Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I don't like it..... It's too damn quiet

Re: I don't like it..... It's too damn quiet

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    No, there's been no reply i'm afraid.

the only other thing i can suggest is that the moderators contact him themselves and say that they're not prepared to run the forum in his absence unless he gives them full editing powers, there's nothing to lose at this point as far as i see it.
    There will be hosting charges and domain name retention fee which I presume are still being paid. Anyone interested in a takeover ?

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    There will be hosting charges and domain name retention fee which I presume are still being paid. Anyone interested in a takeover ?
    Not a hostile one no .Would be happy to chip in a help.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Not a hostile one no .Would be happy to chip in a help.
    Wasn't thinking hostile for a moment. It's just that the site needs a bit of help I think. If Blue has tired of it then maybe pass it on ?

These are the exact reasons the other place appeared. Maybe you should set one up yourselves or join the other.
    Other than that you are flogging a dead horse that has already been flogged repeatedly for a long time.

I'm afraid elvis is correct. By far the best option would be to revitalise this place with the current moderator team having a greater ability to actually run and edit the site, ATM no one can join FFS, what use is that? You'd have the residual good will, such as it is, and the site legacy ie the archived posts and the name recognition of BFF, for what that's worth. IMO that would be the path of least resistance.

However, as you're aware i've been in contact with the site owner, he apparently no longer reads the site, or the admin mails, so i've written a personal letter to him, some of you are privy to the content already but it basically politely voiced what everyone has already said on this thread WRT moving the forum forward, and he hasn't bothered to respond. the will ids there to do something to turn the forum around, but if he won't engage with us at all, we are indeed flogging a dead horse/

The barriers to starting a new forum are relatively low, getting enough momentum to make the forum a 'living' community is another matter though, is there room for a new forum in the market? what do people think?

I would be interested to know what the Mods are thinking ,whether they want post openly or communicate privately to a loyal few of us that they know they can trust is up to them .There might be good reasons why Blue isn't replying which are his own business ,I for one don't want to force anything ,this forum is one of many place one can visit on the internet, sad if it went but not the end of civilisation .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    I would be interested to know what the Mods are thinking ,whether they want post openly or communicate privately to a loyal few of us that they know they can trust is up to them .There might be good reasons why Blue isn't replying which are his own business ,I for one don't want to force anything ,this forum is one of many place one can visit on the internet, sad if it went but not the end of civilisation .
    You're quite right, it would seem he isn't going to respond and i wouldn't press the matter further for this reason. If he chooses not to engage, though that's entirely his prerogative, we are kind of stuffed whatever the reason. But i agree with the rest of your post, it would be unfortunate to see this place drop of the radar all together but it's hardly life or death, in the mean time i too would be interested to hear what the mods' feelings are on this matter.

If Blue is, as someone has inferred, totally un-interested in this site anymore then is there a core of members who would take it on if indeed Blue was agreeable to that ?

Is it possible to see who the Mods. are for this site and to ask them if any/all/none are interested in taking over the site if Blue was prepared to give it up ? Then there could be a cyber meeting on Skype or Yahoo Messenger and some basic principles established. As I wrote earlier, someone will be paying for the hosting and the domain name retention and that isn't a great expense and I would be happy to contribute financially or practically if it meant that the site can go forward.

I have read somewhere that new members are not being admitted and if that is true then it is just plain stupid. This was a good forum once and out of a sense of loyalty I stick with it but if there are no new members coming along then it's doomed to oblivion I'm afraid.

If Blue is, as someone has inferred, totally un-interested in this site anymore then is there a core of members who would take it on if indeed Blue was agreeable to that ?

Is it possible to see who the Mods. are for this site and to ask them if any/all/none are interested in taking over the site if Blue was prepared to give it up ? Then there could be a cyber meeting on Skype or Yahoo Messenger and some basic principles established. As I wrote earlier, someone will be paying for the hosting and the domain name retention and that isn't a great expense and I would be happy to contribute financially or practically if it meant that the site can go forward.

I have read somewhere that new members are not being admitted and if that is true then it is just plain stupid. This was a good forum once and out of a sense of loyalty I stick with it but if there are no new members coming along then it's doomed to oblivion I'm afraid.

Is it possible to see who the Mods are for this site
    http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showgroups.php

I'd like to reply a bit further, but being down here with only my netbook I can't access relevant information. Please bear with me for a couple of weeks, one to get home and another to see what the workshop bench is buried under, then I may reply properly

This situation hasn't developed overnight so a bit longer will not make much difference.

Thanks for that link FF. Regrettably only 66% of Moderators appear to be really active. Having said that, almost certainly nowadays there won't be much to moderate. It depends on what powers have been allocated to the group.

Bump

Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Thanks for that link FF. Regrettably only 66% of Moderators appear to be really active. Having said that, almost certainly nowadays there won't be much to moderate. It depends on what powers have been allocated to the group.
    Zaza,

I didn't have access to this timeline until returning home. Some may remember the early days and it also explains how/when BFF was started

As for Moderators, Cambs Farmer resigned after a couple of years when he become involved in a new business venture, Lee didn't rejoin and Arable farmer got involved in direct drilling and Twitter so there are just the 5 of us left

Farmers Weekly starts FWi forum run by Julian Westaway

Early June 2005 Reed Business Publishing implement their common platform policy by moving FWi to a new server and it never recovered from the "upgrade", crashing & slow the new incumbent Michael Targett struggles to recover FWi's standing

10th june 2005 Many FWi'ers move to the US Ag Machinery Forum and set up a camp while FWi stagnates

30th june 2005 FootsFitter gets banned from FWi for dissent as FWi still struggles

August 2005 Farming-Forum uk starts as an alternative to the now crippled FWi. Soon the name is changed to British Farming Forum and the Union Jack becomes the emblem. It is set up by Blue an ex FWi user who had been playing with forum software prior to this all unfolding

Autumn 2005 "Blue" appoints 3 moderators to help run the forum- SamTM, Footsfitter and Cambs-Farmer . When asked by the members how they were selected Blue posted that "they rowed the hardest helping others find and settle in". Some time later further boards were added and so too were more moderators- 4WD, b slicker, arable farmer, JimF and Lee Sutton

2008 Minor hack and needs users to re-register with stronger passwords
    2009 Forum changes to VBulletin software, Off Topic is dropped as it is time consuming to police and led to a spat between two members that spills over with threats of legal action all round after both were banned.

2010 Blue registers BFF as a limited company to offset any personal risk from threatened litigation

2011 Following an "incursion" some time earlier a couple of BFF members email address are posted on a spammers board by someone openly using his name asking for them to "test the senders security", (these came to light on a simple google search). Investigation ties up said persons IP address to both his post on the spammers board, his login here on bff and it also points to his parents west county homes connection-eventually confirmed by his ISP- Andrews & Arnold no less who offer to disconnect it. Also later that year approaches were quietly made by interested parties to acquire BFF but they are apparently rejected over the question of members private info which is considered non- transferable, possibly subject to the data protection act.

14th February 2013 BFF crashes from what seems to be a major hack through a software loophole. Meanwhile newcomer site The Farming Forum (TFF) appears overnight (ironically as a virtual carbon copy of BFF left over from the previous failed acquisition proposals) it rapidly capitalizes on/adds to confusion to try and corner bewildered Bff members

15th February 2013 an agonising wait begins as new software is installed in a different server location and the wait for BFF's new DNS addresses to become live

16th February 2013 BFF rises from the ashes again. Meanwhile the new startup, TFF is seen to be "manipulating" Google to try and stifle BFF and project TFF wherever and however possible. There is dismay that it is not planned to copy the old postings to the new BFF but eventually some important topics and threads are converted to the new software and imported but the majority are lost because of the time required to do the work.

2014. Bff continues to carry on as it is felt best to let Bff's members build up posts naturally and see if there are people wanting to use it rather than the practice being used elsewhere of moderators/staff generating huge amounts of inane posts and traffic to just fill out and inflate their site.

As for the burning question, there is still no answer yet so please bear with us.

Thank you for that detailed chronology FF. It was much appreciated. But as I understand it at the moment no new members are being admitted. I have used the advanced member search facility on this site and that tells me that the last member to be approved happened on 22/09/2014. There can be no doubt surely in anyone's mind that if that situation can not be amended then the site as we know it is doomed. I also appreciate all of your collective efforts as Moderators for the time and trouble that all of you are putting into trying to find a solution.

I am also about to send you a PM.

As for the burning question, there is still no answer yet so please bear with us
    All we really need Blue to do is to cede more control to yourself and the rest of the mod team, if he's not prepared to so this then as i see it there's not much else we can do other than consider the possibility of starting a new forum that could be run appropriately. The downside is that we'd loose the BFF brand, but at least we wouldn't be reliant on the whims of someone who appears to have lost all interest in the forum

Does anyone know Blue on a personal level? Not through the forum I mean, but personally, able to speak to him directly on a 1-2-1 basis to see if there are any answers to these burning questions. I don't think anyone on here is looking for a row, just reasons as to why we can't move forward.

He only needs to give the current moderators the power to allow new members.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    He only needs to give the current moderators the power to allow new members.
    Agreed as a first move. The ideal situation would be for a group of loyal members to obtain the domain name if Blue would relinquish it. Pop it into a LTD company or even buy the company if it is already an asset of one. I think there are enough loyal people on here who would contribute. I would.

Thanks chaps for all the recent input. Hopefully we can get somewhere.........
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Does anyone know Blue on a personal level? Not through the forum I mean, but personally, able to speak to him directly on a 1-2-1 basis to see if there are any answers to these burning questions. I don't think anyone on here is looking for a row, just reasons as to why we can't move forward.
    Your post has been read & noted.....

Has any mods commented on this thread?

I dont even know this 'Blue' you talk off

Not sure if my thoughts are valid, but I have reduced my forum activity over the last 2 years, mainly down to a reduced involvement from me with farming. Cant say its the same with other members??

I was on or still am a member of other forums, but my top two are here and arbtalk. I also noticed that since I surf on my fone, I'm too lazy to post with it, and as I rarely sit on this computer, posts are non existant. Dont know if thats the same for others???

Im not really a fan of another ag forum. I find it seems to be too far flung from my interests. Much like reading a farmers weekly in college looking at all the shiny kit that we could never justify.

I like this place, maybe its sentimental, but this place is the birth place for me of agricultural discussion. I have learnt so much over the years, met numerous other members, and have done deals with others that to this day are still faceless to me.

I have been watching from a distance, and seeing the place getting so quiet, I partially blame myself for not putting in the effort.

As ever my respect still is there for the mods, for all they do, and I hope that Blue continues or returns to do his magic.

I'm not sure what the range of powers the current active mods have but would it be possible for them to help non-members by reminding them of long lost sign in details that have not been used in years and were deemed inactive. Maybe get folk in the back door, be difficult to make happen I suppose without posting sign in details on the forum.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    I'm not sure what the range of powers the current active mods have but would it be possible for them to help non-members by reminding them of long lost sign in details that have not been used in years and were deemed inactive. Maybe get folk in the back door, be difficult to make happen I suppose without posting sign in details on the forum.
    A good idea but not the right way to solve the problem.
    Not a bad stop gap I guess but make sure you choose members with no pm's or posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    A good idea but not the right way to solve the problem.
    Not a bad stop gap I guess but make sure you choose members with no pm's or posts.
    AFAIK it wouldn't be possible to re allocate dormant accounts because even the admin cannot see the passwords, rightly so.

It's not the solution though even if it was possible. The mods need greater admin powers to validate new accounts and edit the operating system, without this we're stuffed, either we give up and accept defeat or reach a consensus and create a new forum that embodies the best features of this place. I think really we need to bite the bullet and have the mods just ask Blue outright to either give them the required powers or say outright that he won't, we're just wasting time here, the longer this place is left the way it is the further it runs into the ground.

Admin can't see the passwords but they can reset them (assign a new one) otherwise anyone who lost their password would be locked out forever.

I agree it is not really the way forward though.

I know a lot of people who read this forum but never actually contribute to it. Surely if you have time to read others posts you should put forward your own thoughts and help stimulate debait? A crowd attracts a crowd!

I look in here only occasionally these days, since there is so little input, but it seems to me that this forum is stuck in a time warp. I remember several members before the crash tried to suggest improvements all of which were ignored. I know several people who were trying & failing to get registered, some succeeded: others didn't. Now , a couple of years later the situation is just the same, except the traffic is minimal & STILL noone takes any notice of constructive comments from members.
    Stop flogging a dead horse - this forum is essentially dead - just face it. The other forum is flourishing & seems to me to be just the sort of place this used to be , but even better because the admin team listen respond & change. OK there is a lot of banter & quite a few loonies, but the "Ignore" button works well & just don't visit "Off Topic" if you don't want the twaddle.

I don't intend to come across as one of the "jump on the band waggon" types but having been here for a number of years and staying loyal after the "hack" I've noticed how things have changed of late, admittedly I don't post or comment that often but no less often than I ever used to, there is just less to comment on now.
    The one key thing we used to have and seem to be rather absent of these days (apart from new and existing members) is the dealer and manufacturer representation, weather that be openly (like Mr Holden i believe from what was jf) or hiding in the background, as there used to be quite a number on here and one way or another a lot of people got problems sorted via initially voicing the issue here and it getting picked up by the right people

Yorkshire newbie just wanting to say hello to all. Apologies if this is not the correct thread to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Budding View Post
    Yorkshire newbie just wanting to say hello to all. Apologies if this is not the correct thread to do so.
    Welcome to the site Yorkshire Budding. You will find lots of friendly helpful people on here.