Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ploughing

Ploughing

What speed are people ploughing at and in what land type? After having a few run ins with the boss for not covering the ground quick enough was wondering what sort of acres an hour/day people are covering and with what size kit.

Re: Ploughing

With a six furrow auto reset at 16 inch I could do 3.5 acres an hour in a good size field in the middle,down to 3 at the headlands.Sandy land but hilly and stoney,could go faster but risk damaging plough.

Covering 25-35 acres a day with 5 furrows on 165hp, lower work rates are when using the furrow press as well @16" furrows. Land varies from light to medium/heavy and everything inbetween, most with lots of sharp flints in it. Speed varies between 6 and 9kph.

It all depends on the field size & shape as doing alot of headlands & corners takes time . Acres done in a day depends on so many different things .

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Covering 25-35 acres a day with 5 furrows on 165hp, lower work rates are when using the furrow press as well @16" furrows. Land varies from light to medium/heavy and everything inbetween, most with lots of sharp flints in it. Speed varies between 6 and 9kph.
    35 acres , yeah right , is that the full 24 hours and a 2 mile long field .

youll find its not just the forward speed that counts , its the time it takes to turn round at the end and the general fucking around that takes up all the time , if your trying to do as good a job as the competition boys your not going to get much done in a day ,its all about getting the balance between doing a decent job and getting the job done , your not long in loosing area covered/hour if your spending a lot of time marking out fields and buggering about round about poles ,and trying to get perfect ins and outs , sometimes its better to learn from your mistakes rather than taking hours working out how to do the job right

Usually plough at about 8k.

Remember doing a 40 acre heavy field, including 5 headlands in one day once. 6 furrows and 180hp. Remember it being a long day though, 7.30 to 10 iirc. 5.5mph.

Quote Originally Posted by RichIH View Post
    What speed are people ploughing at and in what land type? After having a few run ins with the boss for not covering the ground quick enough was wondering what sort of acres an hour/day people are covering and with what size kit.
    What are you getting done in a day. What are you useing. Some men are hard to please. Or maybe he is right and you are dawling .

Done 47 acre one day with 6480 and 5 fur kv sitting about 16 inch stopped to put new skimmer points on at t time and more diesel. Land was very kind and 3 different fields

130hp 5x14,press 3.5 acre hour, average field about 40 acres about 8k,best 38 acres 125hp 7x14 in 7.5 hours usualy about as fast as tractor will pull it,used to go up to 13k

we have a a 40 acre field with 9 headlands & 5 poles which can be ploughed in a 12hr day . Thats with 7 furrows on a 300hp tractor . Mainly heavy land....doing anything between 5 & 8k .

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    we have a a 40 acre field with 9 headlands & 5 poles which can be ploughed in a 12hr day . Thats with 7 furrows on a 300hp tractor . Mainly heavy land....doing anything between 5 & 8k .
    got 4 headlands 12 poles in a 30h one and it gets ploughed and pressed every and sludge every naw and then got so i can get press round them with out getting out of tractor most times naw

I've got an onion at home thats three feet across.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
    got 4 headlands 12 poles in a 30h one and it gets ploughed and pressed every and sludge every naw and then got so i can get press round them with out getting out of tractor most times naw
    i always drop the press off & pick it up on the way bk

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    i always drop the press off & pick it up on the way bk
    all got to be pressed headlands aswell next thing is drill

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Muck View Post
    done better than wat mine did last year

Quote Originally Posted by RichIH View Post
    Ok Rich, bad question
    hope your bossss not on here cos your going to ger a lot of heroes that'l doooo double what you thought was possible in his dreams.

Bit more info required for that one, ie. field size, shape, soil type, gradient also tractor/plough size/width etc.

probably better to ask output per furrow/hour/hp would be expected in a particular soil type.

also autumn or winter ploughing.

Last September we had a field full of tractor and ploughs, even horses and ploughs, they were there all day and never finished the field. Armatures.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

What's your definition of a good job? I mean why bother marking the field or setting the plough right, they just make them adjustable for the fun of it! U may as well take time to plough it right other wise every time u do a job in that field ur gonna regret taking ur machinery over uneven ground

I'd average between 2 and 2 1/2 acres an hour with Deere 6620 and Kuhn 4 furrow reversible set at 14 inch work about 4.5 mph.could go a lot quicker but wear on parts increases a lot.can manage this in pretty much any conditions as well.this is on medium heavy land.could only manage the same in the past with a 6900 and 5 furrow dowdeswell.
    nick.......

Just go as hard as the tractor is fit to pull it if the boss wants output. If he complains when you break something hitting a stone tell him its his fault

Some prefer to see the ground turned rather than thrown especially On heavier land.
    Some bits I plough at 7 k some at 11, depends on ground IMO. As for area it ranges from 45 acres if a lot of smaller fields to 70 on bigger fields, this is with a 9 furrow

I've got one four feet across and it grew in a day with a break at lunchtime......

I generally plough at +/- 8 km/hr . I don't start untill after lunch (do all the stock work in the morning). I am happy enough to do 10 or 12 acres and then go home . Tomorrow comes around all too quick I find.
    This is using a 4 furrow conventional on 110 horsepower 25 year old tractor.

If your boss wants you to drive faster then thats what you'll have to do but advise him the quality of the job will suffer and /or damage is more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    35 acres , yeah right , is that the full 24 hours and a 2 mile long field .

youll find its not just the forward speed that counts , its the time it takes to turn round at the end and the general fucking around that takes up all the time , if your trying to do as good a job as the competition boys your not going to get much done in a day ,its all about getting the balance between doing a decent job and getting the job done , your not long in loosing area covered/hour if your spending a lot of time marking out fields and buggering about round about poles ,and trying to get perfect ins and outs , sometimes its better to learn from your mistakes rather than taking hours working out how to do the job right

No its not smarty pants, its ploughing without a furrow press with the plough opened up to 18" or 20" furrows for over winter ploughing! Even with the press and at 16" furrows its still possible to do 30 acres in a 12hr day in bigger fields, 25 is about the average with several of our fields though when pressing too. We don't have many pit holes in fields and 90% of our fields have no overhead cables so no poles either.

Generally anything from 4 to 5mph (6-8kmh) depending on the field conditions. With a classic MF 6150 and a 4 furrow DP8 can do between 2 and 2.5 acres an hour without rushing or busting things.
    I do prefer to see furrows thrown rather than standing, but I won't push on at any speed just to achieve this. At 4 -5 mph the furrows tend to be thrown quite well anyway.

ill take 2 of them , stick them on a pallet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    No its not smarty pants, its ploughing without a furrow press with the plough opened up to 18" or 20" furrows for over winter ploughing! Even with the press and at 16" furrows its still possible to do 30 acres in a 12hr day in bigger fields, 25 is about the average with several of our fields though when pressing too. We don't have many pit holes in fields and 90% of our fields have no overhead cables so no poles either.
    It isn't hard to achieve big acres how many of you stop for brekie dinner and tea a bet there is a lot that surprising how much of a day that takes out.

Keep it lit and get on!

Time for someone to post a link to the youtube high speed ploughing video.

Quote Originally Posted by saltoun View Post
    Time for someone to post a link to the youtube high speed ploughing video.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=3&theater