Thread: Cheese

Cheese

Heard on the Radio today that eating cheese is somehow being linked to prevention of Type 2 Diabetes....

Re: Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    Heard on the Radio today that eating cheese is somehow being linked to prevention of Type 2 Diabetes....
    I eat LOADS of it!! Great news!! They should prescribe it on the NHS, after all prevetion is better than cure, 500g of cheese per person per day for every man, woman and child in the UK! Stuff Russia and Vladimir's sanctions, we'll eat all our own cheese!!

More cheese Gromit

mmmmm lovely bit o strong cheddar, colliery choice, or pilgrims or summat, if you wanna push the boat out, google Archie Montgomery Somerset cheddar, buy a whole truckle, pricey but worth it,

cheese mmmmmmmmmm not to be eaten after 2000 hrs tho,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

I am a wenslydale fan myself.

Nothing like a good bit of Mull of Kintyre extra mature great taste

Apparently eating 8 portions dairy saturated fats a day makes you 20% less likely to develop diabetes. According to research done on 60000 people in Sweden

What you mean my gran who lived to 94, drank full fat milk, cheese, cream and butter wasn't just lucky then???? You mean eating a bit of everything doesn't actually do you any harm.......

I've always thought that this whole fashionable Dairy Intolerance is total rubbish, just being used as a discrete forced dieting habit by most who claim it.... Probably doing them all more harm than good!!

I too have always just eaten whatever I want, stay active and seem to be doing OK....

I guess the point is, why is this sort of thing not marketed better, give the industry a positive push....

I guess the point is, why is this sort of thing not marketed better, give the industry a positive push....
    Because you are up against the perceived truth which has been promoted by huge industrial concerns such as Unilever flogging margarine and all manner of other s****e for years.
    companies like these every year invite friendly journalists to "conferences" in places such as Bali and the Cayman Islands with first class travel 5 star hotels to inform them of the benefits of their questionable delicacies.
    That is how to get your message out in the media, journalists are rarely interested in the truth , just the freebies.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    What you mean my gran who lived to 94, drank full fat milk, cheese, cream and butter wasn't just lucky then???? You mean eating a bit of everything doesn't actually do you any harm.......
    You can't run an engine with no oil n grease,,,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

I love cheese,but cut down in recent years to almost none to reduce cholesterol levels.Gave up cream completely,(which by the way is the ONLY thing to be added to a fresh fruit salad),never eat ice cream,gave up butter,eat fish when I'm out to dinner,take salad instead of chips,unless on holiday.Got the levels down a bit,but I'm going to die of diabetes now instead of a heart attack?

Know which I would choose
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

I've always thought that this whole fashionable Dairy Intolerance is total rubbish, just being used as a discrete forced dieting habit by most who claim it.... Probably doing them all more harm than good!!

I too have always just eaten whatever I want, stay active and seem to be doing OK....
    Our wee fella is 8 now, but as a wein he was lactose intollerant, even from infant formula milk so we had to put him on soya milk (powder) which was stinkin stuff, but sorted him out, he now eats yogurt, cheese, butter, cream, ice-cream and drinks the full-fat milk straight out of the bulk tank neither pasturised nor homoginated!! He wears size 9-10 clothes 'cos he's so tall, one of the youngest in his class but as tall as kids almost a year older!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballygreenan View Post
    Our wee fella is 8 now, but as a wein he was lactose intollerant, even from infant formula milk so we had to put him on soya milk (powder) which was stinkin stuff, but sorted him out, he now eats yogurt, cheese, butter, cream, ice-cream and drinks the full-fat milk straight out of the bulk tank neither pasturised nor homoginated!! He wears size 9-10 clothes 'cos he's so tall, one of the youngest in his class but as tall as kids almost a year older!
    I know several people who have had short term intolerance - my assumption is in these cases (older people) that either they ate something else that then let the dairy produce have ill effect, or have some sort of bug/virus, or have just self diagnosed intolerance after reading their symptoms off a web page!

Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are times when removing dairy produce from your diet is appropriate, but I don't believe its generally the cause of the problem!

Lactose intollerance can be a genetic thing. A lot of African and Asian people do not have the ability to digest lactose past weaning. This is most likely due to it not being part of the diet for centuries so the ability is lost in the population. If you have lived with a lactose intollerant baby then you will know that the symptoms are not self induced, foul dirty nappies and a screaming baby with tummy ache. I had the "privelage" of looking after one while the mother got some sleep and went through 22 nappies in 5 hours.

mmmm... good news then for me! I loves a bit of creamy Lancashire cheese on a sarnie,..with a dollop of chutney and cherry tomatoes on there too!

Love Cheese on toast with Worcestershire on there,..love cheesy parsnip and potato mash..

Gettting flippin' hungry now! LOL

Mature Cheddar or Afterburner for me. Crackers, butter and some nice pickles. Plus 12 gallons of red wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles1 View Post
    I love cheese,but cut down in recent years to almost none to reduce cholesterol levels.Gave up cream completely,(which by the way is the ONLY thing to be added to a fresh fruit salad),never eat ice cream,gave up butter,eat fish when I'm out to dinner,take salad instead of chips,unless on holiday.Got the levels down a bit,but I'm going to die of diabetes now instead of a heart attack?
    I have seen studies that suggest that your cholesterol levels are determined by your genetic makeup, nothing to do with what you eat!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseycowsman View Post
    I have seen studies that suggest that your cholesterol levels are determined by your genetic makeup, nothing to do with what you eat!
    Makes sense to me that it would be a combination of your genetic makup AND what you eat!

One of my Mum's old uncles (now departed - of old age) came out with the following statement around the time of Edwina Curry's 'egg crisis'

"It seems to me that whatever we eat it's going to kill us, but if you don't eat you'll surely die. We all are going to die some day anyway, so we may as well eat what we want and live with the fact that we're going to die."