Thread: Townies moving to country

Townies moving to country

Anyone else plagued by these? Any tips on how to work with them? Just had a new one arrived and causing nothing but bother, mad dog and fella just gave me a lovely set of verbals cause tractor blocking lane while moving sheep, my lane, his right of way. Tried to move it before he came but a nutter of a charley ram had beaten of me, he would have seen that yet still ate head off me. And to think when they 1st moved i lifted bin in lane on quad for them as its rough and about a mile long. Last time i do a good deed!!!

Re: Townies moving to country

Unfortunately, they only seem to take notice when they are told by a third party with the authority of the law behind them. Any act of kindness seems to be taken as weakness. Mine has discovered that his statement, "It's my land and I'll do what I want on it" isn't exactly true as there are laws to control those who act irresponsibly. Yes, it is against all our instincts in the countryside to use the law when a quiet word is usually enough for our own kind -- but we are not dealing with our own kind.

Where a dog is out of control (read "strays") there are dog wardens or the police. I believe a right of way is not considered blocked if the obstruction is there for less than 20 minutes. Verbal abuse is assault/breach of the peace, Etc. Just make sure you yourself remain calm and do not react to the inevitable provocation (except for recording and reporting each incident) otherwise it will be you who is in the wrong! I have found the authorities (council and police) very helpful and discrete which, frankly, is not what I expected!

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Where a dog is out of control (read "strays") there are dog wardens or the police.
    A useful tactic with a wandering dog (not that I would do such a thing ) is for the local dog warden to pick them up, "I have no idea who`s dog this is" ,meaning a 20 mile trip to the pound at the far end of the next county and a 70 fee each time .They soon learn .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

They are a different breed although some are OK. Some are really nice people. But some have that edge. You think everything is going OK and they you get smacked between the eyes, metaphorically. On the whole they don't think like us but you have to try and get on I suppose.

I would be tempted to log with your local police force as a non crime related incident, just in case things escalate in the future.

Or maybe better get a Diary write the date down and write down exactly what the verbal exchange was and keep a log, if things escalate and you find yourself in front of a police officer, hand them the diary and you make their job easy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballymac View Post
    Anyone else plagued by these? Any tips on how to work with them? Just had a new one arrived and causing nothing but bother, mad dog and fella just gave me a lovely set of verbals cause tractor blocking lane while moving sheep, my lane, his right of way. Tried to move it before he came but a nutter of a charley ram had beaten of me, he would have seen that yet still ate head off me. And to think when they 1st moved i lifted bin in lane on quad for them as its rough and about a mile long. Last time i do a good deed!!!
    If It's your lane did you sell the site?Limited sympathy for farmers who sold sites and now complain about having people living in the houses on them. They know they paid too much for them, have a huge mortgage and massive negative equity and want to take it out on someone.Keep the land green and the townies in the concrete jungles!!!

Have to agree with you there GM. Not saying that's the case with you Ballymac. Seen it round here a few times, farmer sells site or 2, the next thing you know his new neighbour is complaining about him spreading slurry in the field next to him. One man near here had to stop lifting silage at 10 o'clock because his 'neighbour' said his children were in bed sleeping. Some are fine and just get on with their lives, others can make a misery out of your life.

I've had enough experience of townies thank you very much but consider this. Most of us don't know what other people's lives consist of. I haven't got a clue about what a teacher's life is about, or a bus driver, or an accountant, or anybody else for that matter. But I make a point when drinking in my local of chatting to non-farming related people. Can you imagine what it's like staring into other people's mouths all day every day like dentists do ? One of my lawyer friends who acted for me on many occasions once said to me that he envied me because I have spent my entire life doing exactly what I wanted to do. How many people can say that ?

And consider their perspective on our lives. And these are general observations of course. Firstly we do not commute. We work outside in fresh air. We drive around in 4x4s. We can walk around fields, with a gun if we feel like it. We can buy huge machines, some of which are more expensive than the houses that they live in. They all know that we get payments of some sort "from the Government" so that must be a subsidy. And we make smells and noise, sometimes outside of their working hours, sometimes, Heaven forbid, at unsocial hours. And some figure that if we get money "from the Government" then it must have been their money as taxpayers that funded such largesse. So if they are giving us money we must be working for them and therefore we should be subservient to them.

Some are intelligent enough to know that if we own our farm(s) then we are very wealthy monetarily. But they also know that some of us are incredibly frugal (substitute mean if you wish) But most don't know or, if they do, don't understand, about asset rich, cash poor.

Never have tunnel vision about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    If It's your lane did you sell the site?Limited sympathy for farmers who sold sites and now complain about having people living in the houses on them. They know they paid too much for them, have a huge mortgage and massive negative equity and want to take it out on someone.Keep the land green and the townies in the concrete jungles!!!
    Didn't sell the site, owned or bought all ground up the lane apart from a small field right at the end which these people inherited recently and built their house. Was an old run down house on it so they got replacement dwelling and right of way always existed. Their dog is a doberman spooked my cattle at start of summer causing them to break out on to lane i just happened to be up the lane at the time so wasn't big fuss and the wife apologised said it was her fault which i thought was fair enough so didn't mind.

The thing that worries me the most is they put i think 60loads of stone on the lane, did a good job but it was a rough lane and im worried when it gets rough again they will blame me and tractors and make me pay a share to fix it especially when they are starting to get a bit awkward. Kept my cool yesterday purely because i was so taken aback.

Only ever had ONE problem with townies..... Still waiting for it to end!!!
    Seriously though, yes some can be fine, usually the ones you're expecting to be a problem, however those that become a problem make your life hell. The worst for me are those who came as young couples, moved up the social ladder & now years later think they are IT & we are what we take out in the tanker!! That's the problem of farming in the middle of a village!! I'm sure I could get them backing me building houses on the yard just to get rid of me but we were here first so why should I? They bought houses knowing they were near or next door to a working farm. But being fair, the next door neighbours have turned out to be the best of the lot which is a nice change

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    I would be tempted to log with your local police force as a non crime related incident, just in case things escalate in the future.
    That's just what I've been doing every time Mrs NeilO or I have been physically threatened by the lovely dog walkers from the town here. One of these days it will most certainly 'escalate', and at least there will be a record of provocation.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    That's just what I've been doing every time Mrs NeilO or I have been physically threatened by the lovely dog walkers from the town here. One of these days it will most certainly 'escalate', and at least there will be a record of provocation.
    Did that over a period of time, kept logging with police about one neighbour & eventually they went to visit. Then she tried the RSPCA, who passed it onto Trading Standards so had a visit. They eventually rang me up to find out if I had done what they'd asked to which I replied yes come & see for yourself. They said it was fine & if I had ONE single more complaint they would deal with the person themselves!! Yes keep track of the problems but keep your nose clean for when they try the next attack....

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I've had enough experience of townies thank you very much but consider this. Most of us don't know what other people's lives consist of. I haven't got a clue about what a teacher's life is about, or a bus driver, or an accountant, or anybody else for that matter. But I make a point when drinking in my local of chatting to non-farming related people. Can you imagine what it's like staring into other people's mouths all day every day like dentists do ? One of my lawyer friends who acted for me on many occasions once said to me that he envied me because I have spent my entire life doing exactly what I wanted to do. How many people can say that ?

And consider their perspective on our lives. And these are general observations of course. Firstly we do not commute. We work outside in fresh air. We drive around in 4x4s. We can walk around fields, with a gun if we feel like it. We can buy huge machines, some of which are more expensive than the houses that they live in. They all know that we get payments of some sort "from the Government" so that must be a subsidy. And we make smells and noise, sometimes outside of their working hours, sometimes, Heaven forbid, at unsocial hours. And some figure that if we get money "from the Government" then it must have been their money as taxpayers that funded such largesse. So if they are giving us money we must be working for them and therefore we should be subservient to them.
    Some are intelligent enough to know that if we own our farm(s) then we are very wealthy monetarily. But they also know that some of us are incredibly frugal (substitute mean if you wish) But most don't know or, if they do, don't understand, about asset rich, cash poor.

Never have tunnel vision about anything.
    But if they are employed in the Public Sector, don't hesitate to point out that they are 100% subsidised, have generous holidays, a short working week, no capital invested, and a generous pension scheme. And their tax is paid by the State in their pay packets, so it doesn't actually add to the Exchequer's tax income.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    But if they are employed in the Public Sector, don't hesitate to point out that they are 100% subsidised, have generous holidays, a short working week, no capital invested, and a generous pension scheme. And their tax is paid by the State in their pay packets, so it doesn't actually add to the Exchequer's tax income.
    My wife works as a nurse in the NHS, not had a pay rise in 5yrs. How many other businesses would freeze pay for 5yrs? And b4 you say it, I'd rather calve a dead rotten calf for nothing than deal with what she does for a millions pounds, yes she choose the career and gets good benefits but no pay rise doesn't seem much incentive for them.
    Last edited by miketm150; 28-09-14 at 07:47 PM.

We have a couple near us, OK people.
    Without the townies we would all have to pack up farming and get jobs in the cities.

We have a Englishman who has befriended and elderly man who lives opposite our yard. Has done for years with no bother. Its a long story but this man has now decided he has some sort of say as to what happens etc. Asked me the other day when I was keeping the cows in the shed. I told him when the weather tells us to. He replied that the lane was a terrible mess and if I would keep the cows in he would see to getting it power washed. Now I try to be civil but I was getting it a bit tight that day and so I told him that when he paid his share of the concrete that went on the lane (done 2yrs ago) he could then have an opinion.

The bit that really bugs me is it doesn't matter when you meet him he's flashing the lights from about 500yrds to let you know he's there. Bugs the life out of me!!

Quote Originally Posted by causeway cowboy View Post
    We have a Englishman who has befriended and elderly man who lives opposite our yard. Has done for years with no bother. Its a long story but this man has now decided he has some sort of say as to what happens etc. Asked me the other day when I was keeping the cows in the shed. I told him when the weather tells us to. He replied that the lane was a terrible mess and if I would keep the cows in he would see to getting it power washed. Now I try to be civil but I was getting it a bit tight that day and so I told him that when he paid his share of the concrete that went on the lane (done 2yrs ago) he could then have an opinion.

The bit that really bugs me is it doesn't matter when you meet him he's flashing the lights from about 500yrds to let you know he's there. Bugs the life out of me!!
    He's probably on a townie forum somewhere saying that all he did was offer to get the road cleaned at his own expense for the farmer and instead got a barrow full of abuse for his trouble and why are all these rural types so grumpy anyway?!
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk