Thread: impact gun

impact gun

I've decided its time I got a 1/2 impact gun and was wondering if anyone has any views or experience of either of these 2
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-dtw1002rtj-impact-wrench-18v-brushless-lxt-li-ion-1-2-inch-square-drive-2-p72557
    http://www.powertools-direct.com/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?pdtid=15821998

Re: impact gun

All depends what you plan to use it for. We've had the big and small hilti impact guns, the big and small Metabo impact guns which both claim to be top end quality tool but have worked the all to submission. the only one we keep going is the hilti because the manufacturers warranty is vgood and any repairs carried out has a maximum cost and is guaranteed for 90 days after repair. anything bigger than M12 go for a heavier gun MO
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Quote Originally Posted by agrotron150.7 View Post
    Have had a snap on one for 9 years and the batteries were getting tired but it had done a lot of work. Finally the charger went pop so i replaced it with a milwaukee 18 volt one with 5 amp hour batteries had it 3 months now and its a real piece of kit will undo tractor wheel nuts without cracking them with a bar. Warranty is 3 years on gun and battery as long as you register them all online. Most main dealers around seem to be stocking their products now.

Bought one of these http://www.kielder.co/collections/im...h-2x-batteries
    Very impressive for the money, but more for medium duty applications.

A couple of friends were talking about Ingersoll-Rand and Snap-On air guns - one thing they were noting was the Foot-lbs of breaking strength and the Foot-lbs of tightening strength.

Just something else to consider when looking at a gun.

I don't own one at the moment so was thinking I just as well go for one that will tackle anything with decent batteries, both of these are on the 5ah ones and the fastening torque is between 900 and 1000nm on both and undo torque is over , 1400nm on both.
    Or am I going way over kill with this and be better off going with the millwauquee with the 4ah batteries at 600nm?

I don't own one at the moment so was thinking I just as well go for one that will tackle anything with decent batteries, both of these are on the 5ah ones and the fastening torque is between 900 and 1000nm on both and undo torque is over , 1400nm on both.
    Or am I going way over kill with this and be better off going with the millwauquee with the 4ah batteries at 600nm?
    I suspect those numbers are new guns with perfect batteries - think two years down the road, out in the field with half-charged batteries

Quote Originally Posted by ct28 View Post
    Have had a snap on one for 9 years and the batteries were getting tired but it had done a lot of work. Finally the charger went pop so i replaced it with a milwaukee 18 volt one with 5 amp hour batteries had it 3 months now and its a real piece of kit will undo tractor wheel nuts without cracking them with a bar. Warranty is 3 years on gun and battery as long as you register them all online. Most main dealers around seem to be stocking their products now.

Jumped on the bandwagon last year too with an 1/2" 18v milwaukee on a special offer from FFX in kent who Ace always recommended. Very handy in its self but i also picked up a bare 4" angle grinder FFX had on offer that takes the same 18v batteries- really use it with 1mm cutting discs and can see why they are popular with the lightfingered brigade!

Also invested in a Milwaukee pistol drill- a compact 2 speed non-hammer type that Euro car parts had on offer- mainly for drilling out small studs and fiddly stuff but that also led to picking up a bare 1/4" impact wrench that uses the same batteries- my son in the car trade had been nagging that I ought to get one and now I can see what he means- really useful when there are multipule fixings to undo - the recent freelander job being one. Although like the big ones it needs a bit of respect- best to start by hand even on a 6mm bolt if it goes cross threaded by the time you are aware the damage is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Jumped on the bandwagon last year too with an 1/2" 18v milwaukee on a special offer from FFX in kent who Ace always recommended. Very handy in its self but i also picked up a bare 4" angle grinder FFX had on offer that takes the same 18v batteries- really use it with 1mm cutting discs and can see why they are popular with the lightfingered brigade!

Also invested in a Milwaukee pistol drill- a compact 2 speed non-hammer type that Euro car parts had on offer- mainly for drilling out small studs and fiddly stuff but that also led to picking up a bare 1/4" impact wrench that uses the same batteries- my son in the car trade had been nagging that I ought to get one and now I can see what he means- really useful when there are multipule fixings to undo - the recent freelander job being one. Although like the big ones it needs a bit of respect- best to start by hand even on a 6mm bolt if it goes cross threaded by the time you are aware the damage is done.
    I'm guessing yours would be the 600nm rated one ff? Would you say that is sufficient for most jobs or if available would you have gone for the 900nm one?

I'm guessing yours would be the 600nm rated one ff? Would you say that is sufficient for most jobs or if available would you have gone for the 900nm one?
    Had to dig out an email to find out! Its the 610nm one, came with box, 2 batterys, charger, & wrench from FFX, 300+vat.

The charger packed up recently- kept saying the batteries were duff (it charges both the 1/2 wrench and the smaller ones for the drill & 1/4" wrench) but trying the smaller battery in the charger it came with proved it was the big charger- rang Milwaukee service in Buckinghamshire who replaced it no questions asked. I find the 1/2" wrench is a fair handful weight wise, and it will do loadall wheel nuts on a fresh battery for example. I find it a lot more clumsy than the usual 1/2" air wrench but it can be more powerful than my CP air wrench on the vans 150psi compressor. I found you need to get used to the different way they operate- there is no preset torque like air wrenchs, so you need to be careful in some situations- doing up wheel nuts on cars & defenders- need a quick blip and if the threads are lubricated as they should be it will be enough to spin the nut on up to the wheel and lightly nip it up ready to be hand torqued as it should be. In the hands of the unskilled, its easy to do massive damage by the time you have noticed the change in sound as it goes cross threaded! but with a bit of practice it is possible to use the trigger very lightly and you can drive it quite slowly a bit like a battery drill without the impact action until it either hits home or becomes tight on the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Had to dig out an email to find out! Its the 610nm one, came with box, 2 batterys, charger, & wrench from FFX, 300+vat.

The charger packed up recently- kept saying the batteries were duff (it charges both the 1/2 wrench and the smaller ones for the drill & 1/4" wrench) but trying the smaller battery in the charger it came with proved it was the big charger- rang Milwaukee service in Buckinghamshire who replaced it no questions asked. I find the 1/2" wrench is a fair handful weight wise, and it will do loadall wheel nuts on a fresh battery for example. I find it a lot more clumsy than the usual 1/2" air wrench but it can be more powerful than my CP air wrench on the vans 150psi compressor. I found you need to get used to the different way they operate- there is no preset torque like air wrenchs, so you need to be careful in some situations- doing up wheel nuts on cars & defenders- need a quick blip and if the threads are lubricated as they should be it will be enough to spin the nut on up to the wheel and lightly nip it up ready to be hand torqued as it should be. In the hands of the unskilled, its easy to do massive damage by the time you have noticed the change in sound as it goes cross threaded! but with a bit of practice it is possible to use the trigger very lightly and you can drive it quite slowly a bit like a battery drill without the impact action until it either hits home or becomes tight on the threads.
    I made my mind up today and went for the same one you have ff, and you have confirmed my one concern I had for the bigger 950nm one which was wether it would be too heavy for a lot of jobs, but I did swap the 4ah batteries it comes with for the 5ah ones the big one comes with :-)

I find the milwaukee fuel gun unbelievable.
    Brushless motor 1000nm torque

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere6920s View Post
    I find the milwaukee fuel gun unbelievable.
    Brushless motor 1000nm torque
    I normally work with a 3/4 air impact wrench (Spaldings) and always thought it was ok ,Just out of curiosity I tried tightening the rear wheel nuts on the one I work with , the Milwaukee tightened them an other 1/4 of a turn .

Quote Originally Posted by SMID View Post
    I normally work with a 3/4 air impact wrench (Spaldings) and always thought it was ok ,Just out of curiosity I tried tightening the rear wheel nuts on the one I work with , the Milwaukee tightened them an other 1/4 of a turn .
    I have a cp 3/4 gun and it's 1600 nm.
    Milwaukee seems to be king of the battery stuff