Thread: tractor registration HELP

tractor registration HELP

Hi Chaps...got an interesting one for you .............. Ive reciently bought a JD 7530 off a chap in cumbria who has been using it on his farm.
    His brother previously bought it in poland and imported it into the uk but he the chap i bought it off didnt have any docs for it ???? his brother has since passed away so he is no help and the chap i bought it off was completely clueless .

So my question is basically this ........Even though i have no documents for the tractor or proof of where it has come from ....is their any way i can register it for uk use ? and if so would it be on a "Q" plate ???

doesnt even have a polish plate on it .....just has all the original serial numbers and plates

Re: tractor registration HELP

I don't like the sound of this at all. No paperwork, no reg plate, have you a receipt?

got a sale reciept yes, he basically has been using it for 3 yrs just on the farm ...not ventured on the road at all....the chap i bought it off was in his 70's and really didnt know how to go about getting it registered.

Dodgy!

I'm in a similar situation. I bought a ford 1720 with no paperwork as it had only been used on the farm but have not got around to registering it.

Try running the make / serial # through your customs people - you may get some paperwork that way (if it was imported legally)

I bought a tractor in the UK (from a dealer) that had not been registered. I believe if it was to go on a Q plate all that was required was an application form. As I wanted the correct age VRM, the dealer requested a Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer which was sent to DVLA with photos of the serial nos etc on the tractor and (eventually) a VRM was issued.
    It was a fairly lengthy process but all done properly!
    The issuing of a VRM only registers that vehicle it does not confer any legality to ownership or provenance as I understand.

Think Police come out to check them ? Even if Q plate issued eventually ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
    I bought a tractor in the UK (from a dealer) that had not been registered. I believe if it was to go on a Q plate all that was required was an application form. As I wanted the correct age VRM, the dealer requested a Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer which was sent to DVLA with photos of the serial nos etc on the tractor and (eventually) a VRM was issued.
    It was a fairly lengthy process but all done properly!
    The issuing of a VRM only registers that vehicle it does not confer any legality to ownership or provenance as I understand.
    did it eventually go on a "Q" plate or was it given a propper reg ?

My wife handles this kind of thing, I have had several tractors with no doc's and they are not on a Q plate and are road legal. The insurance company only need a serial number and I think there is a form to fill in at DVLA. Will ask tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
    My wife handles this kind of thing, I have had several tractors with no doc's and they are not on a Q plate and are road legal. The insurance company only need a serial number and I think there is a form to fill in at DVLA. Will ask tonight.

that would be a massive help thanks very much

it is quite simple
    from the VIN on the chassis you will be able to get the age.
    if necessary check with John deere
    Then get the form from the DVLA and they will issue an age related plate.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by A touch of CLAAS View Post
    did it eventually go on a "Q" plate or was it given a propper reg ?
    A proper reg with local prefix letters and correct age numbers

Agree with 'Wastedyears' insurance company quite happy to insure on VIN/serial number

Hello, just wondered ,where abouts in Cumbria you got that JD from , does sound strange that some one buys a tractor like that and does not use it on the road , I live in Cumbria , if you need help please get in touch

Quote Originally Posted by jackp View Post
    Hello, just wondered ,where abouts in Cumbria you got that JD from , does sound strange that some one buys a tractor like that and does not use it on the road , I live in Cumbria , if you need help please get in touch
    I also live in Cumbria and nothing that others and myself do surprises me anymore. Me and Mrs Wasted went to see 'Fury ' at the flicks last night so forgot to ask, will do so tonight.

Mrs wasted says have a look on DVLA website for instructions but broadly you tell DVLA what the VIN number is and they will tell you what the reg. number was. The only worry is that the tractor was the previous keepers to sell? You can PM me the name of the chap you bought it off if you like, I may know him.

Our 1981 JCB 520/2 telehandler had no documents or plates when we bought it 20 years ago.3 years ago rented a neighbouring farm so needed to take it on the road,contacted JCB who gave us year and first owner,DVLA sent us a plate for that year,no problem.Would imagine there are quite a few ag. vehicles about that never leave the farm until sold.

I just had a odd one with a Manitou, bought it off a local dealer as a trade in, I new the owner, but somehow between the three of us we lost the V5, anyway I filled in the dvla forms and sent my payment (25 I think?) to get a replacement. no problems just had to wait for dvla to do there thing in there own time!

BUT when the replacement V5 came back it only had 1 previous owner when it should have had 2 as the owner that had it last bought it second hand off another dealer.

The details for the pervious owner they put on the V5 was for the first keeper not even the second one! so according to the V5 I am only the second owner not the third

Quote Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
    Mrs wasted says have a look on DVLA website for instructions but broadly you tell DVLA what the VIN number is and they will tell you what the reg. number was. The only worry is that the tractor was the previous keepers to sell? You can PM me the name of the chap you bought it off if you like, I may know him.
    I just recently sent off for a new reg document for my job 527 to the dvla but I had no idea what the req number was so I left it blank and filled out the vin number and all the details I knew. They sent a letter back stating put in the req number or they will arrange for it to be inspected for roadworthy ness before a plate can be issued. This is a bit of a faff, I contacted my local job dealer but they said can't help. Any other routes I can try?
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."