Thread: Looking for someone to come up and teach pesticide course

Looking for someone to come up and teach pesticide course

Hi , looking for someone qualified to teach PA1/2 and 6 on a two day course up in the highlands. Free accommodation. Finding trainers fees really prohibitive for all the grandfathers who no longer have rights after nov and have to have the certificate to spray. Can offer up to £500 a day plus vat

Re: Looking for someone to come up and teach pesticide course

Try your local SAC office for someone or for a suggestion.

Where is your nearest Machinery Ring? Or what about Lantra?

http://www.lantra-awards.co.uk/Contact-Us.aspx

Uworkfornowtnow might even offer.

Quote Originally Posted by crofteress View Post
    Hi , looking for someone qualified to teach PA1/2 and 6 on a two day course up in the highlands. Free accommodation. Finding trainers fees really prohibitive for all the grandfathers who no longer have rights after nov and have to have the certificate to spray. Can offer up to £500 a day plus vat

£500/day .....how much is the cert going to be?....talk about expensive jobs for boys

If I remember rightly the link are doing courses soon so worth giving them a call if I can find the newsletter il post up the contact details

Wasnt there supposed a cheaper easier city and guilds route for such people?

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    Wasnt there supposed a cheaper easier city and guilds route for such people?
    From C&G website ..

https://www.nptc.org.uk/qualificatio...il.aspx?id=474

021605 - City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Safe Use of Pesticides Replacing Grandfather Rights (QCF)
    This qualification is specifically for those who were previously exempt under ‘Grandfather Rights’ who apply pesticides on land they own or occupy. From 26th November 2015 under the requirements of the Plant Protection Products (Sustainable Use) Regulation (2012) – a training certificate or Certificate of Competence is required for anyone who is going to apply any professional product. This qualification satisfies those requirements and will be awarded to Candidates who achieve the required level of competence in the units to which their Certificate relates.

Qualification Overview: The qualification is divided into four units. Unit 051 is mandatory and the candidate is to choose a further one or more unit from 052, 053 and 054.

What you need to do: Complete a practical test with one to one verbal questioning.
    Scheme Documentation:
    To download the scheme documentation click on the relevant bullet point below.

Training centres in Scotland appear to be ...

Skills (Scotland) Testing Services Ltd Lothian Machinery Ring, Overgogar Bank, Edinburgh, EH12 9DD 0131 339 8730 frank@lothianmachineryring.co.uk www.lothianmachineryring.co.uk
    Ringlink Services Ltd Cargill Centre, Business Park, Aberdeen Road, Laurencekirk, Scotland AB30 1EY 01561 376000 peter@ringlinkservices.co.uk www.ringlinkservices.co.uk
    Forestry Operations Training Centre Forestry Commission, AE Village, Dumfries DG1 1QB 01387 243030 calum.rafferty@forestry.gsi.gov.uk
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Quote Originally Posted by spin cycle View Post
    £500/day .....how much is the cert going to be?....talk about expensive jobs for boys
    I was looking into getting someone trained to go on the quad earlier in year and it would have cost almost £1000 to do PA1, PA2 & PA6 with 2 days( possibly 3 for someone with little experience/knowledge) for each course. So that would have been another 6-9 days wages on-top of the £1000. So if crofteress can get it all done in 2 days for 1G I wish her all the best. There's a lot in it and most aren't too keen on testing as soon after training as the following day so that you have time to read over the notes and prepare for the test. Have a look at this and it'll give you a flavour.

http://www.nptc.org.uk/assets/docume...324c072edf.pdf

Talking Re: Looking for someone to come up and teach pesticide course

Don't do pesticides.

Where do I pick up the £500?

The wrong side of some water, but we are currently using Eoin McCambridge of Ballynagloghtraining.
    contact
    Eoin McCambridge <ballynagloghtraining@gmail.com>

Eoin appears to be very through.

Marcus

I read down as far as no.3 in the assessment table - 'Fingers and thumbs outside the steering wheel.'

Oh my word, I completely lost the will to live at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by DairyFarmer111 View Post
    I read down as far as no.3 in the assessment table - 'Fingers and thumbs outside the steering wheel.'

Oh my word, I completely lost the will to live at that point.
    It'll be like doing the driving test aaaalllllllllll over again! 😨😨

http://www.nptc.org.uk/assets/docume...324c072edf.pdf[/QUOTE]

near the end of the 'suggested equipment' i see 'suitable lubricants'....presumably thats just in case we're getting sore after all that shafting

This is just the start of a whole new industry REGULATION the new way to find work for thousands, on things we have been doing for years !!

Thanks lots for all your help. I can't find anyone who can do it cheaper than the man I am getting down, he needs 3 and a half days. It's to cost 360 for each person. I need 3 more names so if anyone fancies a 3 day training break in the scenic west coast I can do free beds.I agree it's not right but I am running the course and getting paid for it so might as well

I managed to complete the 'Grandfather rights' PA1, PA2 & PA6 earlier this year and to be honest the whole process seemed fairly straightforward. For the 'Grandfather rights' version of the tests I'm not sure training is even needed, a guide book is supplied when the test is arranged that covers both the practical and theory side of things, experienced operators should achieve the qualifications with no problems.

Before doing the pesticides tests and getting the mounted sprayer tested I thought the whole thing a real ball ache and a complete waste of time but I must say it has completely altered the way I look at the job now, safety, labels, calibrations, accurate applications etc. Worth doing I think..

Mike

Hi Mike, can you tell me where you got this done? Or did someone come out to your farm? How much will the cost be and will the farm assurance people be satisfied with this qualification or will you also have to join NRoSO.
    Willly

Quote Originally Posted by willly View Post
    Hi Mike, can you tell me where you got this done? Or did someone come out to your farm? How much will the cost be and will the farm assurance people be satisfied with this qualification or will you also have to join NRoSO.
    Willly
    Hi Willly,

I did the regular PA1 course at my local market, a day of being taught the theory followed by the computer based multiple choice questions. After doing the PA1 I was told I could either do the regular PA2&6 (cost about £370) or the 'Safe use of pesticides' - Grandfather rights PA2&6 (cost £135 + £31 registration fee). I decided as I only use pesticides my own farm to do the cheaper option. I believe the NPTC level 2 0216-05 PAGR qualifications are accepted by the farm assurance schemes.

The assessor came to my own farm, as I'd already done the PA1 theory he skipped straight to the practical tests, which are the pretty much the same as the regular PA2&6. The day before the assessments I read the book that was included with my booking, prepared the sprayers, checked my PPE, measured the 100m then placed my marker posts (bout widths) around a small field. The test seemed fairly straightforward and not too bad.

Mike

i've just booked some free training via csf...but i'm confused about the different pa1/2 courses....'regular' or 'grandad' WTF

Quote Originally Posted by spin cycle View Post
    i've just booked some free training via csf...but i'm confused about the different pa1/2 courses....'regular' or 'grandad' WTF
    same course that cost me £600 at easton no doubt , nevermind at least csf are giving me 10k to spend on concrete so i get a little back

thanks for that info Mike, What or whom are csf any one? Google tells me its Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) I'm sure that's not what was meant here! I do like the sound of getting the course paid for though, it does sound too good to be true a bit like waking up and finding all these regulations are a bad dream.
    Willly

catchment sensitive farming

Quote Originally Posted by crofteress View Post
    Thanks lots for all your help. I can't find anyone who can do it cheaper than the man I am getting down, he needs 3 and a half days. It's to cost 360 for each person. I need 3 more names so if anyone fancies a 3 day training break in the scenic west coast I can do free beds.I agree it's not right but I am running the course and getting paid for it so might as well
    How'd you all get on crofteress? Passes all round? What did you think of the training and testing?

How are things going with this...seems I'm suspended from NROSO and Red Tractor. Anyone going about Berwickshire to sign me off ...just need the Granfather bit...

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    How are things going with this...seems I'm suspended from NROSO and Red Tractor. Anyone going about Berwickshire to sign me off ...just need the Granfather bit...
    Try this.......http://www.sruc.ac.uk/directory_reco...ndation_module
    You might get some help from contacting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Try this.......http://www.sruc.ac.uk/directory_reco...ndation_module
    You might get some help from contacting them.
    Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    Thanks for the link.
    Get in touch with BMR in Gala.