Thread: New slurry lagoon

New slurry lagoon

We are looking at digging a new lagoon for pig & cow slurry, we are on heavy clay, do we still need to line it, do I need pp & do I need to inform the EA? (Capacity will be approx 250000 gallons).

Re: New slurry lagoon

fairly sure you will need planning, fairly sure EA will need to know, good luck
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Don't you mean, you need to make a few repairs to the existing one!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by dairyboy View Post
    We are looking at digging a new lagoon for pig & cow slurry, we are on heavy clay, do we still need to line it, do I need pp & do I need to inform the EA? (Capacity will be approx 250000 gallons).
    Some info on page 12 http://www.dairyco.org.uk/resources-.../#.VXFVQ1KXcSU
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Quote Originally Posted by dairyboy View Post
    1) Clay lining is fine IF it is impermeable ie blue clay. You may find that when you dig down you break through the clay deposits.
    2) You'll most likely need planning as you are looking to store 1136 cu.m (plus you will need 750cm of freeboard plus an allowance for direct rainfall & any other potential dirty water entering the lagoon) so it appears that you'll be over the size allowable for permissible development unless you can go very deep (>4m)

3) You need to inform EA via a WQE3 form ( https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...281_1d0169.pdf) at least 14 days prior to using your lagoon (even if you are enlarging an existing structure).

4) Don't forget to install an underdrain if you do have to line it and even if you don't, it may give you some piece of mind to have a "witness" drain somewhere to check if you have any seepage.

If anyone would like any advice on Farm Slurry Lagoon Liners please visit our website for more information.
    We can help guide you in this process.

https://www.geosyntheticliningexperts.co.uk/linings/