Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Arla

Re: Arla

Quote Originally Posted by DairyFarmer111 View Post
    Still a very good price though. Many of us will be relieved if our jan price starts with a 2.
    http://www.dairyco.org.uk/news/news-...2/#.VJqMeUI8IE

Not a disaster just yet with a base price still in mid 20s

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    How do you know the money isn't getting into the wrong hands and destroying markets creating cartels etc etc look at what happened in Zimbabwe

Give the produce to the current suppliers obviously - they retain market but have cheap produce to sell cheap... like I said I'm no expert but doesn't seem that difficult - and bonus is hungry people get very cheap food!

by the market I did not mean current suppliers I meant the farmers with a few cows who supply any surplus to the local markets. small scale entrepreneurs. all you will do by "dumping" will be to impoverish more people. just like we did/do when we send clothes to impoverished nations put small scale clothes makers/menders out of work.
    brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by lazy farmer View Post
    by the market I did not mean current suppliers I meant the farmers with a few cows who supply any surplus to the local markets. small scale entrepreneurs. all you will do by "dumping" will be to impoverish more people. just like we did/do when we send clothes to impoverished nations put small scale clothes makers/menders out of work.
    brilliant
    I was basing the thought more on countries where food is actually an inhibitor to their economy moving forward, where people need sustenance, I know we sit in our ivory towers and don't think places like this exist, but they do! I think we could do better.

I kinda new this would become a talking point over what this particular thread is really about - the failure and damn right lies ARLA made a few months back! Just go back through these posts (and read your own words)!!!!

I know no one has a crystal ball but shouldn't you be thinking of trying to make some of these more difficult ideas work rather than having the 'That wont work' Attitude!

I kinda new this would become a talking point over what this particular thread is really about - the failure and damn right lies ARLA made a few months back! Just go back through these posts (and read your own words)!!!!
    Except, inconveniently, that going back through the posts there is nothing to back your accusation that Arla have lied. I am sure there are many views on wether Arla is a failure. I am sure there aren't many other milk buyers I would be willing to trust in the current market. Arla is not at financial risk, will buy all my milk and will not give me notice. My average milk price for 2014 is the highest I have ever had and has been above the average Defra price for UK milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer on a bike View Post
    Except, inconveniently, that going back through the posts there is nothing to back your accusation that Arla have lied. I am sure there are many views on wether Arla is a failure. I am sure there aren't many other milk buyers I would be willing to trust in the current market. Arla is not at financial risk, will buy all my milk and will not give me notice. My average milk price for 2014 is the highest I have ever had and has been above the average Defra price for UK milk.

OK none of what is on here is direct from ARLA but look at things like management Salaries quoted on here, or what people were told was going to happen to the UK market... I wish you could hear what the farmer rep told me, then threatened me with when I handed my notice in.... and the promises he made!

2014 price being the highest, that did make me laugh, just shows how bad it has been for all the years before!!! - come on get real, I was with MilkLink then Arla do you REALLY believe that your price on average has EVER been the best?

I'm not saying they are any worse than other CO-OPS, possibly one of the better ones, just unfortunately got a bit head strong during the Arla Milklink merger!

Personnally I'm getting more for my milk right now, will that be forever who knows?

Trust me I find it annoying more than anything as I strongly believe ARLA have the power to make a difference

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good xmas. Trying to put bugets together for this year, do youi think the Arla janurary price is the bottom or do you think we have a bit more to go yet? Another question, FOAB may know this one, for those of us on channel island or manurfacturing contracts will the 13th payment be based on our milk solids or litres as we're quoted at the moment? Your thoughts?

Hoping for a happy, healthy if not too prosperous new year.

Got a bit to go yet. If there is a surplus of milk now just wait until the spring calving boys start!

HH

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop View Post
    Hi everyone, hope you all had a good xmas. Trying to put bugets together for this year, do youi think the Arla janurary price is the bottom or do you think we have a bit more to go yet? Another question, FOAB may know this one, for those of us on channel island or manurfacturing contracts will the 13th payment be based on our milk solids or litres as we're quoted at the moment? Your thoughts?

Hoping for a happy, healthy if not too prosperous new year.
    13th payment should be based on solids, I am not aware it will be any different in UK.

I'm gobsmacked!

Dairy farmers threaten Arla protest
    http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/dairy-farm...a-protest.htm#
    David Handley, chairman of Farmers For Action (FFA), said Arla Foods had been told it would be shut down “within a fortnight” if there was a further price cut.

It's astounding that Farmers For Action would threaten to blockade another farmer's business!
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Why does this not surprise me......

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    I'm gobsmacked!

Dairy farmers threaten Arla protest
    http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/dairy-farm...a-protest.htm#
    David Handley, chairman of Farmers For Action (FFA), said Arla Foods had been told it would be shut down “within a fortnight” if there was a further price cut.

It's astounding that Farmers For Action would threaten to blockade another farmer's business!
    Some are desperate and taking direct action, via the FFA, is better than doing nothing and having to listen to the NFU making a very poor fist of a critical moment in time to a lot of businesses

The problem is, being shouty and stamping his foot and saying how it's all very unfair is what Mr Handley does best. In fairness it generally works for the french, but the current problem, whilst the supermarkets are undoubtedly not helping matters is primarily caused by oversupply on the World market, no amount of shouting or fist waving or hanging around outside dairies with a convoy of shiny farming kit that cost more than many people's houses will change that. The only resolution they could hope for in that direction is some sort of government intervention, and whilst such things might happen in france, how likely do they think such an outcome is in this country? (or for that matter, how well would it be received by the general public?)

The NFU have been abysmal in the media, but unfortunately Handley wasn't much better when he was on the Today programme with the NFU chap, and even with a friendly interviewer virtually begging them to get their point across, they failed to make much impact. All they can do its trot out the "milk is cheaper than bottled water" line, which whilst it is illustrative of how milk has been devalued, and of the farcical nature of this situation, as a stand alone point it eventually elicits the response "well so what?".

What they need to do is think about what this point actually means. Milk is cheaper than a product that people have been persuaded to buy, for 50p to a quid per litre, which they could get exactly the same stuff out of the tap for less than a penny.

Now that's what you call added value. As farmers we either have to accept that our product is a raw commodity and hence subject to the ups and downs of the market and find a way to live with this, or we have to find ways of adding value to it and insuring that this added value is passed back fairly to producers. Easier said than done i know, but unless some way is found of doing this, then traditional small scale family dairy farms aren't going to be viable for many producers.

What FFA would be better doing is to protest in ways that raise awareness of the problem in the general public, and use this awareness and the genuine sympathy that many consumers do have for farmers to lobby for greater fairness in the retail sector, possibly some sort of fair trade scheme but one where the benefits are passed back evenly to all producers rather than limited to a select few chosen suppliers.

All of that is a tall order, but if people can be persuaded to pay good money for bottles of something which is piped into their houses for next to nothing, surely it's not beyond the wit of man to get them to pay a few pence extra for milk?

We have little to no effect on the price - AND whilst I admire the farm I saw on the news the other night (Heart Farm?) it looked good clean and tidy, the problem is that they then switched to a housewife in a big farm house, all dolled up in front of a gold topped Aga, nice big kitchen, claiming poverty.... Come on how do you think 90% of the population are going to look at that....

P.s. I don't think we should waste any more time protesting and stomping feet, what we should do is funnel that money and energy into raising awareness of the benefits of Milk and associated Dairy products, there is far too much miss information which is degrading the Dairy Market!

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    The problem is, being shouty and stamping his foot and saying how it's all very unfair is what Mr Handley does best. In fairness it generally works for the french, but the current problem, whilst the supermarkets are undoubtedly not helping matters is primarily caused by oversupply on the World market, no amount of shouting or fist waving or hanging around outside dairies with a convoy of shiny farming kit that cost more than many people's houses will change that. The only resolution they could hope for in that direction is some sort of government intervention, and whilst such things might happen in france, how likely do they think such an outcome is in this country? (or for that matter, how well would it be received by the general public?)

The NFU have been abysmal in the media, but unfortunately Handley wasn't much better when he was on the Today programme with the NFU chap, and even with a friendly interviewer virtually begging them to get their point across, they failed to make much impact. All they can do its trot out the "milk is cheaper than bottled water" line, which whilst it is illustrative of how milk has been devalued, and of the farcical nature of this situation, as a stand alone point it eventually elicits the response "well so what?".

What they need to do is think about what this point actually means. Milk is cheaper than a product that people have been persuaded to buy, for 50p to a quid per litre, which they could get exactly the same stuff out of the tap for less than a penny.

Now that's what you call added value. As farmers we either have to accept that our product is a raw commodity and hence subject to the ups and downs of the market and find a way to live with this, or we have to find ways of adding value to it and insuring that this added value is passed back fairly to producers. Easier said than done i know, but unless some way is found of doing this, then traditional small scale family dairy farms aren't going to be viable for many producers.

What FFA would be better doing is to protest in ways that raise awareness of the problem in the general public, and use this awareness and the genuine sympathy that many consumers do have for farmers to lobby for greater fairness in the retail sector, possibly some sort of fair trade scheme but one where the benefits are passed back evenly to all producers rather than limited to a select few chosen suppliers.

All of that is a tall order, but if people can be persuaded to pay good money for bottles of something which is piped into their houses for next to nothing, surely it's not beyond the wit of man to get them to pay a few pence extra for milk?
    You make some good points that few would argue with but to me you also represent what is wrong with our industry. It is all they , them , someone else should. Not a word about you and what you are going to do. I was on the dairy board when Rob was just starting out on the path to where he is now and believe me he is the best there. I dropped out eventually because the demands were too great for me to run a one man farm , stay married and do a good job for the NFU. Only farmers would expect another farmer to give up all the time he has for £350 a month , be open to criticism from all while happily paying consultants good knows what for bugger all.
    Don't forget politics in all this while you are putting the world to rights. The MMB was taken away from us, some of us formed a co-op big enough to make a difference (did you join it?) then it was taken away as well. The one we were left with went bust with another doing its best to join it. It breaks my heart to think of the millions that have been taken out of the industry and wasted on failed execs, pensions, receivers fees etc and the good it could have done.

P.s. I don't think we should waste any more time protesting and stomping feet, what we should do is funnel that money and energy into raising awareness of the benefits of Milk and associated Dairy products, there is far too much miss information which is degrading the Dairy Market!

Absolutely. Its all about selling. We need to sell dairy like cocacola sells coke.

Quote Originally Posted by DairyFarmer111 View Post
    Absolutely. Its all about selling. We need to sell dairy like cocacola sells coke.
    And how many Coke's are there? one. Coke is a unique product, milk is , well, milk. Milk from here , milk from there , milk from bloody everywhere. Coke is I think produced under licence from a protected recipe, dairy farmers queue up to tell people how they do it in the press giving out margin details to anyone that asks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    Some are desperate and taking direct action, via the FFA, is better than doing nothing and having to listen to the NFU making a very poor fist of a critical moment in time to a lot of businesses
    Are they so desperate that they would ask FFA to disprupt their own business? That's just plain crazy!

It appears there are some Arla members ... who have decided to join a coop, are paying levy every month in order that they can belong to the coop, who are now joint owners of that coop & all that processing facilities & associated dairy brands adding premium to their milk ... have asked for FFA to blockade 'their own business' & even threaten to shut it down!

Absolutely crazy, unbelievable, totally astounding!

I can only think that these Arla farmers just don't understand what they're paying into? They mustn't understand the basic principles of belonging to a coop?

It's open knowledge that the Arla milk price is worked out by a formula, it's not based on the whims of a processor who can play games with it's farmers & the opposition when it decides if or not to change it's milk price.
    As Jonathon Ovens says in the FW article “We look at what we are selling the milk for, we then do the calculation as to how many litres, and we then arrive at the price which we can pay for that milk going forward in February.”
    Arla members know (or should!) that their milk price has little connection with the normal UK milk price calculations, it's a European milk price. We understand there'll be times when we'll get less ppl than everyone else (but cynically I'm guessing UK milk buyers will strive to follow the price downwards) & hopefully, there'll be times our ppl is more (when UK milk buyers will suddenly point out that that's because Arla's is a European milk price)

Astounded too that David Handley doesn't believe what every market analyst is saying, that the problem isn't anything to do with a worldwide overproduction of milk.
    His argument about the balance of imports & exports is just too simplistic.
    You can't just swap the litres worth of milk being imported into the UK with the over extra/production here. That would mean asking the public to stop eating their Yoplaits, Danones, Muller Corners, etc & ask them to basically drink liquid milk, butter, milk powder. We just don't have the range of those processing facilites in this country ... or the brands, with their followers.

Those Arla farmers should concentrate their time & energy into promoting the Arla brands that their milk goes into.
    They then have the capability of directly & positively affecting their milk price.
    To do anything else is suicide!

Quote Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
    You make some good points that few would argue with but to me you also represent what is wrong with our industry. It is all they , them , someone else should. Not a word about you and what you are going to do.
    with respect, we're commenting on what the FFA propose to do in response to the current situation, and in that context i don't think it's unreasonable to point out what i feel they're doing wrong and say what i think they should do instead. At least this is constructive criticism, the people who represent what's wrong with the industry are those who think sitting outside a processing plant, particularly one owned by their fellow farmers, in a brand new fendt is the answer to the current situation.

I was on the dairy board when Rob was just starting out on the path to where he is now and believe me he is the best there.
    I don't doubt his commitment or integrity, however there's been a massive failure to engage positively with the media on this issue, this isn't the first time this has happened either, PK was trounced on newsnight by Brian May, they need to learn from their mistakes, get some proper media training and some better arguments.

I dropped out eventually because the demands were too great for me to run a one man farm , stay married and do a good job for the NFU.
    This is really the nub of the problem with NFU politics, anyone who's an active 'grass roots' farmer is likely to be too busy to get involved at the level that would get them any sort of influence within the organisation.

Only farmers would expect another farmer to give up all the time he has for £350 a month , be open to criticism from all while happily paying consultants good knows what for bugger all.

Don't forget politics in all this while you are putting the world to rights. The MMB was taken away from us, some of us formed a co-op big enough to make a difference (did you join it?) then it was taken away as well. The one we were left with went bust with another doing its best to join it. It breaks my heart to think of the millions that have been taken out of the industry and wasted on failed execs, pensions, receivers fees etc and the good it could have done.
    I did join milk marque and stuck with them at great detriment to my milk price over what i could have got elsewhere until they finally shafted me good and proper by assuring me they wanted my organic milk then turning round and telling me they weren't going to bother with organic milk after all a week before my full conversion date.

whilst the govt and the OFT may have driven the final nail in the Milk Marque coffin, a combination of farmers looking to their own short term interests above the long term interests of the industry as a whole and appalling bad management by a top heavy management team made up of stuffed suits from the MMB gravy train had already driven the other nails in for them. As someone said to me at the time, if MM is a monopoly, it must be the least successful monopoly in the world.

Barry Wilson warned of the likely problems 20 years ago:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...arque-1.762294

but all of this is irrelevant, the situation today is what it is, and we have to find a way to deal with it one way or another. you asked above what i was doing, well i've taken steps to add value to my milk, and i belong to a farmer co op that looks after my interests primarily, now not everyone can do the same as me but adding value to milk has to be an obvious step forward for the industry as a whole, and i'd be happy to give up what time i could to any initiative that worked towards such an aim. I've taken part in the protests to support other farmers, but i'm not prepared to do this when it's patently counter productive.

Are they so desperate that they would ask FFA to disprupt their own business? That's just plain crazy!

It appears there are some Arla members ... who have decided to join a coop, are paying levy every month in order that they can belong to the coop, who are now joint owners of that coop & all that processing facilities & associated dairy brands adding premium to their milk ... have asked for FFA to blockade 'their own business' & even threaten to shut it down!

Absolutely crazy, unbelievable, totally astounding!

I can only think that these Arla farmers just don't understand what they're paying into? They mustn't understand the basic principles of belonging to a coop?

It's open knowledge that the Arla milk price is worked out by a formula, it's not based on the whims of a processor who can play games with it's farmers & the opposition when it decides if or not to change it's milk price.
    As Jonathon Ovens says in the FW article “We look at what we are selling the milk for, we then do the calculation as to how many litres, and we then arrive at the price which we can pay for that milk going forward in February.”
    Arla members know (or should!) that their milk price has little connection with the normal UK milk price calculations, it's a European milk price. We understand there'll be times when we'll get less ppl than everyone else (but cynically I'm guessing UK milk buyers will strive to follow the price downwards) & hopefully, there'll be times our ppl is more (when UK milk buyers will suddenly point out that that's because Arla's is a European milk price)

Astounded too that David Handley doesn't believe what every market analyst is saying, that the problem isn't anything to do with a worldwide overproduction of milk.
    His argument about the balance of imports & exports is just too simplistic.
    You can't just swap the litres worth of milk being imported into the UK with the over extra/production here. That would mean asking the public to stop eating their Yoplaits, Danones, Muller Corners, etc & ask them to basically drink liquid milk, butter, milk powder. We just don't have the range of those processing facilites in this country ... or the brands, with their followers.

Those Arla farmers should concentrate their time & energy into promoting the Arla brands that their milk goes into.
    They then have the capability of directly & positively affecting their milk price.
    To do anything else is suicide!
    Couldn't agree with you more but there are some desperate people out there (some Arla members, most not - suppliers to First Milk or Freshways for example) who are hanging on to direct action as the last resort. As a veteran of the Holyhead burger party, sometimes direct action does work ... but not in this case!

The trouble is that while I agree it doesnt on the face of it make much sense to picket a farmer owned business, all the rest are following ARLA and to stop the rot they need to hold the price. Yes there is a world market oversupply but when there was an undersupply it took literally months to get our price moving up.

Fact is that most of UK milk goes to liquid market and there is no reason whatsoever to cut the price to the consumer, it wont increase sales, milk is illiquid in response to price to a large extent. The supermarkets cutting price and using as a loss leader and supposedly absorbing the cost is crap. We all know they put pressure on to processors to cut the price and that is what happens. We have hit a big downward spiral and we need out of it soon as there are many people taking advantage of suppliers at the moment.

No it doesn't help that they show farmers with the latest robot set up and automatic everything on the news reports as it doesn't get the message over, but there is very real hardship out there and it will only get worse. How long before we start to get suicides etc linked to the current crisis?

I dont have the answer but I do know that if the supermarkets were to get short on milk we would see an end to the downward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    The trouble is that while I agree it doesnt on the face of it make much sense to picket a farmer owned business, all the rest are following ARLA and to stop the rot they need to hold the price. Yes there is a world market oversupply but when there was an undersupply it took literally months to get our price moving up.

Fact is that most of UK milk goes to liquid market and there is no reason whatsoever to cut the price to the consumer, it wont increase sales, milk is illiquid in response to price to a large extent. The supermarkets cutting price and using as a loss leader and supposedly absorbing the cost is crap. We all know they put pressure on to processors to cut the price and that is what happens. We have hit a big downward spiral and we need out of it soon as there are many people taking advantage of suppliers at the moment.

No it doesn't help that they show farmers with the latest robot set up and automatic everything on the news reports as it doesn't get the message over, but there is very real hardship out there and it will only get worse. How long before we start to get suicides etc linked to the current crisis?

I dont have the answer but I do know that if the supermarkets were to get short on milk we would see an end to the downward spiral.
    Actually, Andy, the fact is less than half of the milk is used for liquid at around 5.3 billion litres (Dairyco Datum), so rather than "most" it's actually less than half (circa 13 billion litres - again figures from Dairyco.)

The major supermarket (or those that have aligned suppliers) won't run short - they've already ring fenced their supply - and there's no shortage of cheese to import - already some 348,000 tonnes is imported (that's equivalent to 3.5 billion litres of milk). Imo the coops are missing a big trick here by drying too much milk for export, and ignoring or failing to impact on the domestic requirement. The chinese market is gone. It's not coming back. They've resolved their own production issues and are now exporting.

For what it's worth, whilst I am a fully paid up FFA member, a global over supply situation is not the time to be protesting - encouraging consumption surely is. FFA show their worth in a rising market when processors are slow to increase prices (even MWD recognise this). Also, I would have no problem protesting at a farmer owned coop in a rising market situation - as they're always at a competitive advantage regarding lower taxation (due to being a coop), can capitalize by drawing on their members, are exempt, so it seems, from much of the Voluntary code of practise and seem to treat their loyal members as second class citizens. Whilst accepting trading conditions are incredibly difficult at the moment, they still seem, even with the above advantages, to be delivering a very poor price compared to their competitors. I think their sale and marketing teams need to sharpen their pencils and venture out from their protected environment.

They are letting you down.

As regards the way forwards - look at your farm from a purely commercial point of view. The answers or the way forward, whilst not perhaps particularly palatable, will become apparent.

I say you just need to think outside the box and realise will any of this price rubbish matter a year from now....???? I would concentrate on being as efficient as possible, promote milk where possible!

We have paid all along for other people to promote our milk, x amount per litre all these years yet still here we are

Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    We have paid all along for other people to promote our milk, x amount per litre all these years yet still here we are
    Exactly why people always end up leaving Co-Ops....

I'm quite happy with the Co op i'm with at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    I'm quite happy with the Co op i'm with at the moment.
    Which Co-Op are you with and what is their basic price?

Are you just happy comparing them to other co-ops?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    I read Andy6480 comment as meaning we've been paying out 0.06 ppl DairyCo levy all these years ...?

If that's so, then I'm sorry but the DairyCo levy doesn't go towards 'milk promotion' but towards improving the technicalities of dairy production - advice, research, training, etc

There has been calls for some of this levy to be diverted towards some general promotion. Total levy is £6.8 million & apparently is too small for meaningful advertising campaign!
    Total advertising spend in dairy last year in UK was £130m.

Which Co-Op are you with and what is their basic price?

Are you just happy comparing them to other co-ops?
    OMSCO, i won't say what the base price is as i might get lynched but you can look it up. bear in mind it's not so long ago that i was getting less than my friend up the road supplying first milk, however even at this time i was happy with how OMSCO was working because they were doing their best in a very difficult market and prevented what could have been a catastrophic collapse by standing up to the supermarkets and shorting the markets by shipping milk to france, they were only able to do this because they have a strong position in the market with over 60% of organic supplies going through them. They've also engaged in a couple of generic advertising campaigns and are actively pursuing alternative markets.

I read Andy6480 comment as meaning we've been paying out 0.06 ppl DairyCo levy all these years ...?

If that's so, then I'm sorry but the DairyCo levy doesn't go towards 'milk promotion' but towards improving the technicalities of dairy production - advice, research, training, etc

There has been calls for some of this levy to be diverted towards some general promotion. Total levy is £6.8 million & apparently is too small for meaningful advertising campaign!
    I'm currently involved with The Prince's Trust Dairy Initiative, which is a very good resource for farmers and run jointly with dairy Co, when we were setting this group up i went round all of my neighbours and asked them if they wanted to take part, none did. if people take advantage of the opportunities Dairy Co offer then the levy is very good value, if people don't it isn't, but that's not really Dairy Co's fault.

I think you will find they are responsible for promoting dairy farming to the public, not doing much of a job it would seem