Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dairy protests

Dairy protests

Can some of the South West continent here please drop me a PM when an impending protest is due as I would be keen to attend. I know they are kept very quiet until the last possible moment for obvious reasons, but it would be easier for me to attend if I knew something about instead of being told about it the following day.

Many thanks

Ollie

Re: Dairy protests

Save your time and money IMO

Put the money into Advertising Milk

and Get the processors talking to each other for their own good (so they aren't just the supermarket whipping boys)

Oh and wait for the strength of the pound to change so that transporting the stuff thousands of miles to here, in chilled lorries, isn't cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post

and Get the processors talking to each other for their own good (so they aren't just the supermarket whipping boys)

Oh and wait for the strength of the pound to change so that transporting the stuff thousands of miles to here, in chilled lorries, isn't cheaper!
    Whilst that is all true, I do think the general public are ignorant of how cheap food undermines all agricultural sectors and IF they want high welfare foodstuffs, they need to understand that they should pay a little more for it. Passive protest to raise this awareness cannot do any harm so long at it does not stop the public going about their business.

On the other hand, of course, setting fire to stuff seems to be worth 660m to the frogs ..........

ive heard the local yfc have got involved and are planning on protesting in some of the supermarkets. cant imagine a worse bunch if morons to have on your side

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    ive heard the local yfc have got involved and are planning on protesting in some of the supermarkets. cant imagine a worse bunch if morons to have on your side
    Can't be any worse than some of my neighbors who thought the best way to explain their financial plight to the general public was to drive up and down the A50 at 5mph in their 50K tractors

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    Can't be any worse than some of my neighbors who thought the best way to explain their financial plight to the general public was to drive up and down the A50 at 5mph in their 50K tractors
    yeah thats what i though when i saw all those shiny tractors

I was there at Bridgewater a few years ago when they brought the Wiseman place to a halt. Soon after milk prices were lifted.

If nothing else meeting up with friends and neighbours is better than doing nothing but moaning.

I am not quite sure why the FFA is so quiet? I would have thought it would be all in the press. I have not seen much in the national news about the dairy industry at all.

I think it was last autumn when we attended the FFA meeting at Frome market where David Handley spoke. His take home message was don't produce any more milk as the market won't stand it. I am not sure the farmers of some very large herds at the time who were there were on the same wave length.

How long before milk buyers impose their own quota system?

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    I was there at Bridgewater a few years ago when they brought the Wiseman place to a halt. Soon after milk prices were lifted.

If nothing else meeting up with friends and neighbours is better than doing nothing but moaning.

I am not quite sure why the FFA is so quiet? I would have thought it would be all in the press. I have not seen much in the national news about the dairy industry at all.

I think it was last autumn when we attended the FFA meeting at Frome market where David Handley spoke. His take home message was don't produce any more milk as the market won't stand it. I am not sure the farmers of some very large herds at the time who were there were on the same wave length.

How long before milk buyers impose their own quota system?
    If it wasn't for the FFA, we'd all be sitting on our hands doing nothing but moan as the NFU, FUW etc are pretty useless in organising action but great at hot air.

As for your quota idea, there is already A & B prices in place from some dairies acting as a quota for over production. However these very same dairies were actively encouraging farmer to expand not so long ago and it is worth remembering that the big units are probably suffering more as their losses will be exponentially greater than a smaller family farm

This is what they did in Dumfries last night;

http://www.dgwgo.com/rural-farming-n...carousel-36499

Matey from the supermarker looked flipping cross.

If they would take the milk to a rival supermarket before giving it away to the public then it could be a double edged protest because it would affect sales at that supermarket as well...
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    This is what they did in Dumfries last night;

http://www.dgwgo.com/rural-farming-n...carousel-36499

Matey from the supermarker looked flipping cross.
    Good on them. They are the future of food production and if the short sighted, massive profit making supermarket chiefs can't see that, then they deserve to go hungry.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    If they would take the milk to a rival supermarket before giving it away to the public then it could be a double edged protest because it would affect sales at that supermarket as well...
    Good point
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

... send in the cows
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-33840815

[ good to see there was someone on hand with a cloth, paper towels and a bucket ]

When I saw the last photo of the calf being led in onto the tiled floor, I thought, YIKES, horn and tiles canny be a good combination! Scary.

(RE the group photos outside, its some help when its no lashin).

I'm not much in favour of the protests, but I have to say, if you have tae do it, at least this bunch looks organised and prepared, well mannered and well presented, and has used some thought and imagination in trying to communicate positively with the public - not just a bunch of dirty looking thugs turning up to intimidate everyone.

I'm not sure what to make of it all. :/ They're doing something I guess and only trying to defend their livelihood.

Should we not be targeting those who are bringing in Dutch Milk !!! I hear there is a cheese maker in Lancashire buying Dutch milk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Should we not be targeting those who are bringing in Dutch Milk !!! I hear there is a cheese maker in Lancashire buying Dutch milk !!!
    ... why would he be bringing in Dutch milk when that in the UK is so cheap??

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post

!
    Then stay at home and cut production by 15%

The only thing that will waken the market is half empty tankers

Folk will have to be careful, the word is a young girl has been charged by the PLOD's with breach of the peace for taking a calf into Morrison's in Dumfries !!!

I haven't milked cows for 50 years, and even then they weren't mine. But as a non-milking farmer I can see that the present situation at the producer level is, barring niche markets and all that, unsustainable.

BUT. In my view taking cows into a supermarket is wrong on so many levels. The public are used to clean areas where food is retailed and to them dairy animals, no matter how well they have been scrubbed up, are animals. Dogs except guide dogs are excluded, why should any other type of animal be any different ? And why were youngsters used to lead them round ? We all know, and I applaud, youngsters getting familiar with animals if they are going to eventually farm themselves but look at it from the public's point of view. Would any of them have thought that they were being exploited ?

Why were youngsters leading the cattle round ? To give an "ooh ah" factor to the proceedings ? If so then they were being used.

To some members of the public the whole stunt would not have rested easily in their minds. I know because I have spoken to quite a few. Far better to have kept the stock outside in the car park with huge placards getting the message across with some erudite conversationally literate dairy farmers to explain the position to the public. From interviews on TV and views that I have heard the public, by and large, have sympathy for the industry. Milk producers would be foolish to do anything to jeopardise that position.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post

To some members of the public the whole stunt would not have rested easily in their minds. I know because I have spoken to quite a few. Far better to have kept the stock outside in the car park with huge placards getting the message across with some erudite conversationally literate dairy farmers to explain the position to the public. From interviews on TV and views that I have heard the public, by and large, have sympathy for the industry. Milk producers would be foolish to do anything to jeopardise that position.
    It does seem to have generated a great deal of coverage for the issue, the vast majority of it positive, though.

It does seem to have generated a great deal of coverage for the issue, the vast majority of it positive, though.
    Yes Joe, I can't argue with that. But just imagine what the result would have been if one of the animals had kicked out and caught someone ! A child God forbid. The result would have been entirely different. I actually applaud the youngsters, the farmers, and yes, the bucket lady, but I do hope that it hasn't set a precedent. It could all go horribly wrong. And remember, a lot of those people in the store are the same people who walk across fields and are scared of cows, any animals in fact. Look at their faces, there is a marked concern and anguish on most of them.

I hope the outcome of today's talks are not just a Morrison's contract for 60-100 producers, because that will solve nothing !!

I do hope someone has a plan because we were here just a few year's ago and nothing has changed, the Union's were telling everyone to increase production and they

have a seat at the table, I hope this time they have a real solution !!

What a total waste of time the NFU and FFA are!! Potter is praising Arla and it looks like only Arla producers are going to gain from this and it won't be until October

and its only on liquid milk what about cheese and butter and all the other products the make massive profits on !!

By the time this kicks in hundreds of producers will be on their knees and in dire straights.

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    What a total waste of time the NFU and FFA are!! Potter is praising Arla and it looks like only Arla producers are going to gain from this and it won't be until October

and its only on liquid milk what about cheese and butter and all the other products the make massive profits on !!

By the time this kicks in hundreds of producers will be on their knees and in dire straights.
    Agree. It's going to be interesting to see if the Great British Public will actually put their money where their mouths are ... somehow I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    just imagine what the result would have been if one of the animals had kicked out and caught someone ! A child God forbid. The result would have been entirely different. I actually applaud the youngsters, the farmers, and yes, the bucket lady, but I do hope that it hasn't set a precedent. It could all go horribly wrong. And remember, a lot of those people in the store are the same people who walk across fields and are scared of cows, any animals in fact. Look at their faces, there is a marked concern and anguish on most of them.
    What if one had *messed* then slipped in and done splits and panicked.
    Those not used to cows often act inappropriately around them too.
    Cow outside OK, inside on shiny floor - risky at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    Agree. It's going to be interesting to see if the Great British Public will actually put their money where their mouths are ... somehow I doubt it
    We quit dairy last time it dropped to 15p or whatever (wish done it sooner TBH)
    So are buying milk - you don't go scrutinising how much it is or checking what share of price (they say) goes where.
    All you do is avoid organic and grab a 4 pint bottle if you need it.

The issue is a Economics 1.01 Supply And Demand issue. Too much supply has suppressed the price. End of. Protesting about it makes them look like a bunch of straw chewing yokels.

If they want a floor in the market, they had also better expect a ceiling too. If milk suddenly hit 1/litre I doubt a single one of them would let it go for less than market value to help anyone else out, so why are farmers a special case?

"The UK is only 84% self sufficient in milk, it's an outrage" etc. And? We import oil, electricity, cars, tractors, wheat, apples, all sorts of things, why is milk any different?

"Farmers are going out of business, it's an outrage" etc. And? Businesses fail every day, why is producing milk any different? I suspect every last one of you buys things on price when is is more convenient to do so. When the price of feed falls through the floor, do you offer more? Oil is cheap at the minute, can getting up early (loads of people have early starts) to milk cows be any worse than being in the middle of the North Sea on an oil rig, or in the middle of one of the numerous, unstable oil producing countries to pump oil that is costing more to pump that it is worth?

The trouble farmers have is short term memories in a long term business. When times were good they should have realised it would end and not upped production. They should have just kept on producing what they can sell, ideally a little less, but no, they cranked it up, keep pumping it out girls, we're going to be millionaires. Then the market gets saturated and out come the sob stories.

It's every man for himself in the dairy industry and you're all getting shot.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post
    The issue is a Economics 1.01 Supply And Demand issue. Too much supply has suppressed the price. End of. Protesting about it makes them look like a bunch of straw chewing yokels.

If they want a floor in the market, they had also better expect a ceiling too. If milk suddenly hit 1/litre I doubt a single one of them would let it go for less than market value to help anyone else out, so why are farmers a special case?

"The UK is only 84% self sufficient in milk, it's an outrage" etc. And? We import oil, electricity, cars, tractors, wheat, apples, all sorts of things, why is milk any different?
    Good luck dunking your weetabix in the fresh milk you've imported from New Zealand

"Farmers are going out of business, it's an outrage" etc. And? Businesses fail every day, why is producing milk any different? I suspect every last one of you buys things on price when is is more convenient to do so. When the price of feed falls through the floor, do you offer more? Oil is cheap at the minute, can getting up early (loads of people have early starts) to milk cows be any worse than being in the middle of the North Sea on an oil rig, or in the middle of one of the numerous, unstable oil producing countries to pump oil that is costing more to pump that it is worth?
    I'm guessing the guys on the north sea oil rig will still get paid regardless of what petrol is selling for on tesco's forecourt. The Arab states could also simply turn of the tap and leave the oil in the ground, it's not going anywhere. They're choosing not to do so at the moment because it suits them, as cheap oil fecks it up for their main competitors in the shale gas industry, but that's another story, but either way, it's not a direct comparison.

Why is milk different? First off because it's a food stuff and food security is important. We could i suppose simply import all our food, but it seems a little odd to me that as a country we should spend trillions on updating our nuclear weapons to defend us from Johnny Foreigner, just to hand over to them the control of our most fundamental need. We could also consider the social and environmental benefits of maintaining a healthy rural economy, of which small and medium sized family farms are an essential part, though of course this is just is being a bit soft and puts us in danger of accepting that dairy farms aren't just numbers on a balance sheet but real hard working people who are seeing businesses built up over generations flushed down the toilet due to circumstances largely outwith their control.

Milk is a perishable product, we can't simply import liquid milk when there's a shortage. the vast majority of those being forced from the industry now will not be coming back, they're gone for good and all the specialist knowledge and skill they possess is lost. Replacing it will take years, not to mention the cost of creating all the relevant infrastructure over again from scratch.

The majority of milk produced in this country goes to the liquid market, there's no reason why a sustainable price couldn't be paid for this. It's in no one's interest, the consumer included, for an industry that provides an essential product to be at the mercy of short term volatility.

Economics 1.02: Everyone's got to make a living.

I'm guessing the guys on the north sea oil rig will still get paid regardless of what petrol is selling for on tesco's forecourt.
    Eeeeeer - No.

Aberdeen has many bought to let houses for sale because significant numbers of oil workers have gone home.

A neighbour's son who left the farm to train as a deep sea diver 20 years ago has 4 empty houses (2 still on mortgage) and been made redundant to boot.

We could i suppose simply import all our food, but it seems a little odd to me that as a country we should spend trillions on updating our nuclear weapons to defend us from Johnny Foreigner, just to hand over to them the control of our most fundamental need.
    Incidentally his older brother also left the farm for the sea, Royal Navy to be more precise and spent 3 years as Commander of HMS Vengance and will leave with an excellent pension

https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-bower-obe/28/a19/34a

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vengeance_%28S31%29
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil