Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Out

Re: Out

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    IDS would be a good choice, out of the limited options within the Conservative Party. Although his previous unhappy time as party leader makes it unlikely he'll be in the running.

Boris isn't to be trusted, I'm affraid.
    In the words of the French....

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post

I would say a 70% turnout is pretty decisive - what was the turnout in the last couple of elections? anywhere near 70%?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    I would say a 70% turnout is pretty decisive - what was the turnout in the last couple of elections? anywhere near 70%?
    2015 General Election turnout was 66% in UK; 2010 it was 65%

Where we usually struggle is in 'fringe' elections e.g. a month or two ago we had elections for 'Police & Crime Commissioners' i.e. civilians who are empowered to give direction to the Police Force (oops sorry Police Service) ​and the turnout there, depending on where you are, averaged 20 - 30%
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    IDS is certainly someone I could support, but we may be in a minority on that. I don't know Boris personally, but I too don't trust him. In his support, people in his school class, and his university friends, say that his buffoonery is an attempt to disguise the fact he's very clever, and comes from a very wealthy family, because he wants to be "one of the boys". Maybe. I'm not convinced.
    It won't be IDS (thank feck).

He's said he doesn't want it for starters, but even if he did, the conservatives choose a new leader by a ballot of the MPs, the top two candidates are then voted on by the members of the conservative party. It's highly likely the two lucky contenders for the chance to preside over the destruction of the UK economy and break up of the union will be Boris and A N Other, probably Teresa May, but say for instance it was Boris and IDS, who would the membership vote for?

So, whoever it gets to be our next prime minister will be decided upon by 125,000 conservative party members, way to #takebackcontrol guys.

I would add that anyone who has been a member for three months or more can vote in the leadership election, so if one were to join now you'd have a say in the next tory leader, it's only 2 quid a month, worth thinking about:

https://www.conservatives.com/membershipdd

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    It won't be IDS (thank feck).

He's said he doesn't want it for starters, but even if he did, the conservatives choose a new leader by a ballot of the MPs, the top two candidates are then voted on by the members of the conservative party. It's highly likely the two lucky contenders for the chance to preside over the destruction of the UK economy and break up of the union will be Boris and A N Other, probably Teresa May, but say for instance it was Boris and IDS, who would the membership vote for?

So, whoever it gets to be our next prime minister will be decided upon by 125,000 conservative party members, way to #takebackcontrol guys.

I would add that anyone who has been a member for three months or more can vote in the leadership election, so if one were to join now you'd have a say in the next tory leader, it's only 2 quid a month, worth thinking about:

https://www.conservatives.com/membershipdd
    Boaty McBoatface? As far as I see it, there is no-one, either side, who has the 'iron fist, velvet glove' approach necessary to invoke and administrate Article 50 while carrying us, the population of This Island Race, along with confidence and charisma.

p.s. the BBC wants to stop talking us into doom and gloom. Fair enough, the England soccer team have done that for us, but no game, business deal, conflict or examination was ever won by the participants thinking it's lost before taking to the arena.

Bye bye Dave, Jeremy?, Roy......thank god for English rugby

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    Boaty McBoatface? As far as I see it, there is no-one, either side, who has the 'iron fist, velvet glove' approach necessary to invoke and administrate Article 50 while carrying us, the population of This Island Race, along with confidence and charisma.

p.s. the BBC wants to stop talking us into doom and gloom. Fair enough, the England soccer team have done that for us, but no game, business deal, conflict or examination was ever won by the participants thinking it's lost before taking to the arena.

Errrr isn't the England Coach an Immigrant?

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Errrr isn't the England Coach an Immigrant?
    Absolutely - and when he started we kept him waiting in Hong Kong for a week, unable to enter, until his visa issues had been sorted out

But he's acknowledged to be the best for the job - and how all staff should be hired irrespective of race or creed

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post

TBF the BBC are there to report on the facts, not act as a state broadcaster to cheer lead the economy, it's not the BBC's reporting of reality that's causing the pound and the markets to crash, that's reality itself doing that.

Anyway. at least the England football team have taken heed of the public vote and got out of Europe at the first possible opportunity.

Says it all really.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

TBF the BBC are there to report on the facts, not act as a state broadcaster to cheer lead the economy, it's not the BBC's reporting of reality that's causing the pound and the markets to crash, that's reality itself doing that.

Anyway. at least the England football team have taken heed of the public vote and got out of Europe at the first possible opportunity.
    a bit naive joe? the bbc always report with varying degrees of bias.like yesterday lunch time news.a reporter went to great lengths to spell out how much extra our goods will cost and how much worse off we will be because of the weak pound.but he didnt follow on with the advantages our exporters will have which will in turn bring more money into the country.im sure someone will disagree with me but the problem i see is that the uk doesnt seem to want to be an exporting nation like india china or germany. to create wealth you needto make or grow or fish to have things to sell. we are obsessed with trendy bars cafes, services and call centres. a weak pound might give farming and exporters half a chance

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    a bit naive joe? the bbc always report with varying degrees of bias.like yesterday lunch time news.a reporter went to great lengths to spell out how much extra our goods will cost and how much worse off we will be because of the weak pound.but he didnt follow on with the advantages our exporters will have which will in turn bring more money into the country.im sure someone will disagree with me but the problem i see is that the uk doesnt seem to want to be an exporting nation like india china or germany. to create wealth you needto make or grow or fish to have things to sell. we are obsessed with trendy bars cafes, services and call centres. a weak pound might give farming and exporters half a chance
    The problem is we cannot survive on what we physically produce. We became an Economy based on services years ago and that propped up by borrowing and QE. Tough time ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    We became an Economy based on services years ago
    and just why was that?

I cant imagine the BBC making a program like this .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

As "The BBC sees them"

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    The problem is we cannot survive on what we physically produce. We became an Economy based on services years ago and that propped up by borrowing and QE. Tough time ahead?
    Pre-Referendum there was a BBC Breakfast 'consumer' piece where in a supermarket a packet of Danish bacon was picked up. The reporter asked the 'expert' whether, if there was an 'out' vote, would that pack of bacon be more expensive?

The answer was typical nonsense and went something like - 'a) it may go up in price, or b) it may even be cheaper, or c) there again it may stay around the same price'. It's not the BBC that gave the numpty answer but option d) 'You could always buy your bacon from a UK producer' wasn't suggested and thus not in the mix.

We need to reinvigorate our economy by thinking British. Of course many consumer products are no longer available and we might quite like Italian ice cream, Greek yoghurt, French wine and so on ad infinitum but there's also plenty of home grown, home built choice in addition. Via the supermarkets and the consumer 'demand' for white goods, electronics and clothing from China and the Indian subcontinent those choices are forgotten.

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Well England are out. 2 - 1 what a result for the Icelanders.
    Let's man up and get on with it.
    Nothing to fear but fear itself

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    Well England are out. 2 - 1 what a result for the Icelanders.
    Let's man up and get on with it.
    Nothing to fear but fear itself
    Looks like Ian Duncan Smith did the team talk again.

Nothing ever changes as we have heard on the TV with the Europeans condemning us in the EU parliament, the spite was hardly concealed.
    The misguided Scots MEP seemed to be begging the bully not to hit him, looked a bit pathetic to me.

Seems like we need a bit of the old Dunkirk Spirit when we were left to fight the Germans, Italians and the Vichy French in 1940.
    We stood up to them then and looked elsewhere to survive, believed in ourselves, had our backs to the wall and persevered as one nation, this country has guts.

The more I hear from the Europeans spouting hatred and no deal the happier I am for us coming out of it.
    I never signed up to be ruled by foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by Maervale View Post
    Nothing ever changes as we have heard on the TV with the Europeans condemning us in the EU parliament, the spite was hardly concealed.
    The misguided Scots MEP seemed to be begging the bully not to hit him, looked a bit pathetic to me.

Seems like we need a bit of the old Dunkirk Spirit when we were left to fight the Germans, Italians and the Vichy French in 1940.
    We stood up to them then and looked elsewhere to survive, believed in ourselves, had our backs to the wall and persevered as one nation, this country has guts.

The more I hear from the Europeans spouting hatred and no deal the happier I am for us coming out of it.
    I never signed up to be ruled by foreigners.
    Yes indeed the Subtle approach that will get us more than we have now .

Just like this Idiot seems to think. So much for pulling together.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Trying to look beyond the trivial at the present, I'm thinking that it would be quite clever for the uk govt to kick the article 50 can down the road indefinitely and await the outcome of all the elections on the continent that are imminent. If necessary it could be dragged out by taking a case to the European courts should the other members try to push the issue. Perhaps invite the leaders of Greece and the Netherlands for afternoon tea at no 10 and a photo opportunity.Maybe talk over a unilateral deal post EU. The meerest whiff of a Grexit followed by a default on their loans and the Germans will keek themselves as they simply cannot afford to lose all the money they loaned the Greeks. A debt free and substantially reformed Greece could make a go of it going forward if they had a bilateral trade deal with the commonwealth . There are plenty of opportunities for the UK to turn the screw on the rest of the continent if it becomes necessary. The second biggest economy in the EU is already leaving, if a couple more "grew a set" and joined the UK it could be a whole new rival organisation, France and Ireland would be a good start and the Greeks could really get the numbers up as long as we don't lend them any money. Plenty of twists and turns to be had yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    We import more than we export. Was that not one of the main reasons the leavers gave for brexit. Weak currency is bound to give us inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post

I cant imagine the BBC making a program like this .
    What else can be said. Probably one of the better analysis!!

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Anyone researched Jean Claude Junckers CV?.
    From what I have read he seems to fit exactly the perfect profile for a Euro beaurocrat.
    He's a lying, cheating, corrupt, two faced shit. As Pm Of the mighty Luxembourg he was up to his neck in corruption and lucky not to be in the jail.
    So twisted he could hide behind a cork screw.
    Then he has the cheek to blame the Britexits for peddling lies.
    Feck off you shit.
    The vitriol being directed at the UK is simply that these buggers realise the game may be up and their coats are on shaky nails.
    Merkel et al are filling their pants as their imminent elections may not return the result they want and the big European project is seen as being built on sand.
    Anyway what happened to democracy?
    Oh the European Commission is appointed not elected oh silly me.

Having had a happy time for many years living and working in Scotland I was ashamed to see that begging little person from there almost on his knees for the EU to save them from the nasty UK.
    Sadly no braveheart there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Having had a happy time for many years living and working in Scotland I was ashamed to see that begging little person from there almost on his knees for the EU to save them from the nasty UK.
    There was a vast difference between the attitude and performances of Nigel Farage and Scottish MEP and SNP supporter Alyn Smith.

But when the European MEPs stated that if the UK wanted to trade with Europe, it would have to abide by the EU rules, Farage should have
    warned them that in that case the reverse would equally apply. The UK is in fact in a very strong position regarding reciprocal trade with the EU.

The Scottish support for ''Remain'' seems to be the most contentious issue and needs a bit more analysis. If you remove about 30% of SNP supporters who I guess voted ''Remain'' simply because of loyalty to Queen Nicola, the rest of the Scottish voters would have been equally split.

There is also an equally important fact that only Ruth Davidson has touched on. The 'Home market'' with English and Wales is about 4x as important
    to Scotland than the EU market. If there is any disruption of the Home market, because of a possible English backlash it could have a devastating impact on our market for Scottish produce - beef, lamb, venison, shortbread and whisky, not to mention the Crankies. Or is it the 'Krankies'' ?

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    Anyone researched Jean Claude Junckers CV?.
    From what I have read he seems to fit exactly the perfect profile for a Euro beaurocrat.
    He's a lying, cheating, corrupt, two faced shit. As Pm Of the mighty Luxembourg he was up to his neck in corruption and lucky not to be in the jail.
    So twisted he could hide behind a cork screw.
    Then he has the cheek to blame the Britexits for peddling lies.
    Feck off you shit.
    The vitriol being directed at the UK is simply that these buggers realise the game may be up and their coats are on shaky nails.
    Merkel et al are filling their pants as their imminent elections may not return the result they want and the big European project is seen as being built on sand.
    Anyway what happened to democracy?
    Oh the European Commission is appointed not elected oh silly me.

Can't help it but JCJ on TV always comes over to me as a sort of Sepp Blatter lookalike with his mannerisms etc, while the more comes out about the EU's setup makes me think of Bernie Madoff and his ponzi scheme, only its governments, banks and investors now caught a bit in the open following Brexit, question is will they still be able to balance the pyramid and keep the gravy train running
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    The Scottish support for ''Remain'' seems to be the most contentious issue and needs a bit more analysis.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...shed-by-spani/

Well it's not looking great for her aspirations so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Yes a bit OTT I thought myself, was just waiting for him to go down on his knees and start crying and wailing!!

I voted IN but it wasn't because I'm in love with Europe just thought it was the most pragmatic choice for farming / economy.

If and it's perhaps a big if, we could get a decent deal might not be so bad out, who knows, EU is getting a bit like the former USSR, surprised we haven't had to harmonize tractor paint work colour!!

Don't think were getting the single market without the movement of people, suspect Boris knew that all along!!
    More interested in number 10!!

BBC News - "The FTSE 100 has surged through the level it closed at last Thursday, recovering all of the ground it had lost in the wake of the Brexit vote"

Blip or trend?

LOL, FTSE rebounds to pre-ref levels. Should we be surprised?

You guys moaning it was like the beginnings of a nuclear winter, what a collection of big girls blouses. Nothing changed overnight, people still got up to go to work and continued spending their money, driving the economy.

I had a great laugh at the bluster in the EU parliament yesterday, they are worried others will now seek a referendum, Denmark will be next, just you watch.

Old Merkel keeps talking about the EU 'project'. Don't you folk get it? This is about a government who want control of 300 million drones, all kept in line with the same EU court, same EU fiscal and monetary policy and all with little or no democratic accountability.

We are far far better off that rotten and rat infested ship. Europe's time has gone. The French were striking over being asked to work more than 36 hours a week, the PIGS are stuck in a noose, the only winners are the Germans who work hard and export a lot of goods.

Another 20 years and the Chinese and Indians will be much much bigger players, and you will be glad our government forged the trade links and business deals they did. It will be sad to see Trump lead the Americans into a stagnant and backstage role but that is where protectionism and isolationism will get you, and the American electorate will only get the President they deserve.