Thread: Handley for chairman of Red Tractor

Handley for chairman of Red Tractor

Is it not time we had a farmer who really would represent farmers and not some of the parasites who are unelected and only there for the money ?

When do we get to choose our representatives ? When do they consult us ? When do the even talk to us ? Its all dictated to us you WILL do this and you WILL do that.

You can tell I have my visit in a couple of days and I am PISSED OFF that the bar keeps being lifted and for no benefit to producers.

Re: Handley for chairman of Red Tractor

The word Consult has unofficially changed to mean we have already decided .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Is it not time we had a farmer who really would represent farmers and not some of the parasites who are unelected and only there for the money ?

When do we get to choose our representatives ? When do they consult us ? When do the even talk to us ? Its all dictated to us you WILL do this and you WILL do that.

You can tell I have my visit in a couple of days and I am PISSED OFF that the bar keeps being lifted and for no benefit to producers.
    I used to sit on the RT board on behalf of the NFU, money in it? The farm reps receive nothing other than expenses but the chair is paid.One of the weaknesses of the RT board is that the processors heavily outweigh the farmers by about 10 to 2 so getting anything through that is pro farmer is not easy. On the other hand I once got something defeated because the co-ops came out on my side, implementing unpopular rules is not popular!
    Sadly you are typical of many farmers expecting everything to come to you, why don't you get in touch with one of the reps, Mike Gorton from the NW of England is one, ask the NFU or visit its website it will be there somewhere.

Has David Handley ever done anything for any farmers beyond the dairy sector?

I can think of a lot of people I'd like involved with RT but he's not one of them.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Has David Handley ever done anything for any farmers beyond the dairy sector?

I can think of a lot of people I'd like involved with RT but he's not one of them.

That's a bit bloody rough! David is a man, who in his own time and at his own cost has fought for years for British dairy farming with little support from other dairy farmers, had he had the support he should have had dairying could have been in a better state today.

If farmers had got together and invented the red tractor in the first place they would have been making their own rules and regs , but nobody had the balls to get up and create it so now your being told what to do by your buyers, they had the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    That's a bit bloody rough! David is a man, who in his own time and at his own cost has fought for years for British dairy farming with little support from other dairy farmers, had he had the support he should have had dairying could have been in a better state today.

If farmers had got together and invented the red tractor in the first place they would have been making their own rules and regs , but nobody had the balls to get up and create it so now your being told what to do by your buyers, they had the balls.
    Farmers did create it , in order to have some control and input but, uniquely to dairy RT the processors pay the inspection fees so they have the power. The only real way to take dairy RT back is to pay the fees ourselves. The argument against that was always that the processors get a better deal by block booking the inspections but whether the savings ( which in reality are passed back to producers) outweigh the lack of say is open to debate.

Think bigger.

Boycott the damn assurance schemes.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Think bigger.

Boycott the damn assurance schemes.

Problem solved.
    Farmer rings his dairy 'Hello, I am boycotting farm assurance'
    Processor says ' sorry we don't want your milk and by the way there is loads of milk available, goodbye'.
    The only way to have a real say in RT is to take the scheme back into farmers hands and pay for it ourselves and then try not to let it get pushed to the side as the trade divise their own scheme and force their suppliers to adhere to it.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post

Really? Which bit? FFA have been defended themselves as representing all within the industry but I've not noticed many calls to boycott or blockade slaughterhouses or grain merchants when prices have dropped through the floor. I don't personally believe that achieves much anyway but with RT representing a range of sectors I'd expect fair representation for all rather than someone who has only ever campaigned for one of them.

And lets face it, if farmers made their own rules there probably wouldn't be any at all. The balance doesn't seem to be right at the moment but the validity of any assurance scheme relies upon the consumer having confidence in the scheme. Unfortunately this means that the consumer has to rely upon someone to set the rules for them and rather unsurprisingly this often turns out to be the supermarkets and other "interested" parties, hence I guess why farmer representatives find themselves outnumbered.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Really? Which bit? FFA have been defended themselves as representing all within the industry but I've not noticed many calls to boycott or blockade slaughterhouses or grain merchants when prices have dropped through the floor. I don't personally believe that achieves much anyway but with RT representing a range of sectors I'd expect fair representation for all rather than someone who has only ever campaigned for one of them.

And lets face it, if farmers made their own rules there probably wouldn't be any at all. The balance doesn't seem to be right at the moment but the validity of any assurance scheme relies upon the consumer having confidence in the scheme. Unfortunately this means that the consumer has to rely upon someone to set the rules for them and rather unsurprisingly this often turns out to be the supermarkets and other "interested" parties, hence I guess why farmer representatives find themselves outnumbered.
    Foxbox...... We are hood winked into thinking the consumer wants this !! who speaks to consumers ? Mostly they have no idea what Red Tractor is and therefore it is just another tool to control us. Unless REAL and elected farmers are on the Board we can have no confidence in those who are supposed to represent us there is no structure to Red Tractor its just a Quango out of control !!!

Foxbox...... We are hood winked into thinking the consumer wants this !! who speaks to consumers ? Mostly they have no idea what Red Tractor is and therefore it is just another tool to control us. Unless REAL and elected farmers are on the Board we can have no confidence in those who are supposed to represent us there is no structure to Red Tractor its just a Quango out of control !!!
    Don't you read my posts? Not a real farmer? You need to learn about this industry of ours instead of spouting clichés.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
    Don't you read my posts? Not a real farmer? You need to learn about this industry of ours instead of spouting clichés.
    Why.......... should I, do you read mine ?

Now if I remember correctly, you were telling us all about the extra hoops that you had to meet to keep your price above the main FM members?

So just one question.... Why are you complaining as I'm sure you're still way above the rest of FM producers? At their price, there is reason to complain it has no benefit...

Argyl is an island fm man on about 17p while fm nestle with good bf will be over 30p