Thread: Broken collar bone

Broken collar bone

Busted when I hit a good solid wall in Mallorca on my road bike.

Managing ok, tractor round yard fine but still pretty limited. I'm keen to keep moving. Missus wants me sat recovering.

Anyone else been through it? I'm a week on from crash.

Dave

Re: Broken collar bone

one of my mates has done it twice on the same side coming off road bike, it's all about the repair job.. his was botched! and needed redoing!

My sympathies, take it easy!
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Broke mine and went back to work to early. I had it plated a year later then the plate out the year after that. Learn from my mistakes, do not use a hammer for 6 months. Take it easy as much as you can, I know it's easy to say but rushing back will extend you recovery time.
    Best of luck

Have you thought about having it lasered? Recovery time is vastly brought down.

Laser Therapy “Laser” stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Some lasers are used in direct contact with the skin as they produce a divergent beam. Our lasers emit a non-divergent beam which means that they do not need to be in contact with the skin to achieve the same effect as there is no loss of power to the surrounding area. The lasers used in our clinic are 3 W and 5W lasers and so are extremely powerful.
    Research shows that the use of these lasers causes those cells which lay down bone (osteoblasts) to work more efficiently and those cells that eat away at bone (osteoclasts) to work less. We know this because osteoblast activity will produce a chemical called Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) and we can see an increase in the levels of ALP when using the laser. Also, we see a reduction in the levels of Tartrate Resistant Acid Phosphatase (TRAP) which is expressed when there is osteoclastic activity. Therefore, you have more bone forming cells than bone ‘eating’ cells.

There's a local chap just come home in an urn after coming off his bike in Thailand. Count yourself lucky and best wishes for your recovery. I've heard it's a very painful injury.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Never done the collar bone but broke 7 bones in the past. Whatever you do take the doctors advice, if they say rest for 6 weeks do it!!!
    I am 25 and plagued with pains because i never listened, came out of hospital with cast on leg and was lifted in to tractor to spread slurry, had cast on extra 4 weeks because of poor recovery.
    Take it easy, take a break and it will be worth it in long run!

Broke my collar bone twice in same place, but was so long ago cant really remember it was at primary school both times. don't remember it hurting much second time round though? got a lump on the bone now were it broke but no trouble since.

Quote Originally Posted by willly View Post
    Broke mine and went back to work to early. I had it plated a year later then the plate out the year after that. Learn from my mistakes, do not use a hammer for 6 months. Take it easy as much as you can, I know it's easy to say but rushing back will extend you recovery time.
    Best of luck
    Broke mine plus 3 ribs, came off a roadbike as well ! I did too much too early and was still off 9 months later, heed the advice given by Willy and have 6 weeks for reading the books you always wanted to ?

I'd better learn from your experiences. More rest and recovery. Seems the missus is right.
    Thanks, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ballibeg View Post
    I'd better learn from your experiences. More rest and recovery. Seems the missus is right.
    Thanks, Dave
    According to my medical friends and colleagues, it depends very much on the exact detail of the way the break went, on how much you need to avoid stressing it. However, you certainly can do permanent damage by over-stressing a break too soon, so unless your surgeon says otherwise, your missus is probably right, or at the very least is on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    According to my medical friends and colleagues, it depends very much on the exact detail of the way the break went, on how much you need to avoid stressing it. However, you certainly can do permanent damage by over-stressing a break too soon, so unless your surgeon says otherwise, your missus is probably right, or at the very least is on the safe side.
    Your missus is a woman,,, ergo she is always right,,, in this case absolutely right,,, rest up, relax take it easy,,,, as most of the posts have said you'll gain nowt but bother trying to do to much to soon,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

I've broke mine two or three times. Motorbikes.

Anyway give it a good rest until the bones knit together. I didn't and now i have a big lump on my shoulder that can get a bit painful at times.