Thread: Red Tractor Dairy & Minor Beef Assurance

Red Tractor Dairy & Minor Beef Assurance

During a recent RT Dairy Assurance assessment, we were informed that we would be covered for the odd cull we have under "Minor Beef" and would get a sticker to attach to the passport of the cull(s). Sent an animal to Pickstock in Telford today only to be informed that Minor Beef doesn't cut it and we have been penalised 30p/Kg for not being "Beef Assured". Something stinks here .........

Re: Red Tractor Dairy & Minor Beef Assurance

I got told there is some new assurance required too!

I have my Dairy/combinable crops check coming up, the inspector asked if I wanted to add assurance for barroners etc (can't remember what he called it.... He did say there wasn't much to add being that I meet and Exceed the Dairy Farm Assurance standards....

The whole aspect of farm assurance is a mess. It was started by the NFU in Scotland with FASL (Farm Assured Scotch lamb).

This was followed closely by the arable side of NFUS who introduced cereal assurance.

Not wanting to outdone by the Scots, the NFU in England and Wales started their own assurance scheme, and on the livestock
    side it was encouraged as a means of re-employing redundant MLC staff.

It obviously received support from supermarkets, but not once was there any evidence that the general public had or have any remote interest
    in it, although surveys can attempt to prove otherwise by acting leading questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    During a recent RT Dairy Assurance assessment, we were informed that we would be covered for the odd cull we have under "Minor Beef" and would get a sticker to attach to the passport of the cull(s). Sent an animal to Pickstock in Telford today only to be informed that Minor Beef doesn't cut it and we have been penalised 30p/Kg for not being "Beef Assured". Something stinks here .........
    What age was your animal?

As far as I'm aware, the 'minor beef' category is for if you sell only cull cows and you have less than 10 animals sold over 6 months reared for beef ..?
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    What age was your animal?

As far as I'm aware, the 'minor beef' category is for if you sell only cull cows and you have less than 10 animals sold over 6 months reared for beef ..?
    About 4 years old. We only sell a few culls - certainly less than 10 over a 6 month period - but if we have to pay another 150 to be Beef Assured then something is not right as we pass all the dairy stuff.

I fully intend to raise this with NFU & Red Tractor as a matter of some urgency as we were told explicitly by the inspector that "Minor Beef" would cover our culls.

I assume other dairy farmers (who don't raise beef) may be in the same boat?

As primarily dairy farmers, we paid about 40 for what sounds like the 'minor beef' - covering cull cows, baby calves and up to I think 10 fat animals. Our stickers just say beef not minor beef and I've not been aware of any price penalties.

Had our Dairy/Beef/Combinable Crops inspection today, passed them all easily (zero Action Points too). Will be interesting to see what arrives on the stickers etc!

So Farm Assurance checks all done - reports done etc no action points - but call from the company and on top of the Dairy Assurance already paid for, and the Combinable Crops Assurance also already paid for, I Have had to Pay for the Beef Assurance 160.....

Quite Annoyed!

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    So Farm Assurance checks all done - reports done etc no action points - but call from the company and on top of the Dairy Assurance already paid for, and the Combinable Crops Assurance also already paid for, I Have had to Pay for the Beef Assurance 160.....

Quite Annoyed!
    This is getting to be a massive con.
    Why is it beyond the wit of man to have "Whole Farm Assurance" which covers the farmer for all his/her selling activities? God knows, there are enough assurance companies out there taking money off us

Just a quick update having complained to PAI Kiwa about this.

Had a nice shiny certificate in the post now accrediting us for beef ....... and lamb!

Quite Annoyed!
    Why? Do you sell less than 10 animals, over 6 months old, reared for beef ..?
    If no, then I don't see why you'd have to pay out for the full Beef Assurance scheme.

Are you & Baldrick checked by the same assurance company?
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

I'm told the Dairy Assurance doesn't cover for the FABBL premium on Barron Cows....?????

My Assessor from SAI Global

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    Just a quick update having complained to PAI Kiwa about this.

Had a nice shiny certificate in the post now accrediting us for beef ....... and lamb!
    Did you have to pay anything? (I'm assuming you are Dairy Assured already)

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    As primarily dairy farmers, we paid about 40 for what sounds like the 'minor beef' - covering cull cows, baby calves and up to I think 10 fat animals. Our stickers just say beef not minor beef and I've not been aware of any price penalties.
    Joules, which company was this??

Likewise I only sell young or Barron, but was charged 160 by SAI Global for the privilege!

Did you have to pay anything? (I'm assuming you are Dairy Assured already)
    Not as far as I'm aware. Yes, dairy assured and now it seems beef & lamb assured too c/w stickers. Be interesting to see what happens next time I send a cull off.

I'm afraid assurance schemes stink of FIFA to me. You could belong and conform to every damn one of them but when the buyers find they can source a cheaper product from the other side of the globe, they drop us faster than you can say, Little Red Tractor. Do FABBL, FAWL and all the other assurance schemes kick up a fuss when they see this happening?
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

I'm told the Dairy Assurance doesn't cover for the FABBL premium on Barron Cows....?????

My Assessor from SAI Global
    That's your problem, right there. SAI Global are incompetent, switch to NSF (your milk buyer will probably specify a default assurance provider but you can opt out and have whoever you want.) NSF appear competent, more consistent and apart from anything a much better firm to deal with overall.

Didn't renew my Beef & Lamb and arable with SAI Global this year, went with Acoura who does the Dairy for Arla. Just had the inspection for all 3 this week in one inspection. Much more practical approach than SAI Global.