Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit reality

Re: Brexit reality

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Online petition passed the 100,000 names in a matter of hours demanding that Parliament hold a debate to carry out a second referendum.

Great idea let's all live and work "online".

Warned ya all - we'll have to continue to re-vote til we give the right answer!

The brainwashing continues towards "Common Purpose"

Yawn. Petition over 100,000 signatures- yeah whatever.

Seriously, like or loathe it, look past it, accept it and get your heads in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Yawn. Petition over 100,000 signatures- yeah whatever.

Seriously, like or loathe it, look past it, accept it and get your heads in the game.
    And another Yawn...But it's almost 1,000,000 now

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

And it is only 24 hours old, gone up by 10,000 as I type this post.

If it gets to 1,269,502 then that is bigger than the referendum majority.
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post

And it will still be dismissed.

Has Britain REALLY lost all sense of self-belief and self-reliance?

Hundreds of countries world wide are not part of any political union, and they survive perfectly well.

The UK is the 5th largest economy in the world, has a higher rate of employment today than at any time in the last 30 years at least and is STILL one of the premier financial leaders in the world. It isn't suddenly going to turn into Uganda in the space of a few weeks.

Seriously, people need to go back to drinking tea and moaning about the weather.

Has Britain REALLY lost all sense of self-belief and self-reliance?
    Sadly yes - it's called drip drip into oblivion - let us look after your every need.
    Too much faceache, gogglebox, dumbing down in written communications and Brussels Broadcasting Conniving ...... akin to warming up the lobster to sleep before you boil it ........... I could go on!

Frightening the number who obviously don't believe in one person, one vote democracy any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Frightening the number who obviously don't believe in one person, one vote democracy any longer.
    If we're going to let the people decide on such important issues, then they need to be informed, so they can make informed choices, speaking to leave voters, looking at arguments put forward by them on here and other social media platforms makes it clear to me that many do not understand the issue at all, or realise the consequences of what they have done, these people certainly didn't

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d25711498bb5
    Too much faceache, gogglebox, dumbing down in written communications and Brussels Broadcasting Conniving ...... akin to warming up the lobster to sleep before you boil it ........... I could go on!
    What about the people who've been lapping up the shite in the Daily Mail and Express? what about the people who bought into the outright lies from the leave campaign? £350M a week for the NHS, really? There was some mad woman celebrating on the news shouting that she's saved the NHS by voting leave. what she's actually done is ushered into power a hard right tory government headed up by a man who publicly stated that he thought health care should be privatised.

Prior top the vote i asked time and time again for anyone to give me an actual example of all the EU red tape that was strangling their business, and i'm still waiting for a decent answer. So i'll ask a different question now, what do you think you will gain from this vote? give me a material example of how things will be better, not empty rhetoric about self belief and taking back control, and actual example of how the EU negatively impacted on your life, and how brexit will change this.

It's already surpassed the leave majority now.

One issue here, and i think this applies to staunch leave supporter as well, is that as of yet, we don't really know what leave actually means. There's a massive gulf between what Farage wants, and What Boris wants in terms of our post brexit relationship with the rest of Europe, the successor to Cameron, whether that's Boris or Teresa May, will have to come up with a policy on what they intend to ask the EU for as a divorce settlement. such a govt will not have a mandate from the people, so by rights they need to call an election having stated in their manifesto what they intend to seek from brexit negotiations.

In three of four months time. we'll have a clearer picture of just how much the current uncertainty is effecting the economy. Three months of expensive petrol, dear holiday money and shrunken pensions coupled with news that now no one wants to buy the port talbot steel work and rumblings from the likes of nissan and toyota about pulling out, there might be a very different mood.

That's all speculation, maybe UW4MK is correct and we'll be just fine, but even in this case, whatever Cameron's successor decides to do, it needs to be put before the people in order that they have a mandate to negotiate on our behalf.

So did all these folks go out and vote on the day?

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post

example of how the EU negatively impacted on your life, and how brexit will change this.
    Yes have had interference in a small business. Union wouldn't/couldn't help as dictat came from EU and outside their remit. Brexit too late for me personally.

Are we just keep going to have referendums till we get the right result

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    Are we just keep going to have referendums till we get the right result

Post #30

Yes have had interference in a small business. Union wouldn't/couldn't help as dictat came from EU and outside their remit. Brexit too late for me personally.
    I appreciate you may not want to give specific details, that's fair enough, but without knowing the nature of the problem it's difficult to comment, but is this rule likely to be abolished after Brexit, do you think?

This wasn't just a vote about independence. It was a message to the government and future governments that the people want them held accountable for policy and implementing that policy.

No more relying on that old chestnut: 'we would love to, but you know, EU rules...'

Prime example was the Port Talbot steel fiasco- state aid? Love to but EU says we can't.

I want to see the British bill of rights formed into law, and the human rights act binned.

This wasn't just a vote about independence. It was a message to the government and future governments that the people want them held accountable for policy and implementing that policy.

No more relying on that old chestnut: 'we would love to, but you know, EU rules...'

Prime example was the Port Talbot steel fiasco- state aid? Love to but EU says we can't.

I want to see the British bill of rights formed into law, and the human rights act binned.
    Think thats not far away . Thats why the older voters voted out put up with to much crap from eu . To many people erning money of eu but no ones that sure what it is the actually do . Drink wine in the sunshine more than likely

Political shambles that will not help the UK move forward. Then all the issues with NI and Scotland.

I blame the Lib Dem voters for the last election. If they had embraced their own party instead of dumping on Nick Clegg et al a continued coalition would have prevented this muddle (for a while a least)

1.5 million now!

More often than not the EU tried to help agriculture, the UK government chose not too, and diverted the cash into vote winning schemes.....financing "Organic wool Willy Warmer Knitters" etc.

I think you will find Port Talbot had more to do with bribing the Chinese to build the never to be built power station.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Then all the issues with NI and Scotland.
    Well Scotland may be one thing but Northern Ireland is a non-issue. The Shinners are only shouting for a border poll because (a) that's what they do, and (b) they know there's no danger of them getting one.

If they thought there was any chance of it actually happening, there wouldn't be a cheep!

They wanted to "remain" (MEP's are a cracking revenue stream for the party) and they lost, everyone else would be getting nervous if they weren't kicking up.

More often than not the EU tried to help agriculture,
    Cr@p. Didn't ever and doesn't now. If above were true then infectious b&w's would have been 'sorted' long ago and other predators wouldn't have been foisted onto crofting areas.

- and add to that putting vets into jobs that weren't originally theirs in the UK, such as meat inspection, depriving already trained meat inspectors of their living.

1.5 million now!
    over 2 million now, not bad for a petition whose wording doesn't make a lot of sense but I admire the sentiment.

It is possible that the UK might not be able to withdraw from EU without the consent of the Scottish Parliament, a House of Lords Select committee looked at it last year and in it says "such measures would entail amendment of section 29 of the Scotland Act 1998, which binds the Scottish Parliament to act in a manner compatible with EU law, and he therefore believed that the Scottish Parliament’s consent would be required."

... and I presume the same would also be true for Northern Ireland

http://www.publications.parliament.u...dTextAnchor051

Yet if the 2010 and 2015 general elections had been fought using the PR (STV) system which is the nearest you can get to a one person, one vote situation on a ballot paper with more than two choices then DC would not have felt the need to offer the sop of this EU leave-remain referendum to UKIP sympathisers in the first place.
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Not entirely serious but an interesting read:
    http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/0...-of-globalism/

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post

Good find

“There are some in this country who fear that in going into Europe we shall in some way sacrifice independence and sovereignty. These fears, I need hardly say, are completely unjustified.”Prime Minister Edward Heath, television broadcast on Britain’s entry into the Common Market, January 1973

We have to accept the result of the referendum, but there is need for a public enquiry into how we were
    duped by Ted Heath and others in 1973 into believing that we were simply entering into a free-trade agreement.

Who stood idly back and watched how our laws gradually became so entwined with EU law that it will take a massive gravy train
    with a myriad of lawyers etc over a number of years to disentangle them?

How did a single English MEP, with no ready support from MEPs or MPs from other parties, single-handedly instigate a Referendum?

How did the pollsters who predicted (during Thursday's polling day) a 52:48 win for ''Remain'' get it so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    cheeky fcuk i can assure you our whisky is the best in the world

as for the scottish referendum
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36625068

theres a lot of us that " dont do walking away "

Cr@p. Didn't ever and doesn't now. If above were true then infectious b&w's would have been 'sorted' long ago and other predators wouldn't have been foisted onto crofting areas.

- and add to that putting vets into jobs that weren't originally theirs in the UK, such as meat inspection, depriving already trained meat inspectors of their living.
    You do realise that badgers are only a protected species in the UK right? and this has nothing to do with the EU, where they are culled to control TB

It pains me to say this, but the only politician to show any real leadership since the sh!t hit the fan is Nicola Sturgeon.

Thank Christ it's not Salmond. He'd be running round like a headless chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    You do realise that badgers are only a protected species in the UK right? and this has nothing to do with the EU, where they are culled to control TB
    What predators have the EU introduced as far as I am aware it was the UK that brought Sea Eagles back . http://www.nfus.org.uk/uploadedFiles...ion%20Plan.pdf

The same with Beavers and on the horizon Lynx & Wolves .

FMD , TB inspection and BSE were major players in vets being introduced into our slaughter houses ,not to mention the rise of Animal rights lobby http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1191286.stm I seriously doubt that any of these will be reversed ,and hopefully if there will be any exports to the EU the rules will still be there .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.