Thread: right, that's it i'm giving up

right, that's it i'm giving up

This year’s seed-rate was increased by 2,475 seeds/ha and indications are the crop will be yielding between 44.5-50t/acre."

not sure how us mere mortals can compete with these people

from this article
    http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/02/10/2014/146967/plan-now-to-make-most-of-this-year39s-maize-silage.htm

Re: right, that's it i'm giving up

It's supposed to be per hectare. A ten foot crop drilled at 45000 seeds won't yield 50 tonnes! 20 would be about right.

As a rough guide a crop of normal height about 7 feet tall drilled at 42 will yield about 15 tonnes with a tonne extra for every foot roughly.

A serious crop in the US which would come close to reaching the UoW yield record would have to yield 34 tonnes of fresh yield so there is no way some numpty writing in the FW has found that on a British farm.

So a bit of a typo I think, 50 tonne a hec is only 20 tonnes and I've done 23 this year on one farm and without any top dress fertiliser or late varieties so I would not be suprised to find someone hitting 25 this year, but 28 is not uncommon in the US and they use far lower seed rates.

A lot of folk around here talking of getting 25 ton acre, i don't know who they're trying to fool, me or themselves or are they planning to harvest a wet crop.

You have to remember that your seed rate does not automatically equate to an identical plant population.

In our own trials crops drilled early at 47,000/acre when counted later only had stands of about 38,000/acre.

Even the Americans do not drill deadly early.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BULL View Post
    A lot of folk around here talking of getting 25 ton acre, i don't know who they're trying to fool, me or themselves or are they planning to harvest a wet crop.

out of interest, where roughly is here? when we do an analysis of ours, i'll see what the dm per acre was that's a bit of a fairer comparison

Talking dry matter is all well and good but you don't get dry matter without the fresh first. Dry matter is simply a measure of how mature the plant was and how far it was along drying down.

Had to laugh last week as I have a farm where for the first time ever they grew a non-pioneer variety and it quickly pulled the pants down of the remaining fields (all into pioneer stuff) despite being drilled 2 weeks later than them. Yield was near equal to them yet it was as equally ripe. Net result= no pioneer on there next year.