Thread: JF Forager

JF Forager

How big a JF forager do you need to clear 1500+acres heavy crops in a season?

Re: JF Forager

You'll want the biggest and in my recent experience you'll want two so you can repair one while waiting for the other to break!

We had jf900 for 17yrs and was great, had 1060 for 1yr and it nearly drive me over the edge!

we now run SPF, guessing you want to go away from one? Forage wagon an option?

Got a claas 682s at the moment,jst like the idea of having a tractor to use the rest of the year!I have seen a few 1060s 1 year old advertised are they still not strong enough?

Quote Originally Posted by jcb4star View Post
    Got a claas 682s at the moment,jst like the idea of having a tractor to use the rest of the year!I have seen a few 1060s 1 year old advertised are they still not strong enough?
    We were sticking 190-200hp through front and it couldn't handle it. The reversing/drive train was same as on the 900 designed for 120hp. The reversing system kept falling to bits, record was 6acres from repair to pieces. Apparently they have beefed it up since, but speaking to a fitter from dealership a customer who had the newer version this summer was still struggling.

my other gripe was they changed the blade angle from 15degree's to 10degree's, but it made the machine drive so much harder considering it was the same size drum. Was to get more blow for the longer spout and stop wear on one side of the spout which I can't see it warranted so it was really just for more blow it my eye's.

having gone to 2nd hand SPF I wouldn't go back, but the higher cost of repairs does hurt but the extra capacity and ease of use help to warrant it. Personally if I went back to trailed I'd look at the mex6, I think but I'd be hard pushed to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    We were sticking 190-200hp through front and it couldn't handle it. The reversing/drive train was same as on the 900 designed for 120hp. The reversing system kept falling to bits, record was 6acres from repair to pieces. Apparently they have beefed it up since, but speaking to a fitter from dealership a customer who had the newer version this summer was still struggling. my other gripe was they changed the blade angle from 15degree's to 10degree's, but it made the machine drive so much harder considering it was the same size drum. Was to get more blow for the longer spout and stop wear on one side of the spout which I can't see it warranted so it was really just for more blow it my eye's. having gone to 2nd hand SPF I wouldn't go back, but the higher cost of repairs does hurt but the extra capacity and ease of use help to warrant it. Personally if I went back to trailed I'd look at the mex6, I think but I'd be hard pushed to go back.
    I bought a trailed new holland 892 this year which can fairly chomp the grass with 180hp on it. trailed combines should be re introduced to cut costs too.

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    The reversing system kept falling to bits
    Yes, our contractor had one out on demo last year and that was the reason he had to park it up after a couple of hours and go back to the Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Yes, our contractor had one out on demo last year and that was the reason he had to park it up after a couple of hours and go back to the Storm.
    JF has always been known to been made of paper, perfect for a farmer or small contractor not doing mad acres who isn't under saver pressure. But id think to get through serious acres without going down the SP route you would need a 1350/55/60 or the likes of a lely storm or if you could find a good TenX

Quote Originally Posted by Tullyvernon View Post
    JF has always been known to been made of paper, perfect for a farmer or small contractor not doing mad acres who isn't under saver pressure. But id think to get through serious acres without going down the SP route you would need a 1350/55/60 or the likes of a lely storm or if you could find a good TenX
    a good 1050 can still boogie

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    a good 1050 can still boogie
    No doubt, but at the end of they day its just a beefed up 900.

Trying to tackle 1500 acres in 30' rows of heavy grass id be looking for more

How have people fared with trailed choppers in the light of the monster first cut we have had?

A trailed chopper will lift anything if you make the swath right to suit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullyvernon View Post
    No doubt, but at the end of they day its just a beefed up 900.

Trying to tackle 1500 acres in 30' rows of heavy grass id be looking for more
    a journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step but i take your point

Neighbour had a 900 for years, it did well, but he had 140'hp. Then he went and got a silly big beggar of a jd. Well over 250hp. So he got a new Jf 1300 or something to that effect. He only ever got a few yards before the clutch went, then other stuff too, so he handed it back. Then he picked up a second hand ten x and horsed it for a good few years with little breakdowns before it eventually went to heaven in a shower of sparks. Next was a wagon which he still has. It's one of the reasons we got one. If it can stick what our neighbour gives it, it'll be ok with us. Covered the guts of 800acres this season. Our lad that drives it calls himself the one man army!
    Last edited by DairyFarmer111; 26-09-14 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    a journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step but I take your point
    Good point, if the weather is on your side you could clear 1500 with a 339 double chop, just depends how long you have to do it.