Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Renting field to horse owners

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Renting field to horse owners

    If you a 7 acre field with a basic shelter / stable and running water, how much would you expect to rent it for p/month? Horse owners seem to pay crazy money and I can't quite believe it. I know the field will be knackered once they are gone.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    475

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    how many horses do they plan on putting on it? 100-150 a month per head if they're staying for 12 months? planning issues will arise and are they going to be there 12 months, power?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    No power to it but has mains water. Not sure how many horses it would hold. 2 or 3 I suppose to stop it getting wrecked. People round here are constantly buying fields for their horses and I can't recall one application for change of use or any enforcement action because of it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Perthshire
    Posts
    153

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Grazing a horse on a field is just the same as grazing anything else. Planning only really becomes an issue when you start using the premises as a riding facility with jumps, arenas, specialist stabling and so on. However there is a big grey area in between, with one extreme council (Hampshire, I think) trying to insist you mustn't even feed the horse hay in winter (as then the horse isn't using the field for grazing) although you would feed cattle and sheep in exactly the same circumstances.

    Can't give you any idea of prices as it is such a local thing and also depends on what you are offering exactly. Is it grazing per horse (in which case the owners start to fall out) or the field rented out as a whole to one owner with several horses with all responsibility placed on them? (Horse owners yearn for this, but it may not bring in as much money).

    You might also like to split the field to give a winter turnout area and preserve some of the grazing, or maybe have sheep or a couple of bullocks to tidy up after the horses, keeping things in your own hand a bit..

    Lots of ways of doing it, but with horses you are primarily farming people; can you cope with this?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    If it was my field I would not want to rent it to said horsey people. In my past experience with horsey types there's quite often hassle of one sort or another. I was a great day when I got rid of the last of my horsey people.

    If you can stand them a need the bit extra cash then go for it , they can't all be the same one would hope .

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    611

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    If it was my field I would not want to rent it to said horsey people. In my past experience with horsey types there's quite often hassle of one sort or another. I was a great day when I got rid of the last of my horsey people.

    If you can stand them a need the bit extra cash then go for it , they can't all be the same one would hope .
    Yes, there is always hope….

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Paddock and stable would be £25/hd per week down here, collected by direct debit or standing order to avoid any problems with payment.

    A collection of 'mobile' field shelters circumvents any planning problems, and in any respect, a horse is still classified as an agricultural animal as I understand it. Had the locals try that trick when my mother started keeping horses. Can keep a load of sheep or cattle on the place as well if needs be.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    somerset now working in the real world
    Posts
    929

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    If you a 7 acre field with a basic shelter / stable and running water, how much would you expect to rent it for p/month? Horse owners seem to pay crazy money and I can't quite believe it. I know the field will be knackered once they are gone.
    If it was no good for "farming" id sell said 7ac field to horsey folk, they are crazy on these parts, paying 14-15-16k an AC for land which quiet frankly wouldn't grow a goat let alone be flat enough to do owt sensible with,,, madness.... Get it sold and the cash spent,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    If it was no good for "farming" id sell said 7ac field to horsey folk, they are crazy on these parts, paying 14-15-16k an AC for land which quiet frankly wouldn't grow a goat let alone be flat enough to do owt sensible with,,, madness.... Get it sold and the cash spent,,
    Not that simple. This is a special place which I don't want to let out of the family. A spare part of it was sold in excess of the prices you mention, now with horses on it. I need to make some money of the rest of it though but I want to keep it. It's worth more to me, at least, than the money.

    Thanks for for all the other comments. I'm happy to have a go at farming people for that kind of return.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Perthshire
    Posts
    153

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    a horse is still classified as an agricultural animal as I understand it.
    In Britain a horse is not classed as an agricultural animal unless it is being used for agricultural work. (Different on the continent). You will still get clobbered with all the agricultural rules, though, which attach to the land rather than the animal; and also one or two (like passports and medication records) which are deemed necessary in case you want to eat the horse - which is a bit odd since a.) the horse isn't deemed agricultural and b.) when we do eat horses no-one knows where they came from or how they got into the beefburgers. However you are entitled to graze horses, agricultural or not, in the same way that you are entitled to produce and sell hay without anyone questioning whether agricultural animals are going to eat it; so the grass and the hay remain agricultural; but not the horses. There you go - clear as mud!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    In Britain a horse is not classed as an agricultural animal unless it is being used for agricultural work. (Different on the continent). You will still get clobbered with all the agricultural rules, though, which attach to the land rather than the animal; and also one or two (like passports and medication records) which are deemed necessary in case you want to eat the horse - which is a bit odd since a.) the horse isn't deemed agricultural and b.) when we do eat horses no-one knows where they came from or how they got into the beefburgers. However you are entitled to graze horses, agricultural or not, in the same way that you are entitled to produce and sell hay without anyone questioning whether agricultural animals are going to eat it; so the grass and the hay remain agricultural; but not the horses. There you go - clear as mud!
    So just crack on until someone kicks up then. Considering where it is, only someone in a helicopter would see them.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Not that simple. This is a special place which I don't want to let out of the family. A spare part of it was sold in excess of the prices you mention, now with horses on it. I need to make some money of the rest of it though but I want to keep it. It's worth more to me, at least, than the money.

    Thanks for for all the other comments. I'm happy to have a go at farming people for that kind of return.
    If the land means that much to you then dont put horses as ,as you say they will ruin it .
    Plan B - build some sheep pens which would be cheaper than horse shelters and advertise it in your local farming press 7 acres for rent with sheep pens ! Sheep only .

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    If the land means that much to you then dont put horses as ,as you say they will ruin it .
    Plan B - build some sheep pens which would be cheaper than horse shelters and advertise it in your local farming press 7 acres for rent with sheep pens ! Sheep only .
    Is that going to make the same money per acre though? It's got someone's sheep on it at the moment (just grazing) and we get less than a grand a year off it. What's the advantage of pens?

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North West - UK
    Posts
    29

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    I'd opt for 1 owner (much less hassle) with 4 horses maximum on 7 acres and split it into two as well, giving them winter and summer grazing. You could also have the option to graze any of your own sheep on their too, to tidy up a bit after the horses and keep down their' toilet areas to a minimum??

    If they wanted to split it down any further than than two paddocks (they may well have horse intolerant to excesses of grass and need to restrict the intake at certain times of the year),...make sure you insist they must 'poo pick' any smaller paddocks on a regular basis.

    I'd also be wanting to be paid by Direct Debit on a weekly or monthly basis whichever suits (and perhaps ask for a £100 bond too with the initial payment?). I'd be asking for £20/head on a weekly basis. The luxury of having your own space for your own horses is very sought after in my humble opinion.

    Would you be able to do the harrowing/rolling if needs be? Can they come to you for that?..chargeable extra for you and peace of mind that your land is being treated as it should.

    You'd be responsible for fencing issues, Yes? Well if you do go down this route,..do a walk with the potential 'renter' to make sure the fencing is good (and the renter knows you know this so there's no comeback on your pocket if the horses do any damage after they've moved on!)..and make sure they agree to replace anything that does get damaged.

    Your best bet is to get a basic contract in place with them covering both yourself and the renter.

    That's my two penneth for what it's worth initially

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Is that going to make the same money per acre though? It's got someone's sheep on it at the moment (just grazing) and we get less than a grand a year off it. What's the advantage of pens?
    You Could change a bit more rent and make it attractive to small holders who would like pens in the field.
    You seam to have an emotional attachment to your field which is fair enough. So as you say putting horses in it which will ruin it some what . This may upset you more than you realise.
    If you need the money then it's the horses and what comes with them :- ie the owners.
    You will make more money from them either side of £20 a week per nag id say .

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    it's not so much the field to be honest, it's whats in it. At the mo there is a lot of bramble which needs clearing anyway. So it's not perfect and could be recovered. Let's just say I have a few shortish term cash commitments at the mo and we had considered selling the field to settle it but if I can cover them with some kind of rental, even if the land gets hacked up a bit and have it back free and clear in 10 years time, that would be a huge win for me.

    The other idea I had was glamping as it's a stunning location but again, that's people.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    You aren't going to make 'money' out of 50 acres unless it is a campsite, car park or a golf course or a solar panel site.

    My advice, rent it out or flog it and forget about it.

    Rent it out to horsey folk. So they digger the ground a bit, who cares, nothing a bit of work can't sort out in a few years time.

    There are people about who own 500 acres and farm it yet who still moan they can't make any money out of it. Pasty, I fear you are trying to rekindle some long lost dream, as you say apparently it all went sour years ago. Why worry though? Does it matter.

    Long term if you let someone else rent it and farm it as part of their farming operation you will be helping them and you will know it is looked after properly. Beyond that, you do seem to be using up way too much brain power on the issue.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    it's not so much the field to be honest, it's whats in it. At the mo there is a lot of bramble which needs clearing anyway. So it's not perfect and could be recovered. Let's just say I have a few shortish term cash commitments at the mo and we had considered selling the field to settle it but if I can cover them with some kind of rental, even if the land gets hacked up a bit and have it back free and clear in 10 years time, that would be a huge win for me.

    The other idea I had was glamping as it's a stunning location but again, that's people.
    If you do the glamping route and get an asshole you will only have to put up with them for a week at best !

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Renting field to horse owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    You aren't going to make 'money' out of 50 acres unless it is a campsite, car park or a golf course or a solar panel site.

    My advice, rent it out or flog it and forget about it.

    Rent it out to horsey folk. So they digger the ground a bit, who cares, nothing a bit of work can't sort out in a few years time.

    There are people about who own 500 acres and farm it yet who still moan they can't make any money out of it. Pasty, I fear you are trying to rekindle some long lost dream, as you say apparently it all went sour years ago. Why worry though? Does it matter.

    Long term if you let someone else rent it and farm it as part of their farming operation you will be helping them and you will know it is looked after properly. Beyond that, you do seem to be using up way too much brain power on the issue.
    Netted £8k (and I do know what net is, I have run businesses all my life) out of 2 rough acres this year as a sideline and that little scheme can be multiplied by at least 5, possibly 10 or more with the same or less work if the right gear is brought in on the same piece of land, perhaps transferred to another 2 acres every other year to give it a rest. It's livestock by the way, kept to SA Organic standards in terms of stocking rates and space. I'm not organic but think it is a good benchmark for welfare and protection of the land. Sorry but I just don't buy into this tosh about you need 1000 acres to break even. You do if you are a dullard who believes all the crap they read in Farmers Weekly where articles are basically sponsored instructions to go and splurge your bank balance on some shitty chemical or massive machine to keep your sub-standard animals or crops alive. If you have a spark and an enquiring mind, an acceptance that nature rarely needs fixing if you allow it to thrive, opportunities abound. I've got a crop of hazel coppice blanks coming in 2015 on this same piece of land as well which make good money if managed well and the wood from the coppicing work back along will see me through this winter.

    The reason I'm looking to rent off this part of the 'smallholding' is that it's half a mile up the road and I can already see that shipping sheep or whatever back and forth is not going to be worth my time, because I do put a price on my time. It's not like you can run them up the road like we used to as some bell end will run them over or sue you for damage to his Audi. I don't want to keep anything valuable up there as security is an issue. So, if it can pay off my loan and I can keep it for now then all is good. I can go back in 10 years time, if my liver hasn't failed by then and instead of having sold it, I can decide what to do with it next. If it's wrecked then I can plough it up, run chickens, turkeys and geese all over it and put it back to decent meadow in a couple years. Or I can just plant out a wood. Or a wildflower meadow with shepherds hut.

    I don't want to go off on one here but farming is a business as it always has been but we need to accept that it is not the same business as our grandfathers ran or even our fathers (or mothers).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •