Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 821

Thread: Brexit reality

  1. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Brexit reality

    Personally I think we face a complete shambles now for a period. I was of the opinion that the current EU form was doomed anyway but still voted in with the hope that reform might eventually take place. Wishful thinking perhaps. We have a result based not on economics but on rubbish spouted on immigration and migration.
    How will this effect NI and Scotland?

  2. #152
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    A big drop in the Pound, if sustained, should offer relief to British business.

    Farmers should look forward to the possibility, at least, of new opportunity.
    I suspect the Euro will suffer more than the Pound in a day or two.
    It's funny how things recovered when the Bank of England said "we don't see a big problem" - they wouldn't say that before the vote though.

  3. #153
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    19

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    This is a definitive point in history for sure BUT remember this...... Just because 52% of the population who voted, voted to bring about this Brexit, it really means nothing in legal terms because Parliament makes the laws and this was meant, in my simple understanding, to quell the people with DC thinking the result was going to be dramatically different or he wouldn't have given in. So it really depends on whether MPs are going to get a vote and what they vote for.
    Has DC not said he will abide by the vote. So much for my prediction for a remain vote. If leaving is such a good thing, why has the economy crashed. Next thing interest rates will have to rise. We have now pissed off our biggest market for the sake of misconcieved ideas about immigration. Anyone looking for labour would be mad not to employ migrants. Locals spoilt on our benefit system, don't even have to work.
    Wouldn't it be ironic if the EU changed because of our no vote to prevent further break-up. If EU dissolves Europe might not be such a safe place. VP will be getting ready for his next land grab.
    Better off without DC, misread this whole thing. Negotiated a bad deal for EU reform. Should have walked away, saved vote for next year.

  4. #154
    Senior Member MerryKerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    E Yorks
    Posts
    356

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    How will things develop if non EU countries only accept highly skilled professionals , like doctors ,etc and stop non skilled , how will it be for the countries that are left .In my view any trade deal with the EU will have to include non Skilled workers
    Is this really our problem? The assumption seems to be that any kind of points system would prioritise skilled workers, but aren't we specifically after the 'unskilled'? the fruit pickers and night milkers etc?

  5. #155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ulster
    Posts
    895

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Personally I think we face a complete shambles now for a period. I was of the opinion that the current EU form was doomed anyway but still voted in with the hope that reform might eventually take place. Wishful thinking perhaps. We have a result based not on economics but on rubbish spouted on immigration and migration.
    How will this effect NI and Scotland?
    I didn't hear anything from any leave campaigners telling that they would cut immigration but DC had said he'd cut it to 10's of thousands blah blah blah. There was an awful lot of finger pointing, hot air, postulating and bravado from both sides of the debate and I agreed with some of each but under the terms of what we were asked in the vote yesterday, we couldn't pick a bit of this and a bit of someone else's ideology..... It was a very specific question with a very specific answer and now that DC has his answer he's throwing the toys outta the pram and doing a runner instead of LEADING the country through this turmoil HE has created by not having the backbone to stand against his sceptics 3 years ago and not having the backbone to lead us out of this now. He has severely dropped in my estimations as I thought he was going to see it through as leader of the country, whatever the country voted for. Just another sponge then on the gravy train.

  6. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Brexit reality

    Well he failed to negotiate anything with the EU, and he failed to get his result in the referendum. In my view, he doesn't really have much of a leg to stand on now. I think he hasn't been a bad PM, but two terms of one man is enough anyway.

  7. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    A big drop in the Pound, if sustained, should offer relief to British business.

    Farmers should look forward to the possibility, at least, of new opportunity.
    With who? we've just turned our backs on the worlds biggest single market for our produce, and an organisation that has subsidised our businesses both directly and with rural development grants for decades. The drop in the pound just put about £40 a tonne on the price of soya, that'll be handy for dairy farmers at the moment.

    Cornwall, big out vote, has just realised that it receives massive economic subsidy from the EU as a deprived economy and has asked if they can carry on having that please. good luck with that one. wales are in the same position, turkeys who voted for christmas are now asking that they should be the one spared from the roasting tin.

  8. #158
    Senior Member Sam_TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cleveland. UK
    Posts
    582

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Poor indeed and although I am not a Farrage fan the bulk of the press seem to delight in taking him out of context.
    Not even a matter of hours & already he's back tracking on the promises that were the basis of the Leave campaign!



    Why do people believe this man?
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

  9. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Poor indeed and although I am not a Farrage fan the bulk of the press seem to delight in taking him out of context.
    Difficult to take him out of context on that one:


  10. #160
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    197

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    With who? we've just turned our backs on the worlds biggest single market for our produce, and an organisation that has subsidised our businesses both directly and with rural development grants for decades. The drop in the pound just put about £40 a tonne on the price of soya, that'll be handy for dairy farmers at the moment.

    Cornwall, big out vote, has just realised that it receives massive economic subsidy from the EU as a deprived economy and has asked if they can carry on having that please. good luck with that one. wales are in the same position, turkeys who voted for christmas are now asking that they should be the one spared from the roasting tin.
    And where do you think the money comes from for your subsidies in the first place??

  11. #161
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by cmjl View Post
    And where do you think the money comes from for your subsidies in the first place??
    Ultimately it comes from general taxation, which requires growth and a healthy economy, things that we may well not have for the foreseeable future.

  12. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    With who? we've just turned our backs on the worlds biggest single market for our produce, and an organisation that has subsidised our businesses both directly and with rural development grants for decades. The drop in the pound just put about £40 a tonne on the price of soya, that'll be handy for dairy farmers at the moment.

    Cornwall, big out vote, has just realised that it receives massive economic subsidy from the EU as a deprived economy and has asked if they can carry on having that please. good luck with that one. wales are in the same position, turkeys who voted for christmas are now asking that they should be the one spared from the roasting tin.
    And Wales ffs.

  13. #163
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    Difficult to take him out of context on that one:

    He will not be picking up the pieces (at least I hope I have got that right). Lab now nervous that some of their old fashioned labour rather than socialist voye my increasingly tip to UKIP. Ironic really.

  14. #164
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by MerryKerry View Post
    Is this really our problem? The assumption seems to be that any kind of points system would prioritise skilled workers, but aren't we specifically after the 'unskilled'? the fruit pickers and night milkers etc?
    Only if Countries like Poland ,Romania & Lithuania are as dumb and stupid as most people in this Country think they are. Doctors, Nurses ,Engineers cost their respected Country cost money to educate , how would you feel if all our skilled Labour went East taking their student debt with them without reimbursement to the treasury . They will use their Veto to get the best deal for them , why would they not.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  15. #165
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Brexit reality

    God alive, the way you old birds are carrying on it's like we've just had a nuclear exchange or something.

    Oh no, the pound has dropped a bit. The FTSE has dropped a bit. The markets just don't like uncertainty, but that didn't stop them all sitting there in front of their computers riding selling themselves short as it fell. FTSE down about 3%- nothing compared to the DAX and CAC, nearly 7 and 8 percent respectively. And there will be a ripple across other markets, too, markets reacting to external factors. Just like the Greek bailout etc etc.

    If we had suddenly undergone a level of turmoil along the lines of the ERM when it went completely to pieces, you might have reason for concern. This isn't anything like the on the scale of the 2008 crash, and we weathered that fine, in fact the whole world looked to us and followed our bold example.

    The move away from the EU won't happen instantly, it is going to take at least several months.

    I was disappointed by Cameron, that was a bad show. He was elected to run the country, by the people, and he should be there, with the rest of the cabinet, working his damnedest to weather the storm, not scurrying off because he didn't get his own way.

    Are we that miserable, bitter and cynical we don't have any self belief in ourselves at all?

    Enough of the moaning, accept the fact that for whatever reason, a lot of people voted to remove the country from the EU club. You have to look past that, support democracy and now we should be looking to put pressure on the government to finally get it's thumb out and actually formulate and implement policy changes, rather than dithering and bitching about how the EU won't allow this or that- no more excuses. Now the reins are in their hands we and will destroy the government at the next election if they don't get hold of the bit and do what in fairness, we elected them to do anyway.

    There is going to be no trade war. No major world player has the time for that. The Germans will be desperate to sort a deal with us because so many Volkswagens end up here.

    Anyway, in other news the milk prices are creeping upwards. I'll drink to that, if nothing else.

  16. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,542

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    God alive, the way you old birds are carrying on it's like we've just had a nuclear exchange or something.

    Oh no, the pound has dropped a bit. The FTSE has dropped a bit. The markets just don't like uncertainty, but that didn't stop them all sitting there in front of their computers riding selling themselves short as it fell. FTSE down about 3%- nothing compared to the DAX and CAC, nearly 7 and 8 percent respectively. And there will be a ripple across other markets, too, markets reacting to external factors. Just like the Greek bailout etc etc.

    If we had suddenly undergone a level of turmoil along the lines of the ERM when it went completely to pieces, you might have reason for concern. This isn't anything like the on the scale of the 2008 crash, and we weathered that fine, in fact the whole world looked to us and followed our bold example.

    The move away from the EU won't happen instantly, it is going to take at least several months.

    I was disappointed by Cameron, that was a bad show. He was elected to run the country, by the people, and he should be there, with the rest of the cabinet, working his damnedest to weather the storm, not scurrying off because he didn't get his own way.

    Are we that miserable, bitter and cynical we don't have any self belief in ourselves at all?

    Enough of the moaning, accept the fact that for whatever reason, a lot of people voted to remove the country from the EU club. You have to look past that, support democracy and now we should be looking to put pressure on the government to finally get it's thumb out and actually formulate and implement policy changes, rather than dithering and bitching about how the EU won't allow this or that- no more excuses. Now the reins are in their hands we and will destroy the government at the next election if they don't get hold of the bit and do what in fairness, we elected them to do anyway.

    There is going to be no trade war. No major world player has the time for that. The Germans will be desperate to sort a deal with us because so many Volkswagens end up here.

    Anyway, in other news the milk prices are creeping upwards. I'll drink to that, if nothing else.
    Cameron should have gone to the Queen to ask her to dissolve parliament and called an election for three weeks time.
    The " Swivel eyed lunatics" from Brexit would have had something to concentrate on then. Rather than the perceived take over (backstabbing).
    The referendum was EU in or out, not for a cabinet full of eccentric failed politicians.

  17. #167
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Cameron should have gone to the Queen to ask her to dissolve parliament and called an election for three weeks time.
    The " Swivel eyed lunatics" from Brexit would have had something to concentrate on then. Rather than the perceived take over (backstabbing).
    The referendum was EU in or out, not for a cabinet full of eccentric failed politicians.
    Let me get this right, you want the combined shock of an EU referendum, and then a snap election, between a Conservative party that won't be able to sort its handgover for weeks, and a frankenstein-like Labour party led by a man who thought 1970s Britain was a great thing?

  18. #168
    Senior Member WoodenHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    374

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    God alive, the way you old birds are carrying on it's like we've just had a nuclear exchange or something.

    Oh no, the pound has dropped a bit. The FTSE has dropped a bit. The markets just don't like uncertainty, but that didn't stop them all sitting there in front of their computers riding selling themselves short as it fell. FTSE down about 3%- nothing compared to the DAX and CAC, nearly 7 and 8 percent respectively. And there will be a ripple across other markets, too, markets reacting to external factors. Just like the Greek bailout etc etc.

    If we had suddenly undergone a level of turmoil along the lines of the ERM when it went completely to pieces, you might have reason for concern. This isn't anything like the on the scale of the 2008 crash, and we weathered that fine, in fact the whole world looked to us and followed our bold example.

    The move away from the EU won't happen instantly, it is going to take at least several months.

    I was disappointed by Cameron, that was a bad show. He was elected to run the country, by the people, and he should be there, with the rest of the cabinet, working his damnedest to weather the storm, not scurrying off because he didn't get his own way.

    Are we that miserable, bitter and cynical we don't have any self belief in ourselves at all?

    Enough of the moaning, accept the fact that for whatever reason, a lot of people voted to remove the country from the EU club. You have to look past that, support democracy and now we should be looking to put pressure on the government to finally get it's thumb out and actually formulate and implement policy changes, rather than dithering and bitching about how the EU won't allow this or that- no more excuses. Now the reins are in their hands we and will destroy the government at the next election if they don't get hold of the bit and do what in fairness, we elected them to do anyway.

    There is going to be no trade war. No major world player has the time for that. The Germans will be desperate to sort a deal with us because so many Volkswagens end up here.

    Anyway, in other news the milk prices are creeping upwards. I'll drink to that, if nothing else.
    +1 - Great positivity

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Let me get this right, you want the combined shock of an EU referendum, and then a snap election, between a Conservative party that won't be able to sort its handgover for weeks, and a frankenstein-like Labour party led by a man who thought 1970s Britain was a great thing?
    +1 - Err who would you vote for? Forget toeing the party line. Neither Tory nor Labour has a wheel-out electable candidate capable. We need to watch a few old episodes of 'Yes Minister'....

    Forget yesterday, let's concentrate on tomorrow and deal with the opportunity instead of carping on about what 'he' or 'they' should have done.
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

  19. #169
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Augher, Co. Tyrone
    Posts
    743

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    God alive, the way you old birds are carrying on it's like we've just had a nuclear exchange or something.

    Oh no, the pound has dropped a bit. The FTSE has dropped a bit. The markets just don't like uncertainty, but that didn't stop them all sitting there in front of their computers riding selling themselves short as it fell. FTSE down about 3%- nothing compared to the DAX and CAC, nearly 7 and 8 percent respectively. And there will be a ripple across other markets, too, markets reacting to external factors. Just like the Greek bailout etc etc.

    If we had suddenly undergone a level of turmoil along the lines of the ERM when it went completely to pieces, you might have reason for concern. This isn't anything like the on the scale of the 2008 crash, and we weathered that fine, in fact the whole world looked to us and followed our bold example.

    The move away from the EU won't happen instantly, it is going to take at least several months.

    I was disappointed by Cameron, that was a bad show. He was elected to run the country, by the people, and he should be there, with the rest of the cabinet, working his damnedest to weather the storm, not scurrying off because he didn't get his own way.

    Are we that miserable, bitter and cynical we don't have any self belief in ourselves at all?

    Enough of the moaning, accept the fact that for whatever reason, a lot of people voted to remove the country from the EU club. You have to look past that, support democracy and now we should be looking to put pressure on the government to finally get it's thumb out and actually formulate and implement policy changes, rather than dithering and bitching about how the EU won't allow this or that- no more excuses. Now the reins are in their hands we and will destroy the government at the next election if they don't get hold of the bit and do what in fairness, we elected them to do anyway.

    There is going to be no trade war. No major world player has the time for that. The Germans will be desperate to sort a deal with us because so many Volkswagens end up here.

    Anyway, in other news the milk prices are creeping upwards. I'll drink to that, if nothing else.
    +1 why don't we have a 'like' button on this forum?!

  20. #170
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    490

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    God alive, the way you old birds are carrying on it's like we've just had a nuclear exchange or something.

    Oh no, the pound has dropped a bit. The FTSE has dropped a bit. The markets just don't like uncertainty, but that didn't stop them all sitting there in front of their computers riding selling themselves short as it fell. FTSE down about 3%- nothing compared to the DAX and CAC, nearly 7 and 8 percent respectively. And there will be a ripple across other markets, too, markets reacting to external factors. Just like the Greek bailout etc etc.

    If we had suddenly undergone a level of turmoil along the lines of the ERM when it went completely to pieces, you might have reason for concern. This isn't anything like the on the scale of the 2008 crash, and we weathered that fine, in fact the whole world looked to us and followed our bold example.

    The move away from the EU won't happen instantly, it is going to take at least several months.

    I was disappointed by Cameron, that was a bad show. He was elected to run the country, by the people, and he should be there, with the rest of the cabinet, working his damnedest to weather the storm, not scurrying off because he didn't get his own way.

    Are we that miserable, bitter and cynical we don't have any self belief in ourselves at all?

    Enough of the moaning, accept the fact that for whatever reason, a lot of people voted to remove the country from the EU club. You have to look past that, support democracy and now we should be looking to put pressure on the government to finally get it's thumb out and actually formulate and implement policy changes, rather than dithering and bitching about how the EU won't allow this or that- no more excuses. Now the reins are in their hands we and will destroy the government at the next election if they don't get hold of the bit and do what in fairness, we elected them to do anyway.

    There is going to be no trade war. No major world player has the time for that. The Germans will be desperate to sort a deal with us because so many Volkswagens end up here.

    Anyway, in other news the milk prices are creeping upwards. I'll drink to that, if nothing else.
    Excellent post, little needs added.

    Remainers should spit out the sour grapes, get on with life and be thankful that a majority of their fellow countrymen had the wit and balls to do the right thing!

  21. #171
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    I suspect the Euro will suffer more than the Pound in a day or two.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06...ropes-economy/

  22. #172
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    Excellent post, little needs added.

    Remainers should spit out the sour grapes, get on with life and be thankful that a majority of their fellow countrymen had the wit and balls to do the right thing!
    History will tell us whether you did the right thing or not, it's a little early to say yet.

  23. #173
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: Brexit reality

    Not exactly the same conclusion according to the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36626085
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  24. #174
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post


    The move away from the EU won't happen instantly, it is going to take at least several months.


    .
    It will all be over by Christmas .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  25. #175
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    God alive, the way you old birds are carrying on it's like we've just had a nuclear exchange or something.

    Oh no, the pound has dropped a bit. The FTSE has dropped a bit. The markets just don't like uncertainty, but that didn't stop them all sitting there in front of their computers riding selling themselves short as it fell. FTSE down about 3%- nothing compared to the DAX and CAC, nearly 7 and 8 percent respectively. And there will be a ripple across other markets, too, markets reacting to external factors. Just like the Greek bailout etc etc.

    If we had suddenly undergone a level of turmoil along the lines of the ERM when it went completely to pieces, you might have reason for concern. This isn't anything like the on the scale of the 2008 crash, and we weathered that fine, in fact the whole world looked to us and followed our bold example.
    yes it is:

    "Sterling’s gyrations added up to a record 13 per cent intraday range for the pound, smashing the 6.5 per cent from October at the height of the 2008 financial crash and the 4.9 per cent range on Black Wednesday in 1992. "

    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8d8a100e-3...ed7b6126f.html

    The move away from the EU won't happen instantly, it is going to take at least several months.
    It will take at least two years, after article 50 has been invoked:

    http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/...ng-article-50/

    I was disappointed by Cameron, that was a bad show. He was elected to run the country, by the people, and he should be there, with the rest of the cabinet, working his damnedest to weather the storm, not scurrying off because he didn't get his own way.
    His position is untenable, he has no other choice really, as Gee has pointed out, he could have dissolved parliament, as it is he's trying to make the best of a bad job and create a period of grace where he and Mark Carney can try an limit the economic damage, whilst giving the Leave campaign time to actually come up with some sort of plan for what they actually want to ask for in the upcoming negotiations. The reason Leave don't want him to go is because they have an idea just how toxic these negotiation are likely to be.

    Are we that miserable, bitter and cynical we don't have any self belief in ourselves at all?
    It's not a question of being bitter, it's a question of realism. We have made a decision which, even the Leave campaign themselves admit, is likely to have a negative impact on the UK economy. The one thing big business and financial institutions hate is uncertainty, unlike the British public they want to make an informed choice or calculated risk based on objective assessment of the facts. now we have a twin track uncertainty, we don't know who will be Prime Minster in three months time, nor do we know yet on what terms we will seek to negotiate an exit, in addition we are also entering what is literally uncharted territory WRT negotiating article 50, Put yourself in the position of a major multinational, do you think Nissan or toyota will be wanting to increase capacity or invest in development here until they know exactly what are deal is going to be? This isn't pessimism, it's realism.

    Enough of the moaning, accept the fact that for whatever reason, a lot of people voted to remove the country from the EU club. You have to look past that, support democracy and now we should be looking to put pressure on the government to finally get it's thumb out and actually formulate and implement policy changes, rather than dithering and bitching about how the EU won't allow this or that- no more excuses. Now the reins are in their hands we and will destroy the government at the next election if they don't get hold of the bit and do what in fairness, we elected them to do anyway.
    The UK electorate have mad a choice, i'm not convinced it was an informed one, given the mass of misinformation and downright lies that were out there, but it's done now and we have to try and make the best of it. Hopefully you are right and i am wrong, and a veritable land of milk and honey awaits us, but what if you're wrong? Even if the sky doesn't fall and tif we avoid many of the potential worst case scenarios, what if we end up still the same as we are now, and it turns out brexit hasn't magically transformed the lives of ordinary working class people, what then? With a total lack of credible opposition from Labour and all the shit that has been stirred up about immigrants to boost th Leave campaign, my main concern is we're opening the door to the far right.

  26. #176
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,542

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Let me get this right, you want the combined shock of an EU referendum, and then a snap election, between a Conservative party that won't be able to sort its handgover for weeks, and a frankenstein-like Labour party led by a man who thought 1970s Britain was a great thing?
    A General Election is the traditional method of enforcing the supremacy or otherwise of the Prime Minister.
    It is the ultimate weapon of power.
    DC was fatally wounded when he revealed that he would not see out the full term if re elected.
    MP's living with the threat of unemployment within three weeks tend to have a more loyal relationship with their Prime Minister.
    Listening to the dawning realisation of the general public now that they realise what they have done, perhaps not all of the "Swivel eyed Loonies" would manage to be re elected.
    Online petition passed the 100,000 names in a matter of hours demanding that Parliament hold a debate to carry out a second referendum.
    This all may be irrelevant, within a week or so....the EU may be in a greater crisis than us.

  27. #177
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    A General Election is the traditional method of enforcing the supremacy or otherwise of the Prime Minister.
    It is the ultimate weapon of power.
    DC was fatally wounded when he revealed that he would not see out the full term if re elected.
    MP's living with the threat of unemployment within three weeks tend to have a more loyal relationship with their Prime Minister.
    Listening to the dawning realisation of the general public now that they realise what they have done, perhaps not all of the "Swivel eyed Loonies" would manage to be re elected.
    Online petition passed the 100,000 names in a matter of hours demanding that Parliament hold a debate to carry out a second referendum.
    This all may be irrelevant, within a week or so....the EU may be in a greater crisis than us.
    whoever takes over from Dave really needs to call an election top give them a mandate to make the necessary negotiations on our behalf, this is not a job for a caretaker govt. I think Cameron is right to hang on to try and stabilise the economy and give the Leave lot time to actually come up with a coherent strategy. I'm not entirely convinced that boris actually wanted this, he looks like the kid who broke the glass in the school fire alarm for a dare and is now shitting himself at the realisation of what he's done. His was always a career move rather than a sincere belief in brexit as the best way for britain, I wonder if he was expecting remain to win but by a small enough margin to unseat Cameron, having fatally damaged his main rival Osborne.

  28. #178
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,542

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    whoever takes over from Dave really needs to call an election top give them a mandate to make the necessary negotiations on our behalf, this is not a job for a caretaker govt. I think Cameron is right to hang on to try and stabilise the economy and give the Leave lot time to actually come up with a coherent strategy. I'm not entirely convinced that boris actually wanted this, he looks like the kid who broke the glass in the school fire alarm for a dare and is now shitting himself at the realisation of what he's done. His was always a career move rather than a sincere belief in brexit as the best way for britain, I wonder if he was expecting remain to win but by a small enough margin to unseat Cameron, having fatally damaged his main rival Osborne.
    See Alan B'Stard!

  29. #179
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Brexit reality

    The pound is likely to stay weak. But as someone said, the general uncertainty is likely to knock the euro as well. And the money will the safe haven dollar, which is inching its way towards another rate rise. Unfortunately a strong dollar is too often associated with weakness in commodities.

  30. #180
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: Brexit reality

    Quote Originally Posted by DairyFarmer111 View Post
    The pound is likely to stay weak. But as someone said, the general uncertainty is likely to knock the euro as well. And the money will the safe haven dollar, which is inching its way towards another rate rise. Unfortunately a strong dollar is too often associated with weakness in commodities.
    Its not good for any one that the Euro suffers as we are still in the EU , plus stronger Dollar means higher oil price .Inflation is something that we can do without.

    http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-...xiting-the-eu/
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •