Thread: Power Harrow- Kuhn or Sulky??

Power Harrow- Kuhn or Sulky??

Just wondering what all you experienced tillage men think about these two harrows?
    (they may well be even made in the same factory for all i know!)
    but i have been offered a choice of one of each and would appreciate any helpful advice before i make the rather long trek to decide on one or the other.
    Would be used for reseeding grass in (sometimes) harsh conditions, light soil with rock not too far beneath!!
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Power Harrow- Kuhn or Sulky??

I would say kuhn. Seen them used on some harsh land reclaims and they stood the test of time.
    What model you looking at as depending on model number you either get a standard or heavy duty gearbox?.

Hi Thanks for the reply.
    The Kuhn is HR3003 but not sure about model numbers on the sulky.
    Have had an early model kuhn before (which i bought from a forum member years ago!) Was happy with that but it finally came to a point of deciding to change.
    Am due to see the two candidate harrows on Monday and would help if i knew what to look out for or which particular questions to ask!

Kuhn are bomb proof, but sulky a close second.
    Check for backlash on the rotors, oil leaks and cracks.

Thanks.
    Think the sulky will have four more tines in the 3 metre width. Will that mean a better finish/faster workrate or would it just cause problems with more obstacles to negotiate?!
    I have heard that some harrows are designed to quickly push any stones all to one side and out of harm's way instead of kicking them forwards for ages. Sounds unlikely but is it true? ... and which marques have that if yes?

I'd say KUHN but starting to wonder why one of mine keeps snapping 12.9bolts all the time.Cutout Clutch must still be too Tight need to alter that.Its a Refurbed 4002 from a well known place.Ive also got a 3004 which is spot on but its on QuickFit tines & whatever ur looking at make sure its got them.Bolts are more hassle than there worth.

Kuhn, Kuhn and Kuhn, we are on light land with lots of stone mixed in. HR4004 with quick fit tines has never let me down yet and we've had it 6or7rs, infact just fitted a air drill to it last year to make it a combi drill and it was the best move I ever made. So much time saved in going over twice, but I try and do most the drilling as my tractor driver can't seem to realise just because the combi drill will work doesn't mean its a seedbed......... as he prved this spring in some wetter land that was like mud and he should have stopped!

Thanks for the advice.
    I've only had bolt on ones on my previous harrow but both of the two I'm due to look at are quick fit.
    I'm used to Kuhn so I'm tending to naturally lean that direction anyway!
    Would like to hear from anyone who uses a sulky (preferably someone who would have experience of both makes?!) and get their views on it too.
    Ah- The trusty driver!! ... They can be the best tool in the box sometimes and can relieve the pressure, but they are very very rarely as good as the guy who has to pick up the tab when things go wrong!!
    Thanks again.
    Getting closer to decision time. Maybe i won't like either one!

Kuhn 👍

I've a 6 metre kuhn and a 4 metre sulky on the drill. Honestly think they are both as good as each other. No difference in finish. Kuhn quick change tines probably slightly easier to change but not to say sulky is difficult by any means, just that you have to hammer them into middle of rotor which can be annoying if the next tine in line stops you from getting a decent hit at it. Changed them last week and still only took half hour or so.

Been off for a while but great to see a viewpoint from someone who has experience of both.
    I have heard that the sulky spares are very expensive but can't even manage to track down a price (even ballpark) for the tines for them?!!

Kuhn every time for me, have boulders, bed rock you name it to contend with here, never lets us down. Watch which model you buy if Kuhn the first of the quick fit tines were quite pricey, later versions of tines are much cheaper.

sounds just like the kind of conditions i have to contend with!
    tines for these kuhn's cost about a tenner (euro) here plus vat.
    Saw the kuhn- looked like it had loads of work done and a little tired for the asking price.
    the sulky looked good but not sure if it'll stick the pressure and there is still that question of prices for spares.

they are made in same factory. i have a kuhn 4002 which had done about 20,000 acres