Thread: IAE Cattle Pens

IAE Cattle Pens

Anyone got some of these or this
    http://iae.co.uk/agricultural/fixedc...VED%20RACE.pdf

Good, Bad, Could be better?

Re: IAE Cattle Pens

I've got an IAE forcing pen, I already had hurdles etc, so I bought steel box section to make posts to make the holding pens and dosing race. It's been a great investment.
    Make the pen prior to the forcing pen a bit bigger, I made mine 6m x 3m but there's a limit to how many cattle you can have in there and still be able to get the forcing gate open. If you happen to up in the Highlands you can pop in for a look.......

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy Dug View Post
    I've got an IAE forcing pen, I already had hurdles etc, so I bought steel box section to make posts to make the holding pens and dosing race. It's been a great investment.
    Make the pen prior to the forcing pen a bit bigger, I made mine 6m x 3m but there's a limit to how many cattle you can have in there and still be able to get the forcing gate open. If you happen to up in the Highlands you can pop in for a look.......
    Not till October calf sale time.

Got a price from IAE but ended up with my own design and just bought off them some gates and full access crush, then bought race and crowding tub from http://www.mepengineering.co.uk/ this was a better build then IAE.

I got some Ritchie pens in the end. Very pleased. Even more pleased with the back up and assistance I have had with modifications and additions I have made several years later.

Quote Originally Posted by beefer View Post
    Got a price from IAE but ended up with my own design and just bought off them some gates and full access crush, then bought race and crowding tub from http://www.mepengineering.co.uk/ this was a better build then IAE.
    Looks a good job, what sort of money is the crowding tub?
    Did you compare it with a Ritchie stock cube which would be another option?
    I'm going to make a new handling facility this year and thinking of this type of thing with a fixed crush/race.

That woman in the purple wellies is right in the way there
    Does the stockboard make it cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by crofteress View Post
    That woman in the purple wellies is right in the way there
    Does the stockboard make it cheaper.
    Stockboard looks well New but warps and busts fixings in the sunlight and looks like nothing after a few years unless it's going inside or very shaded. I'd be wanting steel plate welded on for a long term job.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    I got some Ritchie pens in the end. Very pleased. Even more pleased with the back up and assistance I have had with modifications and additions I have made several years later.
    +1

We are still really pleased with our Ritchie system, it's not been in as long as Nick's but it looks like new (or would if you washed the muck off). Ours is galv sheeting and indoors; we've in-filled a few bits with stockboard ourselves and even though it's out of the sun the stuff warps like hell in the summer. There's a thread kicking about on here somewhere if anyone is looking for examples of the Ritchie stuff.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Whilst I'm very pleased with my Ritchie crush I've modified it extensively some ideas I've copied from their newer versions and others they have still to invent. I would however rather buy something that is right first time.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    Whilst I'm very pleased with my Ritchie crush I've modified it extensively some ideas I've copied from their newer versions and others they have still to invent. I would however rather buy something that is right first time.
    Which Richie crush have you got? I'd be interested to see what you've done with it if you could post some pictures? We've got a Ritchie crush on the front of our system; it does everything we want of it but wouldn't suit everyone for sure.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Which Richie crush have you got? I'd be interested to see what you've done with it if you could post some pictures? We've got a Ritchie crush on the front of our system; it does everything we want of it but wouldn't suit everyone for sure.
    I've a fairly standard orange crush with auto headlock, weighing platform, foot trimming gear. Cut side doors in 2 as is now standard and fitted swing round light for foot trimming and caesarians, also have an electric hoist on a frame above it to lift out a calf through the side.

Got my race pretty much complete now, followed the bud box design and had all the gates made up by Mole Valley Engineering to spec. I have still got a few refinements to make but major improvement on putting gates together. I looked at MEP, Nick Howgills gear and IAE. If I hadn't gone down the Bud Box route think I'd have gone for the MEP sweep but with some refinements. Not sure about the Stock Cube, handy if you need to move it about though.

I'm currently looking at a Priefert crush, Kitt Agri stock them, http://www.kittagri.com/index.php/pr...nd-accessories,

Loads of videos on Youtube makes them look good, plus compared with some of the UK crushes they seem quite reasonably priced. I was talking to my vet about crushes and he said some squeeze crushes cattle go down in because they squeeze in the wrong place, he didn't know the Priefert crush but I am going to ask the rep whether there is anyone locally where I can see one in action.

chap i deal with has some old stock richie crushes in at very keep prices, 3K i think.