Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Fuel algae.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,714

    Fuel algae.

    I have searched on this site and there seems to be differing advice about this. I don't have a problem as far as I know but I have a couple of tractors that don't do very much these days. Plus the fact that I am not using as much diesel as I used to. My question is : Should I be adding anything to my plastic storage tank or to my tractor tanks which are all metal ?

    TIA.
    Last edited by zaza; 06-06-16 at 07:53 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Northants
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: Fuel algae.

    Our combine gets parked in the shed with whatever is left in the fuel tank from harvest and isn't touched until we're preparing it for the next one. We've not seen any problems at all with algae in the tank during this time so I think you'll be ok. Worth asking the fuel supplier if they know of any issues maybe although they may just use it as a chance to sell some sort of tank sanitiser product or similar.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    758

    Re: Fuel algae.

    got an old B250d (1959 or '60) - it has been getting maybe 20 gallons of diesel a year for the last decade or two - sits in an open shed all winter - no problems

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: Fuel algae.

    Thanks Foxbox & Ironhead. I read somewhere that because of the inclusion of a percentage of bio-diesel in the diesel of today that algae could be a problem.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Northants
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: Fuel algae.

    We worried about that too, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone suffering problems with it though so I guess it's a bit like the Millennium Bug and turned out to be ok after all. There's plenty of kit across the country sitting idle for large parts of the year to test the theory out too so hopefully you'll be ok!
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    377

    Re: Fuel algae.

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Thanks Foxbox & Ironhead. I read somewhere that because of the inclusion of a percentage of bio-diesel in the diesel of today that algae could be a problem.
    Could be that not much bio-diesel is being included just now because of the low price of crude oil.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    758

    Re: Fuel algae.

    In this part of the world (east coast across "the pond") there isn't much discussion about bio-diesel. Our biggest crops are potatoes, trees and mosquitos - not much bio for the diesel.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glamorgan
    Posts
    1,872

    Re: Fuel algae.

    The more fuel creeps back up the better bio looks ?

  9. #9
    Senior Member robbie956xl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Fermanagh. N. Ireland
    Posts
    113

    Re: Fuel algae.

    Treat the threat of "fuel algae" or "diesel bug" as irrelevant at your peril !!. Remember you need two factors combined to get the dreaded "bug", bio-diesel and moisture.

    Condensation forming within a diesel tank, or a leaky non water tight filler cap are the usual culprits.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    2

    Re: Fuel algae.

    I have heard of a problem with a John Deere, as the quality of the diesel here is not as high as in Germany where they are made

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    N Yorks
    Posts
    1

    Re: Fuel algae.

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I have searched on this site and there seems to be differing advice about this. I don't have a problem as far as I know but I have a couple of tractors that don't do very much these days. Plus the fact that I am not using as much diesel as I used to. My question is : Should I be adding anything to my plastic storage tank or to my tractor tanks which are all metal ?

    TIA.
    There have been some seriously expensive and time wasting cases where diesel has been "contaminated". Your fuel supplier can hopefully advise on a relatively cheap additive that will offer some protection.I would rather be safe than sorry.I understand its the bio diesel that is now being added to diesel that`s made things a lot worse - progress!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    758

    Re: Fuel algae.

    Quote Originally Posted by moorjock View Post
    There have been some seriously expensive and time wasting cases where diesel has been "contaminated". Your fuel supplier can hopefully advise on a relatively cheap additive that will offer some protection.I would rather be safe than sorry.I understand its the bio diesel that is now being added to diesel that`s made things a lot worse - progress!!
    Actually, this makes me remember something one of the small engine repair shops (from Maine, USA) told me they had seen with gasoline.

    gasoline (with ethel) stored in a sealed clear glass container in the shade for 2 months. They were able to see three layers - water, gasoline & alcohol - they figured it was the best thing for their business - everyone needing to get carburetors re-built because the engines started trying to burn water.

    I wonder if the same thing could be happening to the Bio-Diesel? Somebody want to do an experiment?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •