Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31

Thread: minimum wage .

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glamorgan
    Posts
    1,872

    Smile minimum wage .

    Minimum wage goes up today .
    Great if employed -but also NI and pension contributions increase so in reality your hundreds worst off.
    But if your self employed -who worries ? We cant pay ourselves more if nowt there ??.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,818

    Re: minimum wage .

    What do you do when you get someone who isn't worth paying that amount? Could you put that down as a reason for dismissal?

    I saw a few casual workers back when we did iceberg lettuce who were hopeless and would inspire the thought that I was glad it wasn't my business paying them

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    758

    Re: minimum wage .

    You are always going to have them. In some cases it is because they have never had to work or so what they were told to do - if separated from the "lazy ones", these ones can sometimes be taught how to work.

    When you hire someone, always put them on probation and have documented reasons to not continue their employment.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    377

    Re: minimum wage .

    In Scotland we still have an Ag Wages Board, which does not have age related wage bands so the potential is that after our next round of negotiations there will be only two rates, an apprenticeship rate and the national living wage. Who is going to take on a young person at the same minimum rate as an older more experienced one? I have nothing against paying a fair days wage for a fair days work but would object to paying an adult rate to a young person who can't do the same work, at least until they prove themeselves.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: minimum wage .

    A fair days pay for a fair days pay.

    That is only right.

    However has nobody connected todays two news items: Chinese steel and a minimum wage?

    I am not saying that the minimum wage is wrong, but always for decades we have seen the end of industries in competition with slave labour.

    How to get over the problem I do not know. It will always be there especially when as a civilised nation we pay generous benefits.

    Jack Caley

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Minimum wage goes up today .
    Great if employed -but also NI and pension contributions increase so in reality your hundreds worst off.
    But if your self employed -who worries ? We cant pay ourselves more if nowt there ??.
    The minimum wage, pension contributions and scheme change etc, all put in by the government, which is why the Chancellor relaxed business tax rules- so fairs fair.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    667

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Minimum wage goes up today .
    Great if employed -but also NI and pension contributions increase so in reality your hundreds worst off.
    But if your self employed -who worries ? We cant pay ourselves more if nowt there ??.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    The minimum wage, pension contributions and scheme change etc, all put in by the government, which is why the Chancellor relaxed business tax rules- so fairs fair.

    of coarse if your self employed with a business like say a farm, things are far less clear , you might not be paying yourself a minimum wage or putting money away for a pension but there is all those assets that youll be accumulating that will always be worth something at the end of the day

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glamorgan
    Posts
    1,872

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    The minimum wage, pension contributions and scheme change etc, all put in by the government, which is why the Chancellor relaxed business tax rules- so fairs fair.

    What's FAIR ?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glamorgan
    Posts
    1,872

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    of coarse if your self employed with a business like say a farm, things are far less clear , you might not be paying yourself a minimum wage or putting money away for a pension but there is all those assets that youll be accumulating that will always be worth something at the end of the day

    Scrap 15 tonne - lovely pension pot ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    of coarse if your self employed with a business like say a farm, things are far less clear , you might not be paying yourself a minimum wage or putting money away for a pension but there is all those assets that youll be accumulating that will always be worth something at the end of the day
    And if you want to pass on say a farm where does that leave you ?
    Live as if you would die tomorrow. Farm as if you would farm forever.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    667

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    And if you want to pass on say a farm where does that leave you ?
    Live as if you would die tomorrow. Farm as if you would farm forever.
    Normally in the workers cottage after its been done up , still living of the farm income .

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    Normally in the workers cottage after its been done up , still living of the farm income .
    So the farm has to provide housing for me at the expense of much needed accomodation for a genuine fit younger worker in the way that it used to and it also has to provide me with an income when I am no longer able to work as productively as I used to ? Errr.........................I think I can see a couple of holes in that arrangement that that are grossly unfair to those who are coming on to farm as I slow down.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    north
    Posts
    255

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    So the farm has to provide housing for me at the expense of much needed accomodation for a genuine fit younger worker in the way that it used to and it also has to provide me with an income when I am no longer able to work as productively as I used to ? Errr.........................I think I can see a couple of holes in that arrangement that that are grossly unfair to those who are coming on to farm as I slow down.
    Is it your farm and are they buying it off you?

    None of my business but it is a sensible question.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    667

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    So the farm has to provide housing for me at the expense of much needed accomodation for a genuine fit younger worker in the way that it used to and it also has to provide me with an income when I am no longer able to work as productively as I used to ? Errr.........................I think I can see a couple of holes in that arrangement that that are grossly unfair to those who are coming on to farm as I slow down.
    you may be able to see a few holes in that but it happens time and time again
    of coarse you could always build yourself a new house , this will at least get you a new shed , well thats th way its seems to work anyway . usually farmers son get to an age , house needs to be built for them , or they stay in the main house and you move to the new one , 200,000 is the avaerage cost of one of these countless houses ive seen built on farms over the last 10 15 years or so apparently ,witch really goes to show how much bullshyte farmers like to talk when it comes to money . god forbid any poor git that suggests theres farmer out there actually making money ,

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Is it your farm and are they buying it off you? Why would they need to buy it when they will end up with it anyway ?

    None of my business but it is a sensible question.
    .....

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    you may be able to see a few holes in that but it happens time and time again
    of coarse you could always build yourself a new house , this will at least get you a new shed , well thats th way its seems to work anyway . usually farmers son get to an age , house needs to be built for them , or they stay in the main house and you move to the new one , 200,000 is the avaerage cost of one of these countless houses ive seen built on farms over the last 10 15 years or so apparently ,witch really goes to show how much bullshyte farmers like to talk when it comes to money . god forbid any poor git that suggests theres farmer out there actually making money ,
    I can't see the connection between a new house and a new shed ! Perhaps you could enlighten us on that one ? With regard to your 200,000 all that does is show that you have no idea how much building costs are these days.
    witch really goes to show how much bullshyte farmers like to talk when it comes to money . god forbid any poor git that suggests theres farmer out there actually making money ,
    Oh dear !

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,542

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    you may be able to see a few holes in that but it happens time and time again
    of coarse you could always build yourself a new house , this will at least get you a new shed , well thats th way its seems to work anyway . usually farmers son get to an age , house needs to be built for them , or they stay in the main house and you move to the new one , 200,000 is the avaerage cost of one of these countless houses ive seen built on farms over the last 10 15 years or so apparently ,witch really goes to show how much bullshyte farmers like to talk when it comes to money . god forbid any poor git that suggests theres farmer out there actually making money ,
    Care to name the crooked accountant involved?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    667

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I can't see the connection between a new house and a new shed ! Perhaps you could enlighten us on that one ? With regard to your 200,000 all that does is show that you have no idea how much building costs are these days. Oh dear !
    as far as i can make out you build the shed first that seems to get you the planning permision for the house
    you can get a nice house built for 200,000

  19. #19
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    667

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Care to name the crooked accountant involved?
    you dont need a crooked accountant ...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    as far as i can make out you build the shed first that seems to get you the planning permision for the house
    From your avatar I assume that you are from North of the border in which case your planning laws may be different. But here in England there are planning laws and conditions that stipulate whether you can put a shed up or not.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    as far as i can make out you build the shed first that seems to get you the planning permision for the house
    you can get a nice house built for 200,000
    Never ! During the recession you could get something half decent for 125/sq.ft. The current fugures are more than that because builders are not having to chase the work like they were then. The nationals are currently budgeting for circa 120/sq.ft. but of course they have the benefits of operating on a large scale. Just out of curiosity I just made a call to my architect and he tells me that yes, you could get something for 200k but it would be around 1500 sq.ft. and be an extremely basic 3 bedroom "kit house" There would be no frills such as underfloor heating, PV installation, etc. and would be fitted with cheapo UPVC windows & doors, cheapo sanitary ware, etc.

    And are you going to carpet, curtain, and furnish it ?

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,542

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    you dont need a crooked accountant ...
    From your post I assumed that the said house was being built and the cost passed through the books as an agricultural building, on reflection this would be of little benefit.
    Any Farmer with a bought and paid for farm, no borrowings and are half way decent at what they do will have the cash available to build as they wish. Nothing wrong with that, they and probably their predecessors have worked hard for it and they deserve it.
    As you mention Farmers pleading they are hard up........one I noticed on TV over the past few weeks assured us he was skint and he would probably always be skint.........didn't just tie in with the Beamer X (not sure which model) fairly new looking Pickup.......Dogs Wotsits of a Livestock wagon.....all with Personlised plates.
    Well I suppose everyone has their own interpretation of Skint!

  23. #23
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    667

    Re: minimum wage .

    think you better phone round for a few quotes before you settle with that one then

  24. #24
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    667

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    From your post I assumed that the said house was being built and the cost passed through the books as an agricultural building, on reflection this would be of little benefit.
    Any Farmer with a bought and paid for farm, no borrowings and are half way decent at what they do will have the cash available to build as they wish. Nothing wrong with that, they and probably their predecessors have worked hard for it and they deserve it.
    As you mention Farmers pleading they are hard up........one I noticed on TV over the past few weeks assured us he was skint and he would probably always be skint.........didn't just tie in with the Beamer X (not sure which model) fairly new looking Pickup.......Dogs Wotsits of a Livestock wagon.....all with Personlised plates.
    Well I suppose everyone has their own interpretation of Skint
    !
    think i saw that one to and your right theres skint and skint .

    reading back through this thread again i feel theres been an edit, im sure some one said they were paying themselfs less than minimum wage (rgt??) and what i said was these thing are far less clear as a buisness owner , im sure i could manage on less than minimum wage also if my house was bought and paid for , or getting payed by the business and i could use the works van for running around on . but see this constant banging the drum that farmers are skint all the time , ive been hearing it for as long as i can remember yet they still seem to be there , theres no ex farmers turning up in there droves in my local council estate because the banks have taken everything away from them . im fairly sure jo public are sick of hearing it and long since stopped believing them to . obviously there is farmers out there struggling , same with any type of business , but not all of them like were led to believe by some

  25. #25
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    466

    Re: minimum wage .

    It's not a big change to the majority of farmers to be earning the minimum wage , as most farmer only work part time at farming I'm sure the income would easily amount to minimum wage. If you can't get those ends to meet the your in the wrong job an if you can't see the way forward then get out now and cash in before it's too late, you may become bitter and synical about it.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    M1 - M18 - M62 Triangle
    Posts
    704

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    It's not a big change to the majority of farmers to be earning the minimum wage , as most farmer only work part time at farming I'm sure the income would easily amount to minimum wage. If you can't get those ends to meet the your in the wrong job an if you can't see the way forward then get out now and cash in before it's too late, you may become bitter and synical about it.
    When I was milking and bottling and delivering milk the last 40 hours of the 168 hour week were spent sleeping . Got out of that 16 years ago whist quota still had a value
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    north
    Posts
    255

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Why would they need to buy it when they will end up with it anyway ?.
    Because you need the money for your retirement.
    Or do you just think you will give the whole business away for nowt?

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: minimum wage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Because you need the money for your retirement. Who says so ?
    Or do you just think you will give the whole business away for nowt? Well they are my children and they didn't ask to be born !
    ...

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    north
    Posts
    255

    Re: minimum wage .

    Buggered if I know what your problem is.
    Just do what you like then, does that suit you?

  30. #30
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    466

    Re: minimum wage .

    From what I gather, It's a living wage, so the people that before did not earn enough money to live on the government supplemented it with benefits, with the new minimum wage there is no benefits to supplement it its your wage and that's it. We were all paying for it before with various taxes and so on, the cost of living is meant to come back a bit and people can get by on the money they earn.
    There is no point employing someone to carry out a job if the earnings of that job is not enough to live on.
    The trouble is people are not content to just live anymore they have to have the nice German car and the latest tech phone and tablet.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •