Thread: Farms not factories .

Farms not factories .

http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/celebritie...ve-farming.htm Full of the usual sweeping generalisations .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Re: Farms not factories .

It's a pity the only response the NPA has come out with is to wheel out the Red Tractor again. This Nose Up campaign should be turned to the producers advantage to show just what a scam the Red Tractor scheme really is. The NPA should be showcasing the actual dedication and efforts of UK pig producers and not supporting and defending a poxy tick box Assurance Scheme.

If people really want food produced a certain way then they should either buy it , publicise it and expect to pay what it costs to produce ,instead of assuming it can be produced at 3rd world prices .
    Most of these people earn more in a day than Farmers earn in a year and they expect us to do more ,there are some like Fearnley-Whittingstall who talked up the good in UK ag ` but with the usual suspects of Veggies taking part one cant help being cynical of their motives.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Yes, this crowd using Celebrity status to push their personal anti meat industry views into the public domain is out of order. But it is a fact that pig meat is treated as a commodity by the big retailers and it shouldn't be.

As usual the video was very subjective. The glorious looking outdoor pigs were taken in summer, not when they are up to their eyes in blather.
    Also on the subject of videos, a local pig farmer here was featured in the Daily Mail headlines. The only problem was that the pigs in the video were not his!!
    I started pig farming with an outdoor system some 60 odd years ago. We used to lose piglets frozen to death, got very poor results so were forced to intensify. I will admit there are good outdoor systems now though.
    They compared 1 and a half sausages to two, therefore about 30% dearer. Give the customer a choice in the supermarket, what will she buy?
    Jack Caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    As usual the video was very subjective. r a choice in the supermarket, what will she buy?
    Jack Caley
    And where do they always get that bucket full of empty medicine bottles to say that our pigs " receive routine antibiotics just to keep them alive". I bet that woman with her plastic face has used more antibiotics than any one of my pigs....and a lot of pigs pass through my doors!

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    And where do they always get that bucket full of empty medicine bottles to say that our pigs " receive routine antibiotics just to keep them alive". I bet that woman with her plastic face has used more antibiotics than any one of my pigs....and a lot of pigs pass through my doors!
    At least your pigs , know they are pigs

celebrities making hectoring statements about subjects they know nothing about? whatever next?

https://youtu.be/_SyurgZ8GaQ

Remember kids, cake is a made up drug.

Disappointing that there was no recognition for Red Tractor assurance, or mention of looking for RT logos on pork & pork products.
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    Disappointing that there was no recognition for Red Tractor assurance, or mention of looking for RT logos on pork & pork products.
    Why are you disappointed? It is just another signal to us all that the Red Tractor is absolutely unfit for purpose...farmers in all sectors loathe the scheme altogether and the consumer doesn't recognise it or is particularly interested. It is surely a good time to consign the Farm Assurance industry to the history books as a really bad idea.

Why are you disappointed? It is just another signal to us all that the Red Tractor is absolutely unfit for purpose...farmers in all sectors loathe the scheme altogether and the consumer doesn't recognise it or is particularly interested. It is surely a good time to consign the Farm Assurance industry to the history books as a really bad idea.
    Will never happen- hundreds of jobs made from it.

You sort of answered the question , the annoying thing is the more information we give the more is used as ammunition against us.

This industry shoots itself in the foot every time it tries to promote itself. Milk Marque & it's standard litre was the best example. Now it's Red Tractor! FFA want to promote it...... WHY?.... Because in reality only Arla & FM have their own brands. Everyone else sells direct & the brands belong to the milk buyers. Same goes for meat under supermarket brand names etc etc. Farming needs a commercial drive from experienced people, just the same as has happened with FM. No doubt others will shoot me down but it's my opinion that we need strong, answerable leadership on marketing & not rely on the idea that we produce & leave the rest to someone else

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Will never happen- hundreds of jobs made from it.
    As a member of QMS I received a glossy mailshot in the Post today titled "Livestock" ...selling themselves to the members! Using the very best in promotion and advertising psychology to justify their existence and importance to us. I wonder what it cost and how many salaries it generated but one thing I know for sure is that it has been paid for by us, the victims of the legalised racket.