Thread: second hand parlour value

second hand parlour value

have been looking to upgrade my old parlour of late due to the time it's taking to milk through it, but having had a few quotes i'm wondering whether it wouldn't be better to bite the bullet and start afresh in another shed and put decent second hand one in. I've got a suitable shed which currently has the old tie up set up still in it, so i'd need to knock the floor out and re fit with a pit etc.

anyway, there's a parlour coming up for sale short quite local to me, not sure of the age but would guess about ten years old Westphalia 8 / 16 direct to line, slie over ACRs, 16 Westphalia electric feeders with metatron (sp?) controllers.

going to have a look at it tomorrow, but have no idea how to place a value on it, i wouldn't think it wants to be much over 2K as te bigger part of thee cost will bee in the bits you can't take with you, ie the concrete and permanent infrastructure.

Any thoughts on value gratefully received.

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Re: second hand parlour value

The way the milk job is going and is likely to remain so I would have thought the value of the S/H parlour would have been its scrap value less the cost to remove. I wouldn't think many folk will be chasing it.
    Just a thought so hope this helps.

Fair point. there'll be some value in the parts i'd guess, the ACRs or the feeders might be of use to someone wanting to upgrade or just wanting spares if they have one the same, but i can't see there being many wanting to buy the whole parlour to put in somewhere else.

Chap near me who was a big holstein man went out of milk last year and had a sale where he sold the parlour as well as the cows, think he'd paid about 80k for his 5 years earlier, including fitting in an existing shed, and it made less than 3K in the sale, the job hasn't improved much since then.

Watch this space, now the Chinese have lifted the single child thing - they'll breed like rabbits and milk will go sky high.....

you heard it here first LoL

P.s. are you sure it's an Organic Parlour?

A more serious reply is - depends which Metatron Controllers and if it has the software link/license etc... You'll have to go look and get a better idea of what setup it is, is the stallwork re-usable, which pulsators, does it include any sort of washdown pump, which milk pump etc etc etc but yeah I would guess around the 2/3K mark, the slide over setup looks pretty dodge as it ages, a swing over would be much better if you can find one!

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    A more serious reply is - depends which Metatron Controllers and if it has the software link/license etc... You'll have to go look and get a better idea of what setup it is, is the stallwork re-usable, which pulsators, does it include any sort of washdown pump, which milk pump etc etc etc but yeah I would guess around the 2/3K mark, the slide over setup looks pretty dodge as it ages, a swing over would be much better if you can find one!
    Thanks for the reply, could have done with some info like that this morning.

no wash down pump, the slide over was just door track, so was simple enough and seemed to work ok, but i take your point, anyway, the answer to the thread question is 2900, and i didn't get it but was underbidder at that, it was allegedly sold to a commission bidder who the auctioneer had sent photos of the parlour to, but it was being sold on behalf of the trustees / landlords of the farm, rather than the farmer and i did wonder if the auctioneers were running me as the farmer who is a genuine sort of chap told me they' had no other interest in it when i viewed it yesterday afternoon.

wanted to go and view it on thursday which would have given me time to ring my dairy engineer, who it turned out also did work for the farmer so would have know the parlour, but when i rang the auctioneer was told i couldn't view till friday afternoon and didn't get back in time to ring anyone. but never mind, there'll be another one another day, i suspect.