Thread: 16 yearold tractor driver

16 yearold tractor driver

Can anyone tell me what a 16 year old can drive on the road? He passed test 6months ago, can he drive a hedgecutter on a roadside?
    Any help please?

Re: 16 yearold tractor driver

As far as I'm aware yes, there's some rules and regs regarding the towing of trailers but I think mounted implements are all game,
    bestbet rng your insurance co ?? Or VOSA

NB just had a thought, young lad who does a day release at collage n comes to " our fam" has spent the last 3 months hedge cutting on and off all over the place, so must be ok,,by that I mean, for lots of different land owners, he's not 17 u til August
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Thanks for that.

From - http://www.ukdrivers.com/Tractor%20Tests.asp

"Assuming youíve passed, what restrictions are there on 16 year olds?

If you pass, youíll be able to drive any tractor up to 2.45m in width, provided itís not tracked. "

I would get written confirmation from your insurance Co. that they accept that the hedgecutter does not make the tractor more than 2.45m wide.
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    As far as I'm aware yes, there's some rules and regs regarding the towing of trailers but I think mounted implements are all game,
    bestbet rng your insurance co ?? Or VOSA

NB just had a thought, young lad who does a day release at collage n comes to " our fam" has spent the last 3 months hedge cutting on and off all over the place, so must be ok,,by that I mean, for lots of different land owners, he's not 17 u til August
    Just 'coz he's doin' it don't mean it's legal !!!

Should be OK on the field side of the hedge
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    From - http://www.ukdrivers.com/Tractor%20Tests.asp

"Assuming youíve passed, what restrictions are there on 16 year olds?

If you pass, youíll be able to drive any tractor up to 2.45m in width, provided itís not tracked. "

I would get written confirmation from your insurance Co. that they accept that the hedgecutter does not make the tractor more than 2.45m wide.

Should be NO trailers with 20 tonnes on back ???

Quote Originally Posted by Wellie64 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what a 16 year old can drive on the road? He passed test 6months ago, can he drive a hedgecutter on a roadside?
    Any help please?
    Is there a theory part and actual test with the tractor test at 16 please.
    I ask as we got a provisional licence here and don't know the rest of it -I guess online or when you apply for test is it ?
    I passed mine at 16 donkeys years ago -can you still use a grey fergi I wonder ???

16 year old on a provisional license can only drive to their test, taking their test and returning from their test if they fail. As has been said maximum width for a 16 yo is 2.45m and they can only tow a 2 wheeled or close coupled 4 wheel trailer (maximum of 840mm between the centres of the axles on the trailer). The test is a unitary test ie. no separate theory test but they will be given some questions on the highway code as part of their test. Another crazy part of this is that if a passenger seat is fitted, while driving on a provisional license they must have a qualified driver sitting with them, but if there is no passenger seat they must not have anyone with them.

can they go out with a rake tedder ect nothing easy to find

Quote Originally Posted by valtrarule View Post
    can they go out with a rake tedder ect nothing easy to find
    As long as the combined width of the vehicle/implement does not exceed 2.45m yes they can drive it.

Fastracs??

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Fastracs??
    Saw a new one of them, a "3cx" and a "quadtrac" (in a funny shade of red- versatile or Buler??) on the quayside in Fremantle this morning!

And a contractor cutting amenity grass with a brand new 4 pot MF- couldn't spot the model - strange as Kubota is weapon of choice here so it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Saw a new one of them, a "3cx" and a "quadtrac" (in a funny shade of red- versatile or Buler??) on the quayside in Fremantle this morning!

And a contractor cutting amenity grass with a brand new 4 pot MF- couldn't spot the model - strange as Kubota is weapon of choice here so it seems
    What you doing out in Oz ff? I've just come back from three weeks Syd, Bris, Tas. Kubota's popular as you say. Always irritated by choice of pickups and utes - all rhd of course yet never seen a ute over here. Would like to play with an FJ. Have you seen the Isuzu MU-X suv there? Could do with a SWB commercial version of that here to replace my Trooper.

Also, radio ads about developing Australia's agriculture to export more sheep meat etc are interesting. Clearly their economy is affected by downturn in mining, commodities, China etc but seems they still look to Europe to export ag produce.

Out of interest, one farm I visited in Tasmania, circa 7000 acres, Border Leicesters and Black Angus still farmed by great grandson and family of original convict settler who 'inherited' the land after he had served his sentence out.

WH
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    What you doing out in Oz ff? I've just come back from three weeks Syd, Bris, Tas. Kubota's popular as you say. Always irritated by choice of pickups and utes - all rhd of course yet never seen a ute over here. Would like to play with an FJ. Have you seen the Isuzu MU-X suv there? Could do with a SWB commercial version of that here to replace my Trooper.

Also, radio ads about developing Australia's agriculture to export more sheep meat etc are interesting. Clearly their economy is affected by downturn in mining, commodities, China etc but seems they still look to Europe to export ag produce.

Out of interest, one farm I visited in Tasmania, circa 7000 acres, Border Leicesters and Black Angus still farmed by great grandson and family of original convict settler who 'inherited' the land after he had served his sentence out.

WH
    Disappointed you didn't look me up while you were in Tas.

JV