Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out

Out

Ok, now let's bring on a credible Government
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Re: Out

I see where you PM has offered to resign - is that a step forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    I see where you PM has offered to resign - is that a step forward?
    Given the options to replace him, not really.

I actually felt sorry for Cameron making his resignation speech, in many ways he's made the best of a bad job with the economy. The referendum though has been a massive mistake, he's gambled the future of our country in a bid to heal the rift in his own party and it's come back to bite him on the arse. This is his legacy now, it's how history will remember him, thanks to him our future has been decided by people who only yesterday were worried that their votes might be rubbed out if they didn't take their own biro to the polling booth.

I think when the reality of what this vote actually means both in terms of our own businesses, the UK economy and society in general, there's going to be a certain amount of buyers' remorse from the people who though they were sticking it to the man with a brexit protest vote. Unfortunately, unlike with the boatymcboatface poll, someone sensible will not come along and ignore the result and make David Attenborough prime minister instead.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    Given the options to replace him, not really.

I actually felt sorry for Cameron making his resignation speech, in many ways he's made the best of a bad job with the economy. The referendum though has been a massive mistake, he's gambled the future of our country in a bid to heal the rift in his own party and it's come back to bite him on the arse. This is his legacy now, it's how history will remember him, thanks to him our future has been decided by people who only yesterday were worried that their votes might be rubbed out if they didn't take their own biro to the polling booth.

I think when the reality of what this vote actually means both in terms of our own businesses, the UK economy and society in general, there's going to be a certain amount of buyers' remorse from the people who though they were sticking it to the man with a brexit protest vote. Unfortunately, unlike with the boatymcboatface poll, someone sensible will not come along and ignore the result and make David Attenborough prime minister instead.
    To be fair to him I don't think he had much option as to offer a Referendum as he needs to balance everybody's ideas to try and keep a united party , its part of politics, and in the same way as Corbin went down the route of keeping the policy of staying in the EU for the sake of winning support within Labour parliamentary group for banning the bomb.

Now the votes are in ,the question now will be what exactly is going to happen with the terms of our future trading with the EU ,with the overwhelming reason for leaving being over freedom of movement with in the UK for EU citizens ,there will not be any room for the forthcoming leader to compromise on that issue. The big question for Farming is how will we fare in this new world ,with no other country outside the EU having free access for food .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

I don't normally see many British feeds - what was the voter turnout? Has it been broken down by age? (wondering if younger people made a difference as they seemed to do in our last Canadian election)

70% turnout. Nicked from facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7632855&type=3

The UK has voted to leave the EU, as Paddy Ashdown has tweeted “God help our country”.

The turnout has been unprecedented in recent times most likely because “Every Vote Counts”.

Had the UK had PR (STV) in place prior to this we probably would not have had this referendum because we would be working with a moderate coalition.

What a shame that the referendum on PR in 2011 was for the alternative vote AV system and not a true PR system and so not a viable system.

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/s...nsferable-vote

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/alternative-vote

The electorate under the FPTP has felt disenfranchised for years, I am 6* years old and have voted in very election that I have been eligible to do so in the full knowledge that my vote would never actually make any difference to the outcome, because I was brought up and lived all my working life in a “safe seat” constituency.

News programmes this morning going on about David Cameron's Legacy, in particular gay marriage...Just ask yourself would this have happened if we had not had a coalition with ther Lib-Dems at the time ? The actions of the 2010 - 2015 government gave the electorate a false sense of security about the Conservative agenda when in fact the government's actions were being tempered by moderate people.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but had we had a proper PR http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/s...nsferable-vote in place for electing MPs then maybe the electorate would have voted more eagerly at the 2010 and 2015 elections then this referendum would never have been held because the people would have felt that they were already being represented fairly.
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post

- or perhaps the older folk are voting from an experience of life not found on mind numbing "social media" brainwashing leading to "Common Purpose"

Many of the older leave voters I have seen on TV are the typical "Little Englander" racists lets get rid of Johnny Foreigner

On the TV this morning an interview with people in a cafe all thrilled and wanting to cut immigration, all the staff serving them were immigrants, you couldn't make it up.

Btw, do you not realise you posting on social media yourself on here 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Knight View Post

Btw, do you not realise you posting on social media yourself on here 😊
    Yes via an old desktop - not nose glued to phone while walking/driving

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Knight View Post
    Many of the older leave voters I have seen on TV are the typical "Little Englander" racists lets get rid of Johnny Foreigner

On the TV this morning an interview with people in a cafe all thrilled and wanting to cut immigration, all the staff serving them were immigrants, you couldn't make it up.

Btw, do you not realise you posting on social media yourself on here ��
    http://eveningharold.com/2016/06/24/...t-new-economy/ A new era
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    I don't normally see many British feeds - what was the voter turnout? Has it been broken down by age? (wondering if younger people made a difference as they seemed to do in our last Canadian election)
    it is well known that the younger generation were heavily in favour of staying , which helped influence my vote.
    However the younger generation were too lazy to get off their a****s and vote which means we are leaving
    the voting %age in the young was 24% which meant in some portions of the population, turnouts must have been in the order of 90%

very sad day in my opinion
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Well it was rather surprising that the outs won, I didn't think we would do it but we did. they just need to get on and sort things out and move on to better things.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    it is well known that the younger generation were heavily in favour of staying , which helped influence my vote.
    However the younger generation were too lazy to get off their a****s and vote which means we are leaving
    the voting %age in the young was 24% which meant in some portions of the population, turnouts must have been in the order of 90%

very sad day in my opinion
    People complained it was the older generations who voted out mostly and that the young didn't get a say.

Yeah, it was the older folk alight- the ones who have lived through near 30 years of the grief and are now obviously fed up with it.

And about the petition, why is anyone surprised that it now has over a million signatories? Though I would add that this is still a LONG way from the over 10 million 'remain' votes.

Stop being butt hurt by it and face the facts. We can either grasp the opportunities presented by the leave vote, or sit and cry in our milk and just moan like usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    And about the petition, why is anyone surprised that it now has over a million signatories? Though I would add that this is still a LONG way from the over 10 million 'remain' votes.

Stop being butt hurt by it and face the facts. We can either grasp the opportunities presented by the leave vote, or sit and cry in our milk and just moan like usual.
    What are they wanting, a voting system like North Korea where if the result isn't what was wanted it can be ignored?
    If it was very close I'd have more sympathy.

We see this a lot now - an inability to accept that others have a different viewpoint and come to different conclusions.
    So:
    Leave voters 'believed lies'
    Leave voters didn't really mean it but thought it would be a laf
    Leave voters are older so don't know anything or better shouldn't be allowed to vote
    Leave voters must be stupid.

So that's lots of reasons why Remain should have won but some adjustments are needed.
    Or maybe because our bit of UK didn't vote Leave we can somehow separate it off and ignore the other idiots

Personally I think it was stupid and dangerous poll to have agreed to.
    You would think before deciding to put it to vote a reasonably rational plan would be in place to deal with either eventuality.

The problem with a lot of the MPs we have now is that they have never lived in 'Joe Blogg's Britain' and don't want to either - it would mean having to live in the real world like the rest of us,not insulated and out of touch with reality with the attitude 'do as I say not as I do'. I think one of the reasons why us 'plebs' voted out was because of the sheer arrogance of our politicians,the problem now (as I see it) is that our MPs will have to learn how to govern instead of leaving it to the EU and just rubber stamping everything that they decided.

Yes just have to accept it and hope for the best now, it'll be quite funny when the Land of Milk and Honey doesn't materialise, how the leave voters will turn on there HEROES Farage and Boris.
    So much back tracking going on with promises already, reckon they must have a power shuttle built in.

If farming doesn't get the promised support which I doubt it will, be a lot of tears on the other side, reading there they have all won the lottery it seems.

Washington post saying lots of Googling after the poll closed "What is the EU?"

EU really at fault though one size fits all also not giving Dave something better on freedom of movement especially as we were outside Schengen area.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Yes via an old desktop - not nose glued to phone while walking/driving
    But many good post created on an old Desktop,

You'll just need to get a smart phone then so you can catch up with the kids, I eventually did, you'd be amazed how you'd use it to look up stuff.

Just different times, people I believe used to go around reading books in the past.

[QUOTE=Scots_Knight;270217

Just different times, people I believe used to go around reading books in the past.[/QUOTE]

Kept all my books of knowledge, esp quack type ones for when the power goes off!

Sad as I am with the result we just have to get on with it. That is Democracy, the twerps posting how unfair, can I change my mind and lets sign a petition are the sort of idiots who put us in this position not the committed outers who I respect.
    I do see there is going to be a lot of pain down this road and I am very unsure of any long term gain, of any description.
    For certain the civil servants who created all the rules which so plague us, will not lose there jobs and we will not lose the half baked rules which they have imposed.
    We will certainly lose our Agricultural support as there can be no justification for paying large landowners millions of pounds of subsidies.
    I would guess the badger cull will end in the near future, you can be certain animal rights lobby will ratchet up the screw.
    The main beneficiaries will probably be the fishermen, who in many cases sold their quotas to the Spanish so causing such indignation with the EU fisheries policy, that is of course as long as the negotiations do not hand these to Brussels in return for some other spurious concession.
    Immigration, I suspect we will see a big reduction in the useful immigration, with Poles seeing us as anti them , however you can be certain the French will open the floodgates at Calais, why should they stop all these people they don't want trying to get into England
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Let the French release the migrants.

With no EU rules to hide behind, the UK government will now have no reason whatsoever that they can't form an effective immigration policy and deportations can begin in earnest. If they don't they will be destroyed at the next election by an unhappy populace.

It is not racist when people are complaining, legitimately, that they can no longer get a doctors appointment or get their kids into a local school.

Does anyone appreciate the burden migrants pose on the services that we take for granted? Ask a primary school teacher, how many nationalities and languages now sit in front of them in an average morning.

I'm all for migration and I'm the last person I'd define as racist, but there are a lot of people on this little island now and the government has cut spending on services.

Moving on, the Chancellor has gone up in my estimation as he has said he will stay in the slot and has accepted the will of the British people, and will now form a strategy to continue to lead the economy. Mark Carney has said the same.

I have no time at all for any MP moaning out the ass about what has been democratically selected. Tough, get on with it or resign.

If the Scots and Northern Ireland want independence, good luck to them, it is time the government focused on the rest of us.

With no EU rules to hide behind, the UK government will now have no reason whatsoever that they can't form an effective immigration policy and deportations can begin in earnest. If they don't they will be destroyed at the next election by an unhappy populace.

It is not racist when people are complaining, legitimately, that they can no longer get a doctors appointment or get their kids into a local school.

Does anyone appreciate the burden migrants pose on the services that we take for granted? Ask a primary school teacher, how many nationalities and languages now sit in front of them in an average morning.

I'm all for migration and I'm the last person I'd define as racist, but there are a lot of people on this little island now and the government has cut spending on services.

Moving on, the Chancellor has gone up in my estimation as he has said he will stay in the slot and has accepted the will of the British people, and will now form a strategy to continue to lead the economy. Mark Carney has said the same.

I have no time at all for any MP moaning out the ass about what has been democratically selected. Tough, get on with it or resign.

If the Scots and Northern Ireland want independence, good luck to them, it is time the government focused on the rest of us.
    For areas like here in my part of Essex that is total bollax. We had one of the largest votes for out and are not affected by migrants at all. In fact the few I have met are mainly doing low paid care work. In our case we cannot get a doctors appointment since Blair's Govt changed the working practices of GPs. Our lot run a business but only really work part time. They do not work particularly late, no nights no weekends. They are over subscribed yet they rent out part of their premises to an unrelated dental practice.
    Our local secondary school is under capacity and consequently is struggling and accepts trouble from out of catchment which is causing a downward spiral. The trouble are not migrants but mostly white UK born.

I just cannot believe half of the comments not just on this forum but others.

The world is evolving and migration is part of the evolution. Look back in history, people travelled and relocated all over the globe.

Any progressive country will have a huge array of nationalities or rather a diverse collection of nationalities.

I dont blame foreigners for what is wrong here in Ireland. I blame the policy makers for getting it wrong, and those that choose to abuse the system. But I don't see it being a problem if I am in a queue for health, education etc and other nationalities are there before me. Its no secret that during our short celtic boom, we were heavily reliant on our eastern union neighbours, for hard working people, to carry out jobs that are own would not. So now that the boom is gone, and its survival of the fittest; I dont think its really fair that we should export these people.

I think theres a massive elephant in the room and that to do with the social system now in place. We now have a social welfare here in Ireland and the UK, where those that are totally dependant on the state are better off financially than those that work independent of the state. A friend of mine, told me that in the North of Ireland this was the real issue behind the 'flag issue' and most problems. Its the same down south, crime is on the rise; revolving doors etc. But as much as we might want to blame the foreigners, most is being done by our own.

I lived in the UK for three years and never once felt I was an outsider, except for the occasional thug with too much booze. But to hear now so many brits harp on about migrants, I'm glad I didnt settle down in a country where half the population do not like outsiders.

What will be interesting to see now, is how migrants now choose. Will they relocate in other countries where they will feel safer and welcome? Will the UK face problems delivering services such as health care, bin collections, as a huge chunk of eager working foreigners leave?

I'm behind those that believe more has to be done, with creating a better welfare system that is fairer. Blaming foreigners is not the answer.

With no EU rules to hide behind, the UK government will now have no reason whatsoever that they can't form an effective immigration policy and deportations can begin in earnest.
    Good luck with that one.

Over 50% of the immigrants to this country come from outside the EU, there are no EU rules preventing us from controlling this immigration to our country.

If you want to maintain any sort of trading relationship with the single market, we will have to accept freedom of movement will need to be part of such a deal, this is inescapable, the people who voted leave to get rid of the immigrants are going to be disappointed, as are those who are expecting some sort of economic new dawn.

What concerns me more than the potential negative economic impacts of this decision is the fact that we now live in a divided country, Farage and co have stirred up and amplified th discontent of the dis-empowered poor, and i wonder where their anger will go once they realise they've been duped.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    What are they wanting, a voting system like North Korea where if the result isn't what was wanted it can be ignored?
    If it was very close I'd have more sympathy.

We see this a lot now - an inability to accept that others have a different viewpoint and come to different conclusions.
    So:
    Leave voters 'believed lies'
    Leave voters didn't really mean it but thought it would be a laf
    Leave voters are older so don't know anything or better shouldn't be allowed to vote
    Leave voters must be stupid.

So that's lots of reasons why Remain should have won but some adjustments are needed.
    Or maybe because our bit of UK didn't vote Leave we can somehow separate it off and ignore the other idiots

Personally I think it was stupid and dangerous poll to have agreed to.
    You would think before deciding to put it to vote a reasonably rational plan would be in place to deal with either eventuality.
    All it is, is a petition that anyone can set up ,and the only thing that will come out of it is a debate in the House of Commons which could happen anyway at some stage regardless , no need for anyone to get exited , The Donald hasn't been stopped from visiting his golf course in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    Ok, now let's bring on a credible Government

Bump!

In or out, Con or Lab, who can see the credible leadership? Who's it going to be? Obviously Boris will be a strong candidate but perhaps not the right man (person) at this time.

Is there anyone in the wings that can drive the bus, that can lead us Moses like (and no I'm not religious...) out of the 'wilderness'.
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

IDS would be a good choice, out of the limited options within the Conservative Party. Although his previous unhappy time as party leader makes it unlikely he'll be in the running.

Boris isn't to be trusted, I'm affraid.

IDS is certainly someone I could support, but we may be in a minority on that. I don't know Boris personally, but I too don't trust him. In his support, people in his school class, and his university friends, say that his buffoonery is an attempt to disguise the fact he's very clever, and comes from a very wealthy family, because he wants to be "one of the boys". Maybe. I'm not convinced.

IDS on poll closing programmes talking about "Council Estate Voters"!.........I thought we had moved on from the auto class discrimination of the elitist Tory Party.
    Pretty crass choice of words.
    DC resigned. Nothing is going to happen until article 50 is implemented. No one in the remain group....who happen to be in power at the moment are going to do anything about it in a hurry, nothing until after DC is replaced at least, new leader elected. .????? Theresa May? Still no article 50 progression.....EU reducing to a small rump of its former self as other exit votes or the threat of, take precedence.
    Snap General election with a "Tory Remain" manifesto pledge as their clarion call. Labour Party still engaged in civil war with UKIP chewing away at their vote, Scotland firmly SNP.
    Come November December UK stays in what was formerly the EU with a new Tory government.