum mower

Go for a disc mower we used to have a mf70 drum mower and now have a kv 2.8m disc mower with no conditioner what a difference in cutting makes a far better job

Quote Originally Posted by Rs chunk View Post
    Go for a disc mower we used to have a mf70 drum mower and now have a kv 2.8m disc mower with no conditioner what a difference in cutting makes a far better job
    really ? cos its generality accepted drum mowers make a cleaner job of cutting .
    i would go with either as long as it has a conditioner on it . not that ive ever seen a drum mower with a conditioner on it

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    really ? cos its generality accepted drum mowers make a cleaner job of cutting .
    i would go with either as long as it has a conditioner on it . not that ive ever seen a drum mower with a conditioner on it
    JF done one that I know of for sure, 3pl too. CMT185 possibly the model IIRC. Heavy beast.

Our drum one was bad for running over lying grass instead of getting under it the disc mower cuts far cleaner. It's maybe a 2.4 we have like most others things some prefer 1 type than others

We actually have a red deutz-fahr conditioner mower.
    Attached Images Attached Images

to use 100hp effectively it has to be disc
    the wider the better
    100 should handle up to 3 meter
    I used to be 5'6 but the mower eventually gave up
    it was torture to cut big acreage
    1 gear down from top at full revs all day
    now I have a 2.6 meter disc
    easier to mow with
    and can really get over ground
    less blade changing and a ram to put the mower in work
    Last edited by leashed; 13-09-14 at 01:06 PM.

I have a Hesston 1340 disc mower conditioner. It has a 12 ft cut. I have pulled it with my 2-105 White and my TS110 New Holland. It will go through downed grass and cut nearly at ground level. Main problem I have is getting it to leave a proper amount of stubble. Some Horse owners over here think the suction of the disc blades pulls up a lot of dust. I have hit coyote dens or their excavations when searching for rats, etc. It really stirs up the dust and it stays with the windrow for a while. I don't know if you guys have coyotes over there, but here they can really ruin a hay meadow.

The Hesston 1340 gave me a lot of trouble until I repaired the metal plate the transitions between the crimp rolls and the forming wings. After making one ( $534 US to buy) It works great. I can cut at 6 mph if the ground is level. On level ground have cut as much as 12 acres per hour of prairie grass about 14 inches tall...

Used to have a JF drum mower 12yrs ago or some, triple drums and conditioner. Good mower apart from the guards were really tinny. But moved to disc with conditioner, and now on just disc mowers, and I wouldn't go back. Mainly because it doesn't strip all the leaves off the red clover and Lucerne, doesn't seem to make much difference in wilting time on a tested DM basis but it looks like it dries slower because it doesn't go black so quickly as its not between to a pulp. Reckon we've seen about 1.5% increase in protein in our silage from getting more leaf.

Well when I said have what I actually forgot to say was it's been in the hedge for 5 season basically it has critical wear and tear that would cost more to repair than to buy a new mower (to us). For the past 5 seasons we've been using an old belt driven krone conditioner disk mower that only cost us 300 (old contractors mower), it is a bit worn in the joints but it is the most reliable machine we've bought (only cost us a oil top up each year, 1 seal/1 pto guard when we bought it , a grease cartridge or two a year and a set of blades since we bought it "came with a set of new spare ones as part of the deal")

Hi thanks for replies. Are the disc mower cutter bars fairly robust? Will they take much to be damaged? Haven't used one so hence the silly questions.

If possible damage is a concern on your land I'd probably go for a plain mower. They are much lighter without a conditioner and better able to ride over obstacles without damage.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    If possible damage is a concern on your land I'd probably go for a plain mower. They are much lighter without a conditioner and better able to ride over obstacles without damage.

And probably not too wide either.

[IMG][/IMG] This is the same as our mower great machine nice and light easy to use

Quote Originally Posted by Rs chunk View Post
    [IMG][/IMG] This is the same as our mower great machine nice and light easy to use
    nice rs turbo i remember a boy round our way used to have one just like it back in the day , it was white and a c reg as well

Found a action shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dexta man View Post
    We actually have a red deutz-fahr conditioner mower.
    Thing with drum mowers is, you can't get them with full-width conditioners. If your cutting big crops of hay, and the like, the conditioner needs to be full-width or you will be tearing your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    tearing your hair out.
    what???
    you use to cut your hair s well??

gives a new meaning to a close shave

Took nerves of steel when we used to have it on the old Leyland with jumping hydraulics