Thread: Mixing your own meal

Mixing your own meal

Hi what's people's thoughts on mixing your own meal buying the straights from the mill n mixing it in a paddle feeder?

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: Mixing your own meal

Well I notice you are in NI so the first thing you need to think about is the potential issues with quality assurance if you are in the scheme as mixing your own opens a whole can of worms, there are specific inspections and standards to meet for home mixing. Of course if you were putting straights into the wagon at the time of mixing the ration with the silage that isn't home meal mixing other than that it can work well enough, where there isn't decent storage vermin, rats and starlings etc can rapidly become an issue. And finally where everybody falls down is leaning over the rail in the market blowing about how much money they saved conveniently leaving the hours of labour,fuel and wear and tear out of the equation. We get ours mixed in a feeder wagon by a quality assured miller nearby and just cart it home. I have considered mixing in the wagon but it would be a lot more hassle and some investment would be required too so my medium term plan is to get a bin and let the miller blow the mix in. Farmers are the first to complain about making no money and the last to do any costings especially of fuel and their own time.

You can do your own blends/meals, some people do it very successfully. You need good storage for the ingredients, and you need to have a good grasp of the market or long term contracts- trying to juggle the on going purchase costs of straight raw materials can be difficult, and supplies are not always guaranteed as you are relying on boats arriving. You also need to keep a close eye on your stocks of raw materials- run out and you might upset your cows in a big way.

Delivery is usually cheaper as you are moving bigger tonnages and don't need blower wagons.

You need a good man on the mixer wagon- not some Saturday boy who might accidentally put an extra 500kg of soya in the mix on a wet Sunday morning the day before Christmas- accuracy is very important.

I don't know how much total feed you would need to be buying to make it worthwhile or economic, for larger herds with plenty of staff and buildings, it can work very well. For smaller herds, who are only using 10 tonnes a month or something, I doubt it would be worthwhile, it would be more hassle than it is worth.

It is hard work on equipment mixing blends or meals and it can get dusty. You will also need to roll grains as well, which is another cost.

The additional cost of manufactured blends or meals is somewhat offset by convenience and uniformity of the product, plus the ability to use other ingredients- I used to have about 22 products to play with, for example.

It can certainly be done though. I have several customers which do it. It does seem like a lot of work to me though.

[QUOTE=Uwork4menow;271182]You can do your own blends/meals, some people do it very successfully. You need good storage for the ingredients, and you need to have a good grasp of the market or long term contracts- trying to juggle the on going purchase costs of straight raw materials can be difficult, and supplies are not always guaranteed as you are relying on boats arriving. You also need to keep a close eye on your stocks of raw materials- run out and you might upset your cows in a big way.

Delivery is usually cheaper as you are moving bigger tonnages and don't need blower wagons.

You need a good man on the mixer wagon- not some Saturday boy who might accidentally put an extra 500kg of soya in the mix on a wet Sunday morning the day before Christmas- accuracy is very important.

I don't know how much total feed you would need to be buying to make it worthwhile or economic, for larger herds with plenty of staff and buildings, it can work very well. For smaller herds, who are only using 10 tonnes a month or something, I doubt it would be worthwhile, it would be more hassle than it is worth.

It is hard work on equipment mixing blends or meals and it can get dusty. You will also need to roll grains as well, which is another cost.

The additional cost of manufactured blends or meals is somewhat offset by convenience and uniformity of the product, plus the ability to use other ingredients- I used to have about 22 products to play with, for example.

It can certainly be done though. I have several customers which do it. It does seem like a lot of work to me though.[/QUOTE
    Obviously from the website at the bottom of my threads, you will see I have an axe to grind. We believe our mill/mixers make something of the order of 300,000 tonnes of feed in the UK, NI and Southern Ireland.

A rule of thumb as to home milling and mixing would be based on a rough estimate of some 50 per tonne between ingredient costs and delivered price of compounds, some may be more. Work out your figures from that, although another factor to take in to account is that you do know the quality of the ingredients. Compounds based on least cost formulation do not always perform.
    We have several machines. In NI, as far as. I know. None of. The have any problems with quality control,,
    Jack Caley

[QUOTE=Jack_Caley;271186]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    You can do your own blends/meals, some people do it very successfully. You need good storage for the ingredients, and you need to have a good grasp of the market or long term contracts- trying to juggle the on going purchase costs of straight raw materials can be difficult, and supplies are not always guaranteed as you are relying on boats arriving. You also need to keep a close eye on your stocks of raw materials- run out and you might upset your cows in a big way.

It can certainly be done though. I have several customers which do it. It does seem like a lot of work to me though.[/QUOTE
    Obviously from the website at the bottom of my threads, you will see I have an axe to grind. We believe our mill/mixers make something of the order of 300,000 tonnes of feed in the UK, NI and Southern Ireland.

A rule of thumb as to home milling and mixing would be based on a rough estimate of some 50 per tonne between ingredient costs and delivered price of compounds, some may be more. Work out your figures from that, although another factor to take in to account is that you do know the quality of the ingredients. Compounds based on least cost formulation do not always perform.
    We have several machines. In NI, as far as. I know. None of. The have any problems with quality control,,
    Jack Caley

Hi Jack

I don't doubt the volumes you talk of, it is a bigger game in the pig and poultry world.

But there isn't anyone in the UK making 50 on a tonne of anything in the feed game these days.

Quote Originally Posted by massey mad View Post
    Hi what's people's thoughts on mixing your own meal buying the straights from the mill n mixing it in a paddle feeder?
    I done it for many years starting in the late eighties. It wasn't cost that drove me to it, it was herd health, but the big swing to TMR during the nineties subsequently addressed a lot of those issues anyway so whether it would be viable/necessary now or not is questionable.

Cost savings were made by buying barley off the combine at harvest time and then storing it acid treated, I would then have bought one or two other ingredients in bulk depending on what was good value e.g. citrus and brewers. These three things would then have formed the basis of that winters rations.

But you then lost a bit by having to buy smaller quantities of particular things to tweak the rations to the exact job you wanted them to do e.g. yellow meal, soya, maize flakes, linseed, etc. But then we were milking and also taking all calves through to beef so you needed a dairy ration, calf starter, calf rearer, store ration, finishing ration, and for me being able to tailor the ration to the job exact required and the forage being fed was what made the time and effort all worthwhile.

Different game now though!