Thread: Kuhn tub mixers

Kuhn tub mixers

Anyone ran a Kuhn twin auger machine?
    They're not too popular around here, but just because the Kuhn dealer has had a longish relationship with BVL with little trouble. So I don't know a long term user to ask.

Re: Kuhn tub mixers

had 1 for 5 year runs very well for me i`d get another one

We had one for 4yrs and it was a great machine, but it had a useless elevator and stupid aeroplane wheels which is why I replaced it with a JF. But I'd happily buy another but with a full width and cross conveyor and decent wheels like the JF has. The JF isn't wearing as quickly in the tub or on blades as the Kuhn did but they may have upped their game now as it was 3yrs ago I swapped!

Kuhn just happen to have a one our exact build. Except as you say, the naff wheels. So we'd be ditching them for the one's same as what comes standard on the JF.
    I'd not be shy of the JF but we don't have a firm dealer for JF in our part of the world.
    Kuhn dealer and Kuhn get full marks in anything we've had to do with them.

Are Ricks the Jf dealer for your patch Jim?

Yes Ricks can get JF but they're very pushy with Abbey. They do a lot of Abbey tankers as well as feeder/mixers.

You don't fancy another Strautmann than, Jim?

Nothing much wrong with Strauhtmann really except parts price rip-off. Carrs just seem to tick all the boxes and bend over backwards to help. They're good in making you feel like a valued customer.

It came last week. I don't know who does wheel choice at Kuhn, but he probably needs his arse kicking for putting those, almost Landrover wheels on. It's a 22 cube when it get's it's extension on and PDI'd.
    Those wheels are definitely going, the dealer is getting some of these 435/50.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    It came last week. I don't know who does wheel choice at Kuhn, but he probably needs his arse kicking for putting those, almost Landrover wheels on. It's a 22 cube when it get's it's extension on and PDI'd.
    Those wheels are definitely going, the dealer is getting some of these 435/50.

That's a fair size what hp in front of that also are the quite far back or is it just the photo

TS115a. Handles this old one no problem.

Sorry mention to say I thought the axles seemed quite far back .How many cows you feedin at the one go with it
    Last edited by JimF; 24-11-14 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfromhill View Post
    Sorry mention to say I thought the axles seemed quite far back .How many cows you feedin at the one go with it

We feed 240 cows twice/day.

(Sorry, I clicked on the wrong link there, you post hasn't been edited)

Jim, did you go for the TMR tracker with your diet feeder. Il also be replacing my verti mix double 1400 next year but I like look of kvernelands wireless feed recording and being able to have the screen in the loader and being able to input different mixes into it. I also like dealing with Lloyds and i think they push kverneland and strautmann more but ive not really started looking into it yet! My strautmann been great but fancy a change

No, didn't go for TMR Tracker thingy. I fill the mixer myself and I know exactly what I put in, so it wasn't for me. It just happened to be one Kuhn had on their stand at the Telford Dairy event where my brother saw it. They'd had it from last year so a bit of intense negotiating involved.

Kvernelands are Ok, there's one at Newton Rigg and it has all the gizmos on.
    Not sure if you'd still get one at Lloyds since Kverneland ditched them for not selling their power harrows.

Profi Farmer

Jim did you replace the Strautmann or the Keenan?

Neither.
    Straughman's heading over to the other farm to feed heifers. Big, warn out tub mixers are worth dam all. Smaller farms can't fit them in, and bigger farms tend to buy newer ones.
    We're going to have a wear strip put round each mixing auger and a few new knives fitted.

Neither.
    Straughman's heading over to the other farm to feed heifers. Big, warn out tub mixers are worth dam all. Smaller farms can't fit them in, and bigger farms tend to buy newer ones.
    We're going to have a wear strip put round each mixing auger and a few new knives fitted.
    Hello Jim, sorry to see you bought a competitive brand😢. We have moved on some since your brothers model and one of the changes being Mix + a stainless steel wear strip on the edge of the auger all the way from top to bottom. We also have the BX banana elevator too! Wireless weighing and data transfer is a JF pioneered thing. As the others are now catching up we are working on a new version now! By the way Rickerby do sell our feeders as well as the straw bedding and silage feeding machines!

Sorry Martin. No offence intended, it was a 'dealer back up' based decision. There was nothing at all wrong with the JF when we had it for the 6 weeks.
    Carrs really go out of their way to help us at our branch, you're made to feel welcome and valued as a customer.
    Rickerbys did come with a price for a JF as well as their Abbey, but sometimes being too pushy can put you off, phoning every week with 'last chance' offer.

No offence taken. Spoke to the "tango" people today and we spoke about it actually. Never like loosing a potential deal, but I have got a thick enough skin to accept it and move on. Next time, because there always is a next time - as long as you are still milking cows - and I hope you are!! By the way the "tango" people I spoke to don't drink milk; shame on them!! I add that bit to see how long before my phone rings with a comment!!😀🍼
    Last edited by Martin Holden; 02-12-14 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Grammar

By the way the "tango" people I spoke to don't drink milk shame on them!!
    In Telford, or in France? They have dry cornflakes, margarine, black coffee, Pizza without cheese and plain Chocolate too? I think our milk goes into chocolate crumb and sweetened condensed milk some of the time
    as long as you are still milking cows - and I hope you are!!
    I wouldn't bet my life on that :/ Looking like there's some very lean days ahead. We've bought this on the strength of the first 2/3rds of this tax year. Doesn't look like there's going to be any chance of anything doing next year.

Spoke to the "tango" people today and we spoke about it actually
    You ask them who chose those feckless wheels? I'm going to next time I see them.
    I think it's coming here tomorrow.

Hah! Well I hope you are still milking cows!! It's a crying shame the milk industry is in the position that it is. As others have said before, why isn't milk and milk products being marketed much more than it is? The one solution to the current situation is to increase demand; that takes vision, time and much effort by all those involved in the industry. Lowering production will surely only serve to increase imports? That won't help the domestic production one bit.

Don't drag me into the tyre issue!! We have always fitted 435 wheels on our 20m3 and upwards models. Have only ever fitted smaller ones as a special request.

We had the NFU Dairy board chairman up here last week speaking at our local discussion group. It was very grim listening saying there was no improvement expected until way after July at the very earliest. His speech was almost defeatist.

I got the call! Apparently they eat porridge with milk, so I have to back down and apologise! Surprised and disappointed to hear your comments on the meeting you attended.

So the Kuhn guys read this thread too? You think their wheel chooser will be on Gardening Leave by now?

Oh well, if they do read this I may as well bring a couple more points to their attention; Bowden cable on the Low & High. Bowden cables are the work of the devil! I ditched Rickerby's Abbey because of the blasted things.

Weigh display box; It should be able to be read from both sides of the mixer. When the Keenan guys turn up I tell them a tub is better because we can fill it from either side. Carrs are 'adjusting' it in the morning. Have a look at the way Straughtmann do theirs, it's good.

So the Kuhn guys read this thread too? You think their wheel chooser will be on Gardening Leave by now?

Oh well, if they do read this I may as well bring a couple more points to their attention; Bowden cable on the Low & High. Bowden cables are the work of the devil! I ditched Rickerby's Abbey because of the blasted things.

Weigh display box; It should be able to be read from both sides of the mixer. When the Keenan guys turn up I tell them a tub is better because we can fill it from either side. Carrs are 'adjusting' it in the morning. Have a look at the way Straughtmann do theirs, it's good.
    How do you change between low and high on kuhn? Our strauttman has Bowden cable, don't like it either.

There's a lever with Bowden cable. If you look on the very top picture, that's the cable in a loop between JD window and back light.

Our Straughtmann has an electric actuator that's mounted on a leaf spring.

35 on eBay for one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-330lbs...item3f40f4bde7