Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 821

Thread: Brexit reality

  1. #211
    Senior Member Sam_TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cleveland. UK
    Posts
    582

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    If we're going to let the people decide on such important issues, then they need to be informed, so they can make informed choices, speaking to leave voters, looking at arguments put forward by them on here and other social media platforms makes it clear to me that many do not understand the issue at all, or realise the consequences of what they have done, these people certainly didn't
    Everyone seems to think the petition is being signed just by dissatisfied Remain voters!
    There'll be lots of Leave voters in there too ... as they continue to discover just how much they've been misled!

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...brexit-8281875
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

  2. #212
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,542

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Cr@p. Didn't ever and doesn't now. If above were true then infectious b&w's would have been 'sorted' long ago and other predators wouldn't have been foisted onto crofting areas.

    - and add to that putting vets into jobs that weren't originally theirs in the UK, such as meat inspection, depriving already trained meat inspectors of their living.
    Too easy to blame the big baddie , especially if he or it is "Johnny Foreigner".
    Often said the road to hell is paved with good intentions.....the EU for all its faults and corruption has unified to a degree an entire continent.
    A Continent that previously been riven apart for centuries by war. This is no small achievement, those who lie in a foreign field victims of two wars last century, coupled with the several military conflicts that we took part in during the 1800's would all have voted to be part of a unified Europe.
    No matter what the cash cost, peace is cheap at any price.

  3. #213
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    47

    Re: Brexit reality

    Can't understand how we can be excluded from a meeting of EU leaders on Wednesday when we are still full members of the EU and haven't triggered article 50.

    I wouldn't have expected DC to go, but that should have been his/our choice.

  4. #214
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    466

    Re: Brexit reality

    I realise it's history now but didn't Ireland vote no to Europe and the leader resigned they voted in a new one and re-voted on Europe and and it was yes to Europe ?
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

  5. #215
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    I realise it's history now but didn't Ireland vote no to Europe and the leader resigned they voted in a new one and re-voted on Europe and and it was yes to Europe ?
    The RoI held a referendum on the Lisbon treaty which the people rejected, this resulted in further concessions from the EU, and a second referendum, where the treaty was accepted.

    There area a number of interesting point here, Cameron said before the Referendum that should he lose, that was it, he was going to trigger article 50 straight away, ie that he would march into that meeting that collies mentions above and hand it over to them, thus triggering the irrevocable process of leaving the EU. what he has done by resigning instead is kick the can down the road three months, and handed responsibility for the article 50 declaration to his successor. this is a smart move for a number of reasons. It will give those who voted leave as a protest, or based on not actually realising what it meant, to reflect on what they've done and experience some of the negative economic effects of impending brexit, (assuming there are any). There is evidence that many are already regretting their decision to vote leave now it's sunk in what it actually means, the mail has helpfully explained to their readers how brexit will affect their mortgages and pensions etc, the comments below the article are hilarious, and mainly along the lines of 'feck, why didn't you tell us this before we voted?'

    It also means that whoever succeeds Dave will have to do their own dirty work, as Cameron has reportedly said himself, why should he do the hard sh*t?

    Basically, the longer we wait before triggering article 50, the less likelihood of it actually being triggered and some sort of compromise being reached.

  6. #216
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    466

    Re: Brexit reality

    It doesn't sit right that someone who we didn't elect to be prime minister of the U.K. Starts the process of removing the UK from Europe.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

  7. #217
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    It doesn't sit right that someone who we didn't elect to be prime minister of the U.K. Starts the process of removing the UK from Europe.
    Indeed, there'll really need to be a snap election before the process starts, and what happens if a pro remain party wins, or is in a position to form a govt? (bear in mind the majority of the HoC is already pro remain)

  8. #218
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    925

    Re: Brexit reality

    Cameron was probably thinking of staying till he saw Boris's signature on the letter....

  9. #219
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    466

    Re: Brexit reality

    It appears the opposition cabinet are dropping like flys also, are corbyns days numbered. Maybe Big Nicky will steam roller them all.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

  10. #220
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: Brexit reality



    The brave new world of Michael Gove makes it sound very impressive, in the world of more free trade & increased consumer debt .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  11. #221
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,542

    Re: Brexit reality

    3 million plus now!

  12. #222

  13. #223
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Brexit reality

    http://heatst.com/uk/exclusive-brexi...rt-it-as-real/

    BBC apparently thought it was real

  14. #224
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    "by louise mensch"

    Apparently there are a few who still take her seriously.

  15. #225
    Senior Member Sam_TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cleveland. UK
    Posts
    582

    Re: Brexit reality

    Gets no better!

    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

  16. #226
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    19

    Re: Brexit reality

    Can any of you "little Englanders" tell us why the UK credit rating has been downgraded. I thought you maintained the economy was going to be enhanced by brexit. Does this mean the UK has to pay more interest on its borrowing? Maybe thats why taxes need to rise. Was the exodus of major business from London not predicted? Maybe you will now realise that the UK did get something out of Europe. You all harped on about importing more than we exported, but how did we balance the books? I thought it was mainly financial services.
    Also looks like the UK is going to rely on Germany to maintain some sort of lifeline when negotiations start. They have most to lose if an agreement cannot be made. If the UK draw a line on immigration then no trade deal can be made, the eastern Europeans will not agree to it. Maybe our only hope is for disintegration of EU, because I think they will manage without us as a block.
    It's also reassuring that one major world leader (or soon to be) is on our side, DT. No one ever dreamt he could be elected. But then the leave camp never thought they would win.

  17. #227
    Senior Member LALANS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Scotland, land of the free home of the brave
    Posts
    432

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by ramble on View Post
    Can any of you "little Englanders" tell us why the UK credit rating has been downgraded. I thought you maintained the economy was going to be enhanced by brexit. Does this mean the UK has to pay more interest on its borrowing? Maybe thats why taxes need to rise. Was the exodus of major business from London not predicted? Maybe you will now realise that the UK did get something out of Europe. You all harped on about importing more than we exported, but how did we balance the books? I thought it was mainly financial services.
    Also looks like the UK is going to rely on Germany to maintain some sort of lifeline when negotiations start. They have most to lose if an agreement cannot be made. If the UK draw a line on immigration then no trade deal can be made, the eastern Europeans will not agree to it. Maybe our only hope is for disintegration of EU, because I think they will manage without us as a block.
    It's also reassuring that one major world leader (or soon to be) is on our side, DT. No one ever dreamt he could be elected. But then the leave camp never thought they would win.
    All I can point out to you is that the Credit Agencies who have downgraded the Uk ARE THE SAME ORGANISATIONS WHO FAILED TO SEE THE CRASH OF 2008.
    I think that says it all.
    The EU zone is what economists term a mature economy, there is only one way it can go. If restrictive practices are not abatted then this decline will be faster than expected.
    You will note that the falls of last week have been regained, what goes down comes up and vice versa.
    The sky has not fallen in, peoples will still trade. Life still goes on.
    If the media didn't talk 'smiddy pish' then newspapers and TV would be wall to wall adverts

  18. #228
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Brexit reality

    What the hell is the matter with people? Are you not going to be satisfied until your cynical and negative attitudes actually manifest themselves in a full blown recession? Is that the name of the game here?

    Oh no, the FTSE 100 is back up, but oh no, the FTSE 250 is finished..... I mean, look at this, terrible!!

    http://moneyweek.com/prices-news-charts/ftse-250/


    Better all give up and start begging on the streets or try to emigrate to Romania or something.

    Yes I am positive about the country and economy generally. I know that might seem difficult since the actual agricultural industry is in decline, but I am looking beyond that small sphere.

    And yes, if it came to it, I would jack it all in and do something else or take my family abroad and emigrate. Millions of people have perfectly reasonable ways of making a living and seem to have a much smaller permanent air of negativity about them.

  19. #229
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    925

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post

    And yes, if it came to it, I would jack it all in and do something else or take my family abroad and emigrate.
    Am I the only one who can see the hypocrisy in that? Let's hope the country of your choice let's you in

  20. #230
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    102

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Am I the only one who can see the hypocrisy in that? Let's hope the country of your choice let's you in
    Its totally bloody ironic isn't it LOL

    i want someone to actually point out to me the benefits we will now get when we come out, it seems that they have all but disappeared from the leave camp, all gone quiet, did they expect the current government to deal with all the shit they have brought on themselves? They have promised the earth and now dissappeared off the face of it.

    The few that have appeared have done nothing but backtrack on the things they said in the campaign which is a massive surprise ..... NOT

    they have said that they wont be able to stop migration, the principal reason for the out vote and that negotiating a trade deal will be difficult .

    As far as I can see we are left with all the things we didn't want, the free movement, budget contribution to EU (if we want a trade deal) and yet no say in the rules being made, it would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

  21. #231
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    490

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    Its totally bloody ironic isn't it LOL

    i want someone to actually point out to me the benefits we will now get when we come out, it seems that they have all but disappeared from the leave camp, all gone quiet, did they expect the current government to deal with all the shit they have brought on themselves? They have promised the earth and now dissappeared off the face of it.

    The few that have appeared have done nothing but backtrack on the things they said in the campaign which is a massive surprise ..... NOT

    they have said that they wont be able to stop migration, the principal reason for the out vote and that negotiating a trade deal will be difficult .

    As far as I can see we are left with all the things we didn't want, the free movement, budget contribution to EU (if we want a trade deal) and yet no say in the rules being made, it would be funny if it wasn't so serious.
    I can just imagine that if you could turn the clock forward,new UK trade deals in place with economically healthy countries, America, India, Australia, New Zealand, China, etc, etc, new border controls in place to CONTROL the flow of people in and out of the country, farming doing well, rebirth of proper manufacturing, City of London financial markets booming free from EU restriction, Sturgeon in the Tower of London and the majority of Scots glad to be rid of her and happily snuggling up to their English neighbours. By contrast EU in turmoil, EU army engaged in war with Russia, people starving due to the money being channeled towards weaponry, frequent outbreaks of guerilla warfare in all major European continental cities, Eurozone inflation running at several hundred percent, etc, etc.

    I bet there'd still be some muppets somewhere in the UK gurning that they can't see the benefits of leaving the EU!

  22. #232
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    I can just imagine that if you could turn the clock forward,new UK trade deals in place with economically healthy countries, America, India, Australia, New Zealand, China, etc, etc, new border controls in place to CONTROL the flow of people in and out of the country, farming doing well, rebirth of proper manufacturing, City of London financial markets booming free from EU restriction, Sturgeon in the Tower of London and the majority of Scots glad to be rid of her and happily snuggling up to their English neighbours. By contrast EU in turmoil, EU army engaged in war with Russia, people starving due to the money being channeled towards weaponry, frequent outbreaks of guerilla warfare in all major European continental cities, Eurozone inflation running at several hundred percent, etc, etc.

    I bet there'd still be some muppets somewhere in the UK gurning that they can't see the benefits of leaving the EU!
    That word says it all. With John Lennon I believe his fanciful ideas, were down to heavy drug use, with you it has to be the over powering smell of slurry . I suggest you treat it with Plocher .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  23. #233
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    102

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    I can just imagine that if you could turn the clock forward,new UK trade deals in place with economically healthy countries, America, India, Australia, New Zealand, China, etc, etc, new border controls in place to CONTROL the flow of people in and out of the country, farming doing well, rebirth of proper manufacturing, City of London financial markets booming free from EU restriction, Sturgeon in the Tower of London and the majority of Scots glad to be rid of her and happily snuggling up to their English neighbours. By contrast EU in turmoil, EU army engaged in war with Russia, people starving due to the money being channeled towards weaponry, frequent outbreaks of guerilla warfare in all major European continental cities, Eurozone inflation running at several hundred percent, etc, etc.

    I bet there'd still be some muppets somewhere in the UK gurning that they can't see the benefits of leaving the EU!
    What a load of utter tosh, the EU does not prevent us having any trade deals with commonwealth countries and in fact the UK has actually been trying to get FTA (free trade agreements) for ex colonies with the EU. If you dont believe me have a look at some websites such as http://euromove.org.uk/how-can-we-ge...-commonwealth/

    So for a start you can forget India, New zealand, Australia from your dream or imaginings

  24. #234
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    490

    Re: Brexit reality

    Yes, I did use the word imagine, Sturgeon in the Tower was a bit of a giveaway as to the tongue in cheek nature of the post.

    The serious point was some peoples negativity, no matter what happens they're determined to diss it just because it went against them.

    Friday - stock market falls - "Look at the stock market, it's a catastrophe".

    Today - stock market just short of 6550 as I type - "Sure the stock market means nothing!"

    Have a bit of wit, don't do your country down, and sit back and watch the shenanigans in Westminster and Brussels as they both were long overdue a good shaking. They're parasites the whole feckin lot of them, the people and systems that do business and keep us all working and living are by and large still getting on with it just the same thank you very much.

  25. #235
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: Brexit reality

    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  26. #236
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    Yes, I did use the word imagine, Sturgeon in the Tower was a bit of a giveaway as to the tongue in cheek nature of the post.

    The serious point was some peoples negativity, no matter what happens they're determined to diss it just because it went against them.

    Friday - stock market falls - "Look at the stock market, it's a catastrophe".

    Today - stock market just short of 6550 as I type - "Sure the stock market means nothing!"

    Have a bit of wit, don't do your country down, and sit back and watch the shenanigans in Westminster and Brussels as they both were long overdue a good shaking. They're parasites the whole feckin lot of them, the people and systems that do business and keep us all working and living are by and large still getting on with it just the same thank you very much.
    Yes, the FTSE 100 has now recovered all the ground it lost in the wake of the shock Brexit vote after jumping 3.6% yesterday to close at 6,360 points.However, Karen Olney at UBS tells Today that the mid-cap FTSE 250 - a better barometer of the UK economy - is the worst-performing of 40 global asset classes rated by UBS since the referendum vote. That's despite a 3.2% rise for the 250 on Wednesday.
    The bank's economists are also cutting their outlook for UK economic growth by a third for 2016, partly because costs will rise for consumers, but wages will not follow suit.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/m...europe/lse_ukx
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  27. #237
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,542

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    I can just imagine that if you could turn the clock forward,new UK trade deals in place with economically healthy countries, America, India, Australia, New Zealand, China, etc, etc, new border controls in place to CONTROL the flow of people in and out of the country, farming doing well, rebirth of proper manufacturing, City of London financial markets booming free from EU restriction, Sturgeon in the Tower of London and the majority of Scots glad to be rid of her and happily snuggling up to their English neighbours. By contrast EU in turmoil, EU army engaged in war with Russia, people starving due to the money being channeled towards weaponry, frequent outbreaks of guerilla warfare in all major European continental cities, Eurozone inflation running at several hundred percent, etc, etc.

    I bet there'd still be some muppets somewhere in the UK gurning that they can't see the benefits of leaving the EU!
    So what do you propose exporting to OZ and NZ?? Now that the mineral boom has ended OZ has financial issues of their own....NZ agri is in the same boat as us! NZ dairy is probably worse than the UK's.
    Both have close and developed links with Asia for trade, both ways.
    It is just laughable listening to people suggesting we can sub these places for the European market.

    (a combined Europe is currently just about enough to keep Putins tanks at home, or at least on the borders. Divide and conquer......United we stand!)

  28. #238
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,136

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    So what do you propose exporting to OZ and NZ?? Now that the mineral boom has ended OZ has financial issues of their own....NZ agri is in the same boat as us! NZ dairy is probably worse than the UK's.
    Both have close and developed links with Asia for trade, both ways.
    It is just laughable listening to people suggesting we can sub these places for the European market.

    (a combined Europe is currently just about enough to keep Putins tanks at home, or at least on the borders. Divide and conquer......United we stand!)
    Our beef prices are at almost record levels at the moment; who knows where exporters in either country might search for a market. Dairy is the reverse: not only have our dairy companies slashed prices, Murray Goulbourn is clawing back money already paid to farmers during last season .

    JV

  29. #239
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,136

    Re: Brexit reality

    Australian commentator, Waleed Aly, reckons Brexit is the British version of the Arab Spring. The results of the Aus election held today could also reflect that & produce interesting results, with many predicting a very large vote for independents and minor parties - one recent poll had it at 27%. That's how I voted: a pox on both of the major parties. Full of promises they can't keep and out of touch.

    Considering Aus has compulsory voting (well, sort of: one has to present at a polling place and have your name crossed off the list, but as long as the voting papers are put in the boxes, they can be left blank - or defaced) I fondly remember the bumper sticker of a few years ago: "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards".

    JV

  30. #240
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,136

    Re: Brexit reality

    In case anyone is interested in the Aus election, this is a good site to follow:

    http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/2...up-was-it.html

    More than you ever needed - or wanted - to know

    JV

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •