Thread: Jourdain self locking yolks

Jourdain self locking yolks

Looking to put in some Jourdain self locking yolks. I see there are several suppliers in the UK, which is the cheapest?

Re: Jourdain self locking yolks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowcrazy View Post
    Looking to put in some Jourdain self locking yolks. I see there are several suppliers in the UK, which is the cheapest?
    Teemore Engineering in N Ireland are always keen.

Great yokes, quiet in operation but we have noticed that cows are getting abrasions on their shoulders caused by a bolt head when they are using the yokes over a week or so. As they come fully put together, we were wondering if we had installed them the wrong way round or if its because we have Jerseys or if it is because they don't often use the yokes as mostly they feed at a rail so their shoulders are a bit "soft"?

Re: Jourdain self locking yolks

We use them in our serving shed for serving maiden heifers, great yokes, quiet and reliable. We had the same abrasion problem as above, I originally fitted them tilted forward by 4" at top as that is supposed to be the most comfortable. But since taken spacers out and they are vertical and I think the abrasions are considerably less. They can only feed through the yokes, and are locked in once a day for chalking and serving.

Did consider them in new cubicle shed, but cost and reluctance of the very odd heifer (5 a year out of 90served in shed) to use them put me off and stay with standard feed rail for the milking cows!!