Thread: Drying Off Tubes

Drying Off Tubes

Currently using 35day tubes on most cows, wondered what the latest opinion is on short/long dry period and what tubes people are using?

Re: Drying Off Tubes

45 day dry period here on most cows, use Ubro Red on under 150 ssc, Orbenin Extra on 150 - 400 ssc, any cows over 400 get Cepravin and 60 days dry. Also 100ml Tylan on cows above 250 ssc.

Cepravin-we've had a night mare with this withdrawal date wise have cows needing the milk held out for up to ten days before they clear antibiotic test...had a cow dried off 4 months giving 45litres by day 4 of lactation still took 10 days to clear!

bovaclox extra 49 days on all cows,i test any cow that calves before 60 days dry before i put milk in the tank just in case, supposely good on staph aureus???

Quote Originally Posted by Accidential_Farmer View Post
    Cepravin-we've had a night mare with this withdrawal date wise have cows needing the milk held out for up to ten days before they clear antibiotic test...had a cow dried off 4 months giving 45litres by day 4 of lactation still took 10 days to clear!
    why do you continue to use,do they treat a particular mastitis

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    why do you continue to use,do they treat a particular mastitis
    Not using it that much but yes its to do with a type of mastitis...advice from a vet I wouldn't now be too keen on listening too!

Are you using a teat sealant too? And did you get a Bulk Tank Failure to pick this up? To be honest the majority of mine get 35 day tubes (Cephaguard) and I don't Delvo test if beyond 35 days...

Seems consensus is to use a longer tube/dry period...

Using Cepravin and Orbeseal and aim for 60 day dry period. (56 day realised dry period last year)

Would be interested in reducing antibiotic use but am reluctant with an average cell count of 95 and less than 6% incidence of clinical mastitis on 150 cow autumn block calving.

In my opinion the most important thing is drying off routine. I am meticulous with cleanliness when administering tubes and keep bags and tails clipped. My pet hate is people who bang tubes in as they are milking with no thought to the process.

HH

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    Currently using 35day tubes on most cows, wondered what the latest opinion is on short/long dry period and what tubes people are using?
    Nothing.....none at all for over 2 years now. no sealant either. just cut feed back, reduce milkings to 2 a day (robot) then into a very well bedded up yard. fly spray if appropriate and watch them carefully. had 2 get mastitis in the 2 years. both cured fine with couple of TD and stripping. both times at peak fly season. probably no more or less than when I tubed everything with cepravin and orbseal.

Cepravin here too, on vet's advice. Did discuss only tubing high SCC cows at last review but as historically we had quite a high cell count problem then he said not yet. We average 63 days dry. Everything has to pass a delvo before it goes back in the tank.

Had one cow dried off 21/11 calved 03/01 (early) but was not clear until yesterday (24th) so good thing we do test!

Are you using a teat sealant too? And did you get a Bulk Tank Failure to pick this up? To be honest the majority of mine get 35 day tubes (Cephaguard) and I don't Delvo test if beyond 35 days...

Seems consensus is to use a longer tube/dry period...
    Using teat sealant as well... Not had a tank failure yet...test kits or send to processors lab for testing.
    if it's up to me this winter will see an end to it being in use.
    So if anyone is thinking of using them or advised too... Think twice all that extra milk dumped all adds up

Using teat sealant as well... Not had a tank failure yet...test kits or send to processors lab for testing.
    if it's up to me this winter will see an end to it being in use.
    So if anyone is thinking of using them or advised too... Think twice all that extra milk dumped all adds up
    I was more surprised that you were testing after the label withhold... I'll be checking cell count after calving, but don't re-test for antibiotic if I'm beyond the withhold on the label!

I was more surprised that you were testing after the label withhold... I'll be checking cell count after calving, but don't re-test for antibiotic if I'm beyond the withhold on the label!
    We checked only because another farmer we know had tank failures put down to said antibiotic otherwise we don't usually/ever test outside withdrawal periods

We checked only because another farmer we know had tank failures put down to said antibiotic otherwise we don't usually/ever test outside withdrawal periods
    I always use cepravin and even at 42 days plus it will pass test, it could be that orbseal is holding the antibiotic in for longer?!

Quote Originally Posted by jersey welshman View Post
    I always use cepravin and even at 42 days plus it will pass test, it could be that orbseal is holding the antibiotic in for longer?!
    Used cepravin years ago.... It was when Milk Marque started paying bonus on lower CCs. Had a cow fail for a full month after withdrawal date passed. Took the tank out twice as we had the bad luck of a Sat & Sun test so we failed the second by the time we heard about the first! Used it again on the same cow the following dry period & guess what, she held it in her milk for nearly another month over!! Was watching for it the second time & we had her tested every 3 days. Now only use Ubro Red just because it has a really short withhold time & clears the udder in a few milkings. Cell count averages 100-120/year so no major issues there but always teat seal too.